500 Year Old Canadian Town

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...

No votes

Total votes: 0

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ancient-york-c ... 09740.html

Take a look at this. Everybody has heard of the Mayan,Aztec and Incan cities but their also have been an Eldorado in the Amazon,a city found in the southern USA plains and now this here in Canada. Of course there have always been towns with houses [ though smaller ] on the west coast of BC. That residential school policy was a crine against humanity

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

That is very interesting, and cool. It's a shame most of the great cities, and cultures was decimated from plagues after the Spanish arrived .
Just across the river from me in Indiana there was a major Indian settlement, and the next state over you had the great mound builders.
Likely if not for the smallest of things the immigration from Europe wouldn't have been so easy.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Once I have finally finished reading three more Canadian history books by Pierre Berton [ Vimy , The War Of 1812 and his one on the French British war in Canada ] I intend to start reading about Canadian history topics that interest me.I am mostly learning Canadian history now as I decided that I should know Canadian history alot better than I do. One topic that I am curious about is from something I read in a book earlir this year The Trail Of 1858. There was a brief mention that the native population was decimated around this time by an illness. I think it was smallpox,90% to 95% of the native population in BC died. Were the British fur traders deliberately giving the natives furs with smallpox as they had in other places in the past to decimate the native population ? Why doesn't anyone know about this ? The survivors must have been traumatised. Are there any records of their experiences ? I remember in 2007 in Kelowna having a beer after work out in a park with an older coworker who had lived an interesting life. He had gone for a 300 mile walk in the Northwest Territories and he came accross a native village which had been wiped out by the flu. Their skin was still on them, their wigwams were still standing, birds wouldn't fly over and it was very spooky. He couldn't stay there.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It was very common place to trade blankets with smallpox, and other stuff like Yellow fever.
What a horror, and many saw it as a punishment because they didn't know how it was spread .
The worst part would be an infected person would travel to the next settlement spreading it more.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

So who is really first nation ?
This isn't showing the ones who came from the east, that may, or may not have been the first in the Americas.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18770963
Americas 'settled in three waves'

Most indigenous Americans are descended from a single group of migrants, but later waves of people made important contributions
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

The biggest survey of Native American DNA has concluded that the New World was settled in three major waves.

But the majority of today's indigenous Americans descend from a single group of migrants that crossed from Asia to Alaska 15,000 years ago or more.

Previous genetic data have lent support to the idea that America was colonised by a single migrant wave.

An international team of researchers have published their findings in the journal Nature.
Continue reading the main story
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.
sent from my desktop using a keyboard
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Blue Frost wrote:It was very common place to trade blankets with smallpox, and other stuff like Yellow fever.
What a horror, and many saw it as a punishment because they didn't know how it was spread .
The worst part would be an infected person would travel to the next settlement spreading it more.

i read a few months ago a very interesting book The Trail Of 1858 which is about the BC Goldrush and the founding of this province. It briefly mentioned that the native population was decimated at this time by some illness possibly smallpox or influenza I forgot which. Wouldn't this have have traumatised all survivors ? Are there any accounts documented by the survivors I wonder ?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Unless some missionary wrote it down only word of mouth would survive. The natives, and even our own cultures used to rely on our own memories.
It's a shame the annihilation of the many peoples in the Americas, it's estimated that eighty million died in South America alone or more.
genocide088

Re: 500 Year Old Canadian Town

i saw that too Mantle. is one of the most exciting things to happen in archeology in Ontario

heres the documentary i did watch it before yes its long but if you can watch it i have

or can see this below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_Site
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: 500 Year Old Canadian Town

The Huron were portrayed in the movie The Last Of The Mohicans and in the movie I think was titled Black Robe. These Jesuit priests arrived just smallpox almost genocided the Huron. I read the Wikipedia article but haven’t had time to watch the video yet.