Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

Fish Sauce is Mediterranean, and especially Italian, maybe not as much today, but it has been for thousands of years.
It's not bad stuff I guess, but I rarely have seen it on American dishes.
I could see it on pizza, not an American style one though which is a lot different than a real Italian one.
The Americanized stuff is always Americanized, usually nothing close to the real thing.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:47 pm Fish Sauce is Mediterranean, and especially Italian, maybe not as much today, but it has been for thousands of years.
I could see it on pizza, not an American style one though which is a lot different than a real Italian one.
The Americanized stuff is always Americanized, usually nothing close to the real thing.
You're talking about "colatura". That's not fish sauce or at least not in the sense of "Asian" fish sauce. Traditional Colatura only used 2 ingredients, anchovies and salt. If you put anchovies on pizza you essentially have the same shit.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:08 am
Odinson wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:47 pm Pineapple... Pretty weird on spaghetti.

Oregano... Never tried it on Spaghetti... Might be good.

Everything else in that list is good.

I've been eating green pasta lately... The texture is better but it aint any healthier.

It only looks healthy. :teehe:
The oregano, onion and garlic are all normal for sauce. You can add it to spaghetti afterward also if you like... It's the pineapple that kills it... Just weird and unappetizing.... :yuk: But hey, some people eat Spaghetti Os right out of a can :kez:

Actually green pasta or spinach pasta is better for you than semolina pasta. It's high in vitamin A which is good for eye health. It also has higher amounts of vitamin B6 and has a lot less carbs than egg noodles. Whole grain pasta is probably the best for you as it has the most nutrients but the texture can be kind of gritty...Also there is chick pea pasta which is make of chick pea flour. That is somewhat lower in carbs compared to traditional semolina based pasta.
I have to try the oregano.

I usually buy the green or the darker colored pasta... The darker colored is whole grain pasta.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:50 am
Blue Frost wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:47 pm Fish Sauce is Mediterranean, and especially Italian, maybe not as much today, but it has been for thousands of years.
You're talking about "colatura". That's not fish sauce or at least not in the sense of "Asian" fish sauce. Traditional Colatura only used 2 ingredients, anchovies and salt. If you put anchovies on pizza you essentially have the same shit.
If that's the fermented stuff then it might be, I'm not familiar with Colatura.
Fish sauce goes way back, the Greeks likely turned the Romans onto it, and that's where it comes from.
The Romans took the Idea to an all new level, and mass produced, and exported it.
Still Greeks, and Italians use the stuff, at least I have been told years back.
I was told they use it on about everything they can, this was from an Italian I knew.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:47 pm
Fish sauce goes way back, the Greeks likely turned the Romans onto it, and that's where it comes from.
The Romans took the Idea to an all new level, and mass produced, and exported it.
I was told they use it on about everything they can, this was from an Italian I knew.
Yes, colatura is very old it dates back to ancient Rome when it was called "garum". It's made by putting anchovy fillets in a barrel with salt. The barrel has holes in the bottom so as the fish ferments in the salt the liquid drips out of the bottom and that's the sauce. It's made from only one kind of anchovy found off the cost of Amalfi which is just south of Naples so it is a traditional southern Italian sauce/spice. My guess it that it didn't come from the Greeks but rather the Etruscans.

Asian fish sauce is similar but different. First they don't use anchovies. They use whatever high oil garbage fish they can find. They add a lot of sweeteners to it like molasses and it has a totally different taste. Also colatura is aged about 3 times longer than that zipper fish sauce and it doesn't have the all the chemical additives and preservatives the Asian shit does.

Colatura is used in Cesar salad a lot of times as well as other salad dressings. You can use it on pasta dishes to add a savory taste that is needed on bland food... I'm not aware of it being used on pizza. It's also kind of expensive because of the length of the aging process and the fact that only one type of fish is used. A 4oz bottle will run you anywhere from $20 to $35 a bottle at specialty Italian food stores so I can't imagine using a lot of it. It's also very, very strong and a little goes a long way.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:50 pm
Odinson wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:47 pm Pineapple... Pretty weird on spaghetti.

I've been eating green pasta lately... The texture is better but it aint any healthier.

The oregano, onion and garlic are all normal for sauce. You can add it to spaghetti afterward also if you like... It's the pineapple that kills it... Just weird and unappetizing.... :yuk: But hey, some people eat Spaghetti Os right out of a can :kez:

Actually green pasta or spinach pasta is better for you than semolina pasta. It's high in vitamin A which is good for eye health. It also has higher amounts of vitamin B6 and has a lot less carbs than egg noodles. Whole grain pasta is probably the best for you as it has the most nutrients but the texture can be kind of gritty...Also there is chick pea pasta which is make of chick pea flour. That is somewhat lower in carbs compared to traditional semolina based pasta.

I usually buy the green or the darker colored pasta... The darker colored is whole grain pasta.
Just use what is called "Italian seasoning" if you can get it there... It has dried oregan, basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme in it and I think a touch of fennel. I use that alot in Italian cooking. You can do it fresh as well if you have a food processor. If you use the dry stuff just remember to crush it in your hand first to release the flavor.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:31 am
Blue Frost wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:47 pm
Yes, colatura is very old it dates back to ancient Rome when it was called "garum". It's made by putting anchovy fillets in a barrel with salt. The barrel has holes in the bottom so as the fish ferments in the salt the liquid drips out of the bottom and that's the sauce. It's made from only one kind of anchovy found off the cost of Amalfi which is just south of Naples so it is a traditional southern Italian sauce/spice. My guess it that it didn't come from the Greeks but rather the Etruscans.

Asian fish sauce is similar but different. First they don't use anchovies. They use whatever high oil garbage fish they can find. They add a lot of sweeteners to it like molasses and it has a totally different taste. Also colatura is aged about 3 times longer than that zipper fish sauce and it doesn't have the all the chemical additives and preservatives the Asian shit does.

Colatura is used in Cesar salad a lot of times as well as other salad dressings. You can use it on pasta dishes to add a savory taste that is needed on bland food... I'm not aware of it being used on pizza. It's also kind of expensive because of the length of the aging process and the fact that only one type of fish is used. A 4oz bottle will run you anywhere from $20 to $35 a bottle at specialty Italian food stores so I can't imagine using a lot of it. It's also very, very strong and a little goes a long way.
I think old Bill used it a lot growing up, he died maybe 20 years ago, and was almost 90.
My guess is his mother feed him it in the crib since he talked about the stuff all the time.
Big guy, loved his Dago food as he called it.
I loved old Bill, great old soul even if he always had something he wanted me to do for him.
Damn old guy ruined an expensive pair of loppers of mine using them as a fire poker.

He was an old WW2 vet, he is the one who worked on aircraft for the likes of Pape Boington.
He was sent to the pacific theater of war maybe because of his Ancestry, and name :think:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:41 am
Odinson wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:50 pm

Just use what is called "Italian seasoning" if you can get it there... It has dried oregan, basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme in it and I think a touch of fennel. I use that alot in Italian cooking. You can do it fresh as well if you have a food processor. If you use the dry stuff just remember to crush it in your hand first to release the flavor.
I found some variation of that spice mix... It looks to be in powder form.

Do you eat your pasta as just pasta or do you eat it on the side of meatballs for example?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odi you can get fresh Oregano, and if you have to get the bottled form get the leaf, or shredded leaf form.
Use it in your sauce, or in what you like to taste, it can get to be a bit much for some people.
I grew my own for a while, was really good compared to the dried out stuff.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Happy Lunar New Year :)
Year of the Rabbit I believe.
I wonder how that Rabbit taste :teehe: I never had rabbit.
So, anyone have a good start to the weekend ?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Well how goes it :)
I woke to snow, and ice today, I wasn't expecting this mess,
I was going to try to go walk some today, but I guess Ill stick inside.
How about you, keeping warm, and cozy :)

I have some chili in the fridge, i will be feeling pretty good later after I heat that up, and cover it in cheese. :yum2:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

I bought a new helmet.

I didnt notice until later that it has a new type of strap lock.

A fidlock... A magnetic lock.

Helmets usually have D-ring straps.

It still has a metal hook and the magnet just secures the hooks together.

Its a lot easier than the D-ring strap thats for sure.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:54 pm Happy Lunar New Year :)
It tastes like chicken. No shit.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:26 am I bought a new helmet.

I didn't know they made helmets big enough for your giant head.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:50 pm
Blue Frost wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:54 pm Happy Lunar New Year :)
It tastes like chicken. No shit.
Why things taste like Chicken all the time :laugh: you know T-Rex tasted like them, they are about the same creature.
Frog legs taste like chicken faintly.
Squid taste like an inner tube off a well rode bike, gotta wonder how that happened. :teehe:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Those are good locks till it sticks to everything metal, and you get crud built up on it like metal filings.
I like them still, but my only experience with them has been on a gun strap.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:52 pm

I didn't know they made helmets big enough for your giant head.
It is hard to find a helmet because I think most brands dont make really big helmets and the ones that do are usually out of stock.

509 makes big helmets.

I can squeeze my head into a smaller helmet but it wont be comfortable and I cant breathe properly because my mouth is pressed on the jaw guard. :teehe:

It depends on the design as well.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:30 pm

Those are good locks till it sticks to everything metal, and you get crud built up on it like metal filings.
I like them still, but my only experience with them has been on a gun strap.
Its easy to answer the phone or something like that since you can unstrap the helmet in a second.

The magnetic seal feels strong enough for it not be opened by a metal button of your coat. :teehe:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I still like the clasp, but packing a rifle is different than a helmet.
I can unclasp the pinch points just as fast as the magnets.
The magnets I can see the attraction of ease, but secure is better on a helmet, and gun.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I just got me a new monitor, a big 42" one for gaming.
I hooked up my new computer up also for it, I got to get used to this stuff.
All up to date, and speed out the wazoo.
The hard part is getting all the settings right for me, and passwords figured out again.
The brightness is already Burning my retinas out :wacko:

What a mess I have in here right now.

Oh! Went to the doctor this morning about my heart, I got back for an echo soon, but back to the doctor in six months.
He said I was doing a good job caring for myself, and me changing the meds was a good thing.
I guess he kind of admitted they did a bad job at it in a round about way.
Well some good news for a change, I just hope I can get my heart where it keeps up with what I'm doing soon.