Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

I have been looking into a backup system, I can deal with the cold, but pipes bursting I can not.
Also you can't rely on utilities companies to help when a million people have lost power all over the place.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm I have been looking into a backup system, I can deal with the cold, but pipes bursting I can not.
Also you can't rely on utilities companies to help when a million people have lost power all over the place.
A wood burning stove would be ideal, but can be quite expensive to install if your house doesn't have one already. I paid thousands for a new stove, new chimney, and install labor.

I guess the simplest option would be a gas generator powering a few electric heaters...
Mel Gibson

I'm on well water, so my well pump wouldn't run without power. I would have to drain the system to ensure nothing freezes, but that's pretty easy to do... I'd just have to attach a garden hose to a fitting, run it out the door, and open the tap. That should drain the pipes, the hot water tank, and the pressure tank.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: January 9th, 2022, 10:07 pm
Odinson wrote: January 9th, 2022, 9:36 pm Funny shit..

Its -30 Celsius outside and my heating system broke down. :laugh:
Better hope your pipes don't freeze! Might want to turn off the water if you can. Don't you Finns have wood burning stoves as a backup?
It takes days for that to happen.

I have a fireplace and a sauna.

I can heat up the sauna and open the doors. :teehe:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: January 9th, 2022, 10:36 pm
Blue Frost wrote: January 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm I have been looking into a backup system, I can deal with the cold, but pipes bursting I can not.
A wood burning stove would be ideal, but can be quite expensive to install if your house doesn't have one already. I paid thousands for a new stove, new chimney, and install labor.

I guess the simplest option would be a gas generator powering a few electric heaters...
a fireplace is out of the question, it would need to be something gas, or generator powered.
Right now I have a basic propane heater, supposedly safe for indoor, but I don't trust supposedly.
I can do the prepper thing, and light up some candles with clay pots on top. :teehe: it works for a small area.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:32 pm a fireplace is out of the question, it would need to be something gas, or generator powered.
Right now I have a basic propane heater, supposedly safe for indoor, but I don't trust supposedly.
I can do the prepper thing, and light up some candles with clay pots on top. :teehe: it works for a small area.
A generator would probably be your best bet, as it can power other things too. The bigger the generator the better! Heating a house in cold weather requires a LOT of wattage. I have an electric furnace, and the winter bill can get scary!
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:56 pm
Blue Frost wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:32 pm a fireplace is out of the question, it would need to be something gas, or generator powered.
A generator would probably be your best bet, as it can power other things too. The bigger the generator the better! Heating a house in cold weather requires a LOT of wattage. I have an electric furnace, and the winter bill can get scary!
How many square meters do you have and how much is the heating bill?
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: January 10th, 2022, 12:04 am How many square meters do you have and how much is the heating bill?
About 2,800 square feet. Now, I try to supplement the electric furnace with the wood stove, but if I didn't do that I bet I could easily see an electrical bill of over $300 per month during the winter.
Mel Gibson

Below is the average annual heating costs in my region, according to my electrical provider. Unfortunately my street doesn't have a natural gas line, so a gas furnace is not an option!

Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:32 pm

a fireplace is out of the question, it would need to be something gas, or generator powered.
Here is an interesting solution..

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:56 pm
Energy bills have doubled the last few months since we have a gas heater, I'm thinking about getting an electric unit.
i could have the gas line on a quick connect for a heater then if the power goes out.

A generator is on my list also, but not in the cards right now like the electric furnace isn't either.
Maybe when I get some things sorted out ill do something.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odinson wrote: January 10th, 2022, 12:24 am
Blue Frost wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:32 pm

Here is an interesting solution..

LOL, that's some ingenuity right there :rofl:
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 10th, 2022, 1:40 am Energy bills have doubled the last few months since we have a gas heater, I'm thinking about getting an electric unit.
i could have the gas line on a quick connect for a heater then if the power goes out.

A generator is on my list also, but not in the cards right now like the electric furnace isn't either.
Maybe when I get some things sorted out ill do something.
I'm not sure what the rates are where you live, but here heating with electric is much more expensive than heating with gas.

You'll also have to bear in mind that a standard gas furnace won't work without electricity, but that could be addressed with a generator.

A wood burning stove is the ultimate in redundancy (they will always provide heat and a cooking surface, as long as you have wood to burn), but the initial cost is high to install a wood burner & chimney that meets current standards.

Also, depending on where one lives, firewood may not be as easily accessible, and therefor expensive also to have a load delivered.

Pellet stoves are a thing here also, but again those usually require electricity to work!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gas prices are high here, electric is cheaper.
The bad part is if I was to get all electric the gas prices would likely go down, and electric up.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: January 10th, 2022, 1:42 pm Gas prices are high here, electric is cheaper.
The bad part is if I was to get all electric the gas prices would likely go down, and electric up.
And just wait until the grid goes down in a catastrophic manner from either the additional stress placed upon it or extreme weather or terrorist attack.. and one way or another, IT WILL FAIL ...

It will be the end of civilization in the US as we know it. We are already the biggest user of electricity on the globe with an aging and antiquated distribution system that is extremely vulnerable. Just wait until electric vehicles are mandated and fossil fuels are all but banned. Cities like NYC have already banned all new natural gas services for new construction and renovations. We are seeing the first steps toward total disaster because we are letting clueless, uneducated liberal politicians and their hand picked special interest groups influence and make energy policy decisions.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

I´m sure it will devastating to all those multiculturalist leftists in big cities...

Meanwhile at Odis place:

Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: January 10th, 2022, 12:24 am Below is the average annual heating costs in my region, according to my electrical provider. Unfortunately my street doesn't have a natural gas line, so a gas furnace is not an option!

The figures look different in my country.

Oil is the cheapest option.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 10th, 2022, 1:42 pm Gas prices are high here, electric is cheaper.
That is weird. For some reason electric costs way more to heat with here, even though there are numerous hydro-electric dams within a 30 minute drive from me!
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: January 10th, 2022, 7:41 pm The figures look different in my country.

Oil is the cheapest option.
I have no doubt furnace oil is an expensive option here due to government policies. Policies that want us all to ride our bicycles around in two feet of snow, and sing Kumbaya in a circle while holding hands in the living room, while freezing our assess off!
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Look at these two a-holes abandoning their baby.

What could possibly be so bad that you have to off yourself.

Got a great career and a sexy latina wife... Things could be so much worse. :teehe: