General talk, and discussion.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

I bought a new head-lamp.

1500 lumens.

It is very bright.

The battery lasts 2 hours on maximum firepower.

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 30th, 2022, 2:58 am
Blue Frost wrote: July 28th, 2022, 4:30 am I used to be able like you just picking up the wood, and seeing it even, but Cedar burns fast, and hardly useful other than starter wood.
Hard woods are better for long fires as you likely know.
I have seen piles of ceder like that only lasting a few days in cold times.
It does, but newer 'efficient burning' stoves like mine require less wood to produce reliable heat! It's lined inside with concrete blocks, and the burn chamber is smaller than older stoves, so the burn is condensed... Lowest air flow setting will let a couple of logs burn for over an hour... Probably more!

If it flames out before I go to bed, it's still warm in the morning!

It will get HOT! And chimneys should get inspected/cleaned regardless of the wood burned, since all wood burning can create creosote/soot fire hazards over time, but that's not a big deal either...

As long as it's seasoned (dry), I will burn it all with confidence!

But ya, hardwood is best, but that's not always around for a good price!
Cedar like any softwood, pine, etc is not recommended for wood stoves. I don't care how new they are. Cedar is full if resin and oil. Even when seasoned (no such thing for most soft wood) it still produces a lot more creosote than hard wood.

I have 2 Jotul stoves from Norway in my house and I was advised by the retailer and the manufacturer not to burn any softwood. Both are EPA certified for low emissions..

One is a fire place insert and the other is a free standing unit that I bought last year to replace the 25 year old pos pellet stove down stairs. The one down stairs I use to heat the lower level as there is no heat down there. It also keeps the floor warm on the main living level. The fireplace insert basically heats the entire main living level during the day. Only after the sun goes down does the gas furnace even run.

Be careful with that Cedar shit and get your flue cleaned at least once a year, twice is better and you should be fine. Also burn a few creosote killer logs a couple of times a year. They do help.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odinson wrote: July 30th, 2022, 6:03 pm I bought a new head-lamp.

1500 lumens.

It is very bright.

That is bright, gotta have some good batteries for that.
I have two 300 lumans headsets, and they do pretty good, i got them for plumbing, and electrical work.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: July 30th, 2022, 7:48 pm
Mel Gibson wrote: July 30th, 2022, 2:58 am
Blue Frost wrote: July 28th, 2022, 4:30 am I used to be able like you just picking up the wood, and seeing it even, but Cedar burns fast, and hardly useful other than starter wood.
Hard woods are better for long fires as you likely know.
I have seen piles of ceder like that only lasting a few days in cold times.
It does, but newer 'efficient burning' stoves like mine require less wood to produce reliable heat! It's lined inside with concrete blocks, and the burn chamber is smaller than older stoves, so the burn is condensed... Lowest air flow setting will let a couple of logs burn for over an hour... Probably more!

If it flames out before I go to bed, it's still warm in the morning!

It will get HOT! And chimneys should get inspected/cleaned regardless of the wood burned, since all wood burning can create creosote/soot fire hazards over time, but that's not a big deal either...

As long as it's seasoned (dry), I will burn it all with confidence!

But ya, hardwood is best, but that's not always around for a good price!
Cedar like any softwood, pine, etc is not recommended for wood stoves. I don't care how new they are. Cedar is full if resin and oil. Even when seasoned (no such thing for most soft wood) it still produces a lot more creosote than hard wood.

I have 2 Jotul stoves from Norway in my house and I was advised by the retailer and the manufacturer not to burn any softwood. Both are EPA certified for low emissions..

One is a fire place insert and the other is a free standing unit that I bought last year to replace the 25 year old pos pellet stove down stairs. The one down stairs I use to heat the lower level as there is no heat down there. It also keeps the floor warm on the main living level. The fireplace insert basically heats the entire main living level during the day. Only after the sun goes down does the gas furnace even run.

Be careful with that Cedar shit and get your flue cleaned at least once a year, twice is better and you should be fine. Also burn a few creosote killer logs a couple of times a year. They do help.
The splinters from the ceder can cause you to loose body parts, they set in gangrene fast if you can't get them out.
I used to love making things from the stuff, but in thee back of my mind I'm thinking I'm killing myself slowly by breathing it.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:03 am How about the smell from the ceder, is it strong when burning, it is toxic by the way, but at least any bugs will run from it. :teehe:

i used to cut firewood for people long ago, maple mostly, and some oak.
cut into some hedgiron once, that stopped real fast with the sparks coming off the blade, and the stink of the wood.
Some people like the smell of burning cedar! That said, only open fireplaces tend to emit odor into a room. My stove has a door that seals tight, so no smoke or smells in the house!
Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: July 30th, 2022, 7:48 pm Cedar like any softwood, pine, etc is not recommended for wood stoves. I don't care how new they are. Cedar is full if resin and oil. Even when seasoned (no such thing for most soft wood) it still produces a lot more creosote than hard wood.

You having lived in this region should know that hardwood is pretty rare here. Various softwoods are what we are surrounded by, and is what we all burn! And softwood can absolutely be seasoned! I took a reading today, and I'm at 8% to 10% moisture content. This is exceptionally dry!

My stove is EPA certified also, so burns efficiently and helps keep creosote formation down. New chimney is double-walled, which helps too with keeping creosote formation at bay.

Pretty well any wood is OK to burn, provided it has been properly seasoned, and the stove heated up properly.

But no matter what wood one burns, regular inspection/cleaning is simply required if your stove sees any serious use!

Now, some EPA stoves use a catalyst to reduce emissions. I understand these may be more picky with wood selection. Mine is non-catyalyst, so less picky. Is your Jotul stove non-catalyst too? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to burn softwood in that if I got a load for free or for cheap!
Mel Gibson

1500 lumens.

It is very bright.

That's pretty good runtime for that output! Most el cheapo head lamps wouldn't run anywhere near that length of time on high...
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 31st, 2022, 1:25 am

1500 lumens.

It is very bright.

That's pretty good runtime for that output! Most el cheapo head lamps wouldn't run anywhere near that length of time on high...
This one costs over 100 euros but it was on sale for 79 euros.

I hate the really cheap ones because they never work when you need them to.

The battery is 3500 mah and it can be easily replaced with a backup if need be.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:32 pm
Blue Frost wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:03 am How about the smell from the ceder, is it strong when burning, it is toxic by the way, but at least any bugs will run from it. :teehe:

i used to cut firewood for people long ago, maple mostly, and some oak.
cut into some hedgiron once, that stopped real fast with the sparks coming off the blade, and the stink of the wood.
Some people like the smell of burning cedar! That said, only open fireplaces tend to emit odor into a room. My stove has a door that seals tight, so no smoke or smells in the house!
When I went to see my family in the mountains most had those coal stoves, and pot belly stoves.
They really smelled, and don't bump into one, they would warm you up fast that way :teehe:
The coal up there is high in sulfur also.
The funny part is most people had them, and few burned trees which was strange since they where surrounded by them.

When I was cutting wood all the people had open fireplaces, some complained about smell, and back drafts.
You with the closed one is a good thing, the smell might be nice, but not healthy.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 31st, 2022, 12:01 pm When I went to see my family in the mountains most had those coal stoves, and pot belly stoves.
They really smelled, and don't bump into one, they would warm you up fast that way :teehe:
The coal up there is high in sulfur also.
The funny part is most people had them, and few burned trees which was strange since they where surrounded by them.

When I was cutting wood all the people had open fireplaces, some complained about smell, and back drafts.
You with the closed one is a good thing, the smell might be nice, but not healthy.
Ya, modern EPA certified stoves work much better than those of old! No smells and good efficiency!

Below is the model I have (Pacific Energy), except mine doesn't have the optional safety cover on top of stove as seen in pic... Under that optional cover is a flat steel top suitable for cooking should one need to! It'll get HOT!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I need one of those here in the basement, would be nice in the deep winter.
the issue I have is where I could put it, and drilling out the concrete for a chimney.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I just got a call about a gate I built about 20 years ago, it's getting loose a bit, and they wanted to know if I could look at it. :laugh:
I would say for a wood gate that was a job well done.
I mentioned how they could stabilize it with a few brackets, but the warranty is far worn out. :laugh:

It was good hearing from them, and about the gate, it's used several times a day, and lasted pretty good, and still in good shape besides getting loose.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 31st, 2022, 5:49 pm I need one of those here in the basement, would be nice in the deep winter.
the issue I have is where I could put it, and drilling out the concrete for a chimney.
Ya, the original owners had the stove in the basement also. Unfortunately it was all worn out, and neither the stove nor the chimney would pass inspection.

So we rejigged things, and I decided to install new stove on main floor living room. Easy to access, and also works as a focal point.

You'd defo want to bring in a stove installer to see what your best options would be... They know all the codes required so you won't burn your house down!
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 31st, 2022, 5:53 pm I just got a call about a gate I built about 20 years ago, it's getting loose a bit, and they wanted to know if I could look at it. :laugh:
I would say for a wood gate that was a job well done.
I mentioned how they could stabilize it with a few brackets, but the warranty is far worn out. :laugh:

It was good hearing from them, and about the gate, it's used several times a day, and lasted pretty good, and still in good shape besides getting loose.
Good handymen can always find work! Even the guys out here in my rural area seem to be finding enough work to keep them busy full time.

My step uncle from Ontario met a girl from Ohio, married her, and now lives there. He keeps busy full time as a handyman there also, running his own business. I don't think he even has any formal training or licenses, but I guess if you're good you'll find work!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Besides lifting the thing I could install, and would u to code, but still I have little space for one.
The place I would like it is in the basement, but I have a driveway on the other side of the wall so I need the clearance for cars, and trucks.
I put the drainage under the drive so it's not in the way.

I did a lot of work in the past for people, and considered doing business which I did for a while until I got steady work.
I built a lot of decks, and things like that, a few garages I worked on, and even some electrical for people that was really happy.
I never could expand on that at the time, a good truck would have made life so much more easy.
Basically I can build a house up to code myself, but don't have a license for anything.
Built on for room additions, lots of nasty plumbing, and just putting up window hardware for the ladies .

Then there was the car repair thing, I got so tiered of putting transmissions, and engines in for people.
I had a basic engine back them in, and running in about four hours, transmission two hours if things went well.
Replaced front ends, and things like that also when wrecked.
Mel Gibson

Wanting to pump out my septic tank, since it's probably long overdue! The dirt is basically clay, as hard a concrete. I also think it's a two chamber tank, meaning there should be two access panels to pump out. Fuck digging by hand, I have a mini excavator I rented for the day getting delivered tomorrow morning! And once I confirm the access panel size, I'm going to zip into town and get 12" risers to install, so I never have to dig the fucking things out ever again!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Oh I know that dirt, it's basically concrete, you basically need a pickax for it.
Your grass tells it all, or lack of, those plants can barely root.

just thinking, you are near some mountains right, that looks like it's flowed from them over time. .
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Hello peoples, blah day here today, been down a lot lately again, and I think meds are making me worse.
Might also be the weather, rain on, rain off :wacko: damn old bones. :teehe:

So, anything good going on, anyone here from RF lately, or seen him around the internet ?
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 7:33 pm Oh I know that dirt, it's basically concrete, you basically need a pickax for it.
Your grass tells it all, or lack of, those plants can barely root.

just thinking, you are near some mountains right, that looks like it's flowed from them over time. .
Yep. Like concrete. I think I'll get some bags of topsoil to amend the clay with, so the new grass at least has a chance to grow! With the machine I can easily dig the entire top of tank clear and mix some better soil back in. Big mountain starts right in my backyard! All the soil here is crappy clay, and I'm surprised things even grow!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel it's good stuff, just a bit much of it.
Say you had some good dirt, and mixed just a little of what you have there into it the plant would love it.
I saying what you have is almost lime by the looks with a little soil in it that keeps it from being concrete.
Might be way off on all that, but that's what I think I see.

Nice looking area there, I would love to climb that mountain, and just sit up there for a day.
I think I would set up a little camping spot on that rock about mid way up there, just because. :teehe: