THE NEW WORKPLACE REALITY.

General talk, and discussion.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

There seems to be jobs everywhere. Good jobs. Good paying jobs. Ripe for the picking, and yet....
Alberta. For many decades the go-to place for trades people to find work but not anymore. BC offering skilled trades positions but to who'm?
What alternatives are there for people who aren't skilled, can't afford to get skilled, and don't know where to turn? What about people who have physical disabilities, are too old, or can't work with their hands?
And then there's America.
[video][/video]

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think those are the biggest issues of our time beanthere.
Like me I got lucky getting on at Ford even though i got hurt for life there.
Me being skilled in general labor there wasn't much but low end jobs, and being dyslexic i would have had no chance in collage.
I think most here went into the military, or was just bums in my situation.
All the programs out there is pretty worthless unless you find a skill in demand.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Older people get the shaft a lot, and the sad part they are usually the ones who will work.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

What's truly sad is that this whole thing is caused very simply, by greed.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I know, but that's the owners, and shareholders privilege, there should be some kind of safety net it seems for workers.
If unemployment offices did their jobs training, and placement would be great.
you know another issue I had was places wanted 5 years experience, and that was for basic jobs, or they said I was over qualified :kez:
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

An interesting point brought out in the video, is that even when you pick up a skill that is in demand, it doesn't always stay that way. Machinists for example are highly talented people, yet the ones in the video can't find work.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yeah that happens, and I'm still listening to it. i really feel bad for them, It hurts a lot, and especially hard on a family.
i read in Alberta the suicide rate skyrocketed a few months back, it's because the layoffs.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

When I put in for Ford some 250000 people put in for the 500 jobs offered, two of us that got the job wasn't related to someone in the place.
Before I got hurt they where offering people 100,000 to quit so they could hire cheaper labor, funny how many took the buyout.
A few i knew was crying a few months later, broke, and no job.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

I wonder how Shen Li is doing? She used to recruit people for the oil fields.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Being a chemical engineer I'm sure shes fine, they usually keep them around till the last. I hope shes doing well.
All of that mess was to do with the arabs flooding the market with oil to stop all the new oil drilling, and piping here.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Wow. You were one of the lucky few. You must have been really talented to beat out all those other people. Too bad you got hurt.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

i was told the only reason I got hired was because my high scores, and dexterity. Funny that i guessed at a lot of the questions by ruling out whats not the answer.
i hate not working, it was my life really.

I hope it gets better for you Beanthere, keep an eye out for better if you have time.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Just telling you to keep an eye out because they have no loyalty to you in the end.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

I will be alright. Just wondering what this world is getting to.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think it was 1978 we had a really bad job market here, and it devastated the area.
You would see jobs like you said, but you never saw people getting any. In 87 it was still kind of bad, but it started picking up a little, but nothing like it was.
I wish you good luck whatever happens, i felt so bad reading the news a while back about people in Alberta.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think if we get someone besides a democrat here things might pick up for the oil sands again, if not Ill not be a Republican anymore.
Obama, and the Saudis :kez:
Can't blame the Saudis like Obama though.