Re: My old W900B is ready to go!

That is a sad looking truck.

Warm her up a little bit.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It's not a fat girl Odi, calm down, calm down. :spit:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

I dont understand what I'm looking at? Looks like an igloo stove with a grill for a door and 2 silver wine goblets to the left...
Mel Gibson

Berry Sweet wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:04 am I dont understand what I'm looking at? Looks like an igloo stove with a grill for a door and 2 silver wine goblets to the left...
It's my work truck with over two feet of snow on it.
Mel Gibson

And now I'm in a dilemma... One of my business acquaintances here has a contract with the city of Nelson for snow clearing, and all of a sudden wants me tomorrow... My truck isn't even insured right now (usually no work in winter here).

I put that on hold for now, and have to think about this... Nelson is like a mini San Francisco geographically, except with snow. I'll go out there tomorrow in my personal vehicle, and take a look at what I'm dealing with...

While I like to be known as a reliable player, I also know there's some jobs and some days where it just doesn't pay to accept them... And it certainly isn't worth insuring my truck just to run it for a couple of days.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Interesting dilemma, you can always lie, and say your broke down, or have another job. :think:

Never know how that looks with everyone being different.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 12th, 2022, 12:50 am Interesting dilemma, you can always lie, and say your broke down, or have another job. :think:

Never know how that looks with everyone being different.
I went out today and checked out the job, and declined it. I'm always truthful with my business acquaintances and customers, and explain why I do.

One thing about running your own truck, is that you also assume all the risk, but the customers here seem pretty good about understanding that. I have way more leeway than a company driver would have, and also have to make better decisions.

A good example would be this: A customer wants a load of sand dumped in the middle of his wet lawn... Customer has no clue, but I know there's a good chance I'd destroy his wet lawn with ruts, as well as possibly getting stuck also. The customer will probably assume it's my job to fix his lawn, and to pay for a heavy wrecker to pull me out also. I would be out of business quickly if I continued to make poor decisions like that... So I try to be clear with my customers as to why something may be a bad idea.

One of the hardest parts about running a business is making the call between reliability/customer service, and knowing when to tell them that what they're expecting me to do isn't a sound business practice on my end!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We had a truck come in with dirt one time, and some other stuff, it was wet, but he pulled out a bunch of old plywood.
I had two small dump trucks come in also once for garden dirt, no issue, but the bobcat destroyed a large part of the yard, I made him pay for it.

Well glad that got over with Mel, I know you hate turning people down, but that's good you did.
Without insurance you would be in some big trouble if you wreck, or take out a house with people in it.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 12th, 2022, 7:41 am We had a truck come in with dirt one time, and some other stuff, it was wet, but he pulled out a bunch of old plywood.
I had two small dump trucks come in also once for garden dirt, no issue, but the bobcat destroyed a large part of the yard, I made him pay for it.

Well glad that got over with Mel, I know you hate turning people down, but that's good you did.
Without insurance you would be in some big trouble if you wreck, or take out a house with people in it.
Ya, heavy equipment can cause a bit of damage to turf, so I don't want to deal with someone like you that'll make me pay for the damage! I'll dump the material where I know I'm still safe, and let the homeowner figure out how to move it the rest of the way in! I could always write up a waiver on the bill though, and have you sign off on it before I attempt a difficult maneuver I suppose...

I know with vehicle insurance things are a bit different in the US, as it seems quite common for some to try to run without it. I can't speak for other Provinces, but here vehicle insurance is something that's mandatory and heavily enforced. It's a $598 fine... If the cops are nice, they may allow you to get it towed home. They can also impound it until you get insurance. Either way, you won't be just driving back home after the ticket is issued. It's not a risk most personal vehicle drivers will take. Not to mention the problems if you ever hit someone at fault... Cop cars here are equipped with licence plate scanners, and license plates that show a non-insured vehicle will get pulled over fast. Here, everything is pinned to the license plate: Driver/owner, status of driver/owner, and status of insurance coverage.

And it's a risk no commercial truck owners will take. I carry a $5,000,000 policy on my work truck. $2,000,000 is the minimum required here for large commercial vehicles, but some of my customers require $5,000,000 minimum, so I carry that. They do check my coverage, and it is their right to check my insurance coverage before they hire me. Even if you go solo, you'll still have a 'boss' checking out your shit!

I would never dream of driving my work Kenworth on a public road without insurance. I'd get shut down fast if I ever got caught even trying! Unlike a personal vehicle, I'd have the NSC slapping my shit up, similar to your FMCSA!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: January 12th, 2022, 8:13 am
Blue Frost wrote: January 12th, 2022, 7:41 am We had a truck come in with dirt one time, and some other stuff, it was wet, but he pulled out a bunch of old plywood.

Ya, heavy equipment can cause a bit of damage to turf, so I don't want to deal with someone like you that'll make me pay for the damage! I'll dump the material where I know I'm still safe, and let the homeowner figure out how to move it the rest of the way in! I could always write up a waiver on the bill though, and have you sign off on it before I attempt a difficult maneuver I suppose...

I know with vehicle insurance things are a bit different in the US, as it seems quite common for some to try to run without it. I can't speak for other Provinces, but here vehicle insurance is something that's mandatory and heavily enforced. It's a $598 fine... If the cops are nice, they may allow you to get it towed home. They can also impound it until you get insurance. Either way, you won't be just driving back home after the ticket is issued. It's not a risk most personal vehicle drivers will take. Not to mention the problems if you ever hit someone at fault... Cop cars here are equipped with licence plate scanners, and license plates that show a non-insured vehicle will get pulled over fast. Here, everything is pinned to the license plate: Driver/owner, status of driver/owner, and status of insurance coverage.

And it's a risk no commercial truck owners will take. I carry a $5,000,000 policy on my work truck. $2,000,000 is the minimum required here for large commercial vehicles, but some of my customers require $5,000,000 minimum, so I carry that. They do check my coverage, and it is their right to check my insurance coverage before they hire me. Even if you go solo, you'll still have a 'boss' checking out your shit!

I would never dream of driving my work Kenworth on a public road without insurance. I'd get shut down fast if I ever got caught even trying! Unlike a personal vehicle, I'd have the NSC slapping my shit up, similar to your FMCSA!
i would have fixed the yard myself, but being the guy was an a-hole, and after two trucks did little to nothing to my yard he needed to pay.
All he has to do was take bobcat, and move some dirt, instead he was doing doughnuts with it in my yard, unacceptable.
The trucks I would expect some damage by the way, but they took it easy, and did great.