Plagues

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Plagues

Human Plague Cases Increasing In Southwest
https://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/press/99/pr9970.htm
Human plague, that dreaded disease of centuries past caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, is on the rise, at least in the southwestern United States.

Biologists at the National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded LongTerm Ecological Research (LTER) site in Sevilleta, New Mexico, have found that human plague cases in New Mexico occurred more frequently after wetter than average winter-spring time periods (October to May). In fact, during years much wetter than normal, a 60% rise in the number of cases of human plague resulted. The scientists report these results in a paper published in the November issue of the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

Plague occurs episodically in many parts of the world, explains Robert Parmenter, director of the Sevilleta LTER field research station, and lead author of the paper. "Some outbreaks appear to be related to increased abundance of rodents and other mammals that serve as hosts for the fleas that then transmit the disease to humans." Increased winter-spring precipitation, say Parmenter and his colleague Ken Gage of the Center for Disease Control office in Fort Collins, Colorado, enhances small mammal food resources (plants and insects), leading to an increase in the abundance of plague hosts. In addition, moister climate conditions may act to promote flea survival and reproduction, also enhancing plague transmission. "Our results can be used by physicians and public health personnel to identify and predict periods of increased risk of plague transmission to humans," Parmenter hopes.

Global climate dynamics are proposed by some scientists as the culprit in recent outbreaks of infectious diseases; others warn that long-term global warming could increase the risk of contracting such diseases. "The recent El Nino events of the 1990s have been associated with large increases in rodent populations in both North and South America," explains Scott Collins, LTER program director at NSF. "These increases in rodent populations have been shown to correlate with numerous diseases, including Lyme disease and hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Climate studies may provide a forecasting tool for identifying periods of increased risk of disease transmission."

Plague was introduced into North America via San Francisco, California, in 1899-1900 by shipboard transport of plague-infected rats from Asia. These rats quickly infected native mammal populations, especially ground squirrels, and plague spread throughout western North America. Plague is now most commonly found in the southwestern United States -- in New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and California. Major risk factors for humans include contact with diseased wild mammals or their infected fleas, and exposure to infected fleas carried by pets like dogs and cats.

"If climate conditions become favorable for reproduction and survival of either the wild mammal populations or their flea populations, then the probability of human infection via animal-fleahuman contacts will also increase," write Parmenter and his colleagues.

With known risk of plague transmission following unusually moist winter-spring seasons, localized public health warnings and heightened medical surveillance can be arranged prior to the peak in human cases during the summer, the scientists suggest. "Local physicians and health care professionals can determine if their cities and towns have received higher-than-normal precipitation, and increase their cognizance for plague patients," the researchers write.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Manuka Honey MRSA Experiment

Well I had MRSA again and finally got to try Manuka honey on it and manuka honey failed however.... after my prescription ran out a little bit of what I think was MRSA started to grow in the same area and I was able to vanquish that little rash quite easily with Manuka honey. The cream the first doctor gave me worked on the eyelids so if he was correct on that MRSA related staph bacteria then I had a two problematic bacteria combo giving me issues. I now am going to always keep manuka honey with me however it didn't beat the big infection. It helped. Before I went to bed I would slop a lot on and in the morning there would be no blisters but when I went to work I wouldn't have any on as goop on ones face doesn't look nice and it would blister up. Perhaps if I kept it on at all times it could actually have beaten it. How can I know if I don't have some MRSA bacteria on my skin somewhere ? I do believe that if I catch it when it starts that it can be beaten with Manuka honey.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Plagues

Might want to check on some herbs Gary, many have antibacterial qualities that has no side effects .
As many say if you cant eat it why would you put it on your skin.
Your skin is an organ of the body after all
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

That's interesting stuff. I just wish that I had more time for the internet to check out more stuff.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I make a few of those myself in pill form, Ginger, and Turmeric is always good to take.
I make Potassium pills also.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

A 100% Manmade disaster ?

I do strongly suspect that they are creating manmade diseases that will require us to buy much more of their expensive antibiotics and other medicines.

Scientist accused of playing God after creating artificial life by making designer microbe from scratch - but could it wipe out humanity?

By FIONA MACRAE
UPDATED: 14:33 GMT, 3 June 2010

View
comments

Scientists today lined up to air their fears over a genome pioneer's claims that he has created artificial life in the laboratory.

In a world first, which has alarmed many, maverick biologist and billionaire entrepreneur Craig Venter, built a synthetic cell from scratch.

The creation of the new life form, which has been nicknamed 'Synthia', paves the way for customised bugs that could revolutionise healthcare and fuel production, according to its maker.

But there are fears that the research, detailed in the journal Science, could be abused to create the ultimate biological weapon, or that one mistake in a lab could lead to millions being wiped out by a plague, in scenes reminiscent of the Will Smith film I Am Legend.

[caption]

While some hailed the research as 'a defining moment in the history of biology', others attacked it as 'a shot in the dark', with 'unparalleled risks'. The team involved have been accused of 'playing God' and tampering 'with the essence of life'.

More...

MICHAEL HANLON BLOG: Life, and just as we know it

Dr Venter created the lifeform by synthesising a DNA code and injecting it into a single bacteria cell. The cell containing the man-made DNA then grew and divided, creating a hitherto unseen lifeform.

Kenneth Oye, a social scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the U.S., said: 'Right now, we are shooting in the dark as to what the long-term benefits and long-term risks will be.'

[caption]

Pat Mooney, of the ETC group, a technology watchdog with a special interest in synthetic biology, said: 'This is a Pandora's box moment - like the splitting of the atom or the cloning of Dolly the sheep, we will all have to deal with the fall-out from this alarming experiment.'

Dr David King, of the Human Genetics Alert watchdog, said: 'What is really dangerous is these scientists' ambitions for total and unrestrained control over nature, which many people describe as 'playing God'.

'Scientists' understanding of biology falls far short of their technical capabilities. We have learned to our cost the risks that gap brings, for the environment, animal welfare and human health.'

Professor Julian Savulescu, an Oxford University ethicist, said: 'Venter is creaking open the most profound door in humanity's history, potentially peeking into its destiny.

'He is not merely copying life artificially or modifying it by genetic engineering. He is going towards the role of God: Creating artificial life that could never have existed.'

He said the creation of the first designer bug was a step towards 'the creation of living beings with capacities and a nature that could never have naturally evolved'. The risks were 'unparalleled',' he added.

And he warned: 'This could be used in the future to make the most powerful bioweapons imaginable. The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm.'

Dr Venter, who was instrumental in sequencing the human genome, had previously succeeded in transplanting one bug's genome - its entire cache of DNA - into another bacterium, effectively changing its species.

He has taken this one step further, transplanting not a natural genome but a man-made one. To do this, he read the DNA of Mycoplasma mycoides, a bug that infects goats, and recreated it piece by piece.

The fragments were then 'stitched together' and inserted into a bacterium from a different species.

There, it sprang to life, allowing the bug to grow and multiply, producing generations that were entirely artificial.

The transferred DNA contained around 850 genes - a fraction of the 20,000 or so contained in a human's genetic blueprint.
[item name=poll id=1017727 style=1 /]

In future, bacterial 'factories' could be set up to manufacture artificial organisms designed for specific tasks such as medicines or producing clean biofuels.

The technology could also be harnessed to create environmentally friendly bugs capable of mopping up carbon dioxide or toxic waste.

Dr Venter, a 63-year-old Vietnam War veteran known for his showman tendencies, said last night: 'We are entering a new era where we're limited mostly by our imaginations.'

But the breakthrough, which took 15 years and
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

SARS-like virus claims 60th victim In Saudi Arabia

Is this SARS a GMO product ? I am among the many who suspect it is as was the last one in China and very possibly these bird flus too.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/sars-like- ... udi-arabia

Saudi Arabia says a Saudi man has died from a new respiratory virus related to SARS, bringing to 60 the number of deaths in the kingdom at the centre of the outbreak.

The health ministry said that the man died of the coronavirus in a Riyadh hospital on Sunday.

He was among four newly detected cases. That makes for a total of 145 people who have been infected with the virus, also known as Middle East respiratory syndrome, or MERS, in Saudi Arabia since September 2012, according to the ministry.

The new virus is related to SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which killed around 800 people in a global outbreak in 2003. It belongs to a family of viruses that most often causes the common cold. It can cause coughing, fever and pneumonia but also kidney failure.

The virus emerged in 2012 in Saudi Arabia and has since spread from the Persian Gulf to France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia and Britain.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think it's a strengthened virus from weaker immune systems possibly because of GMOs, and to many pharmaceuticals making bad things stronger.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Plagues

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

MRSA vs Manuka Honey Rematch

That MRSA recently started up again. Once I recognised it for what it was I started using manuka hoeny again as I didnt' have time to see a doctor. Well this time instead of wiping it off when I went to work I rubbed the manuka honey so that it didnt' show and left it on. This time manuka honey won. The first time against the biog infection the MRSA would blister up more while I was out at work than the manuka honey could knock it back when I was at home. I do wonder if I don't have MRSA bacteria lurking on my skin somewhere waiting for a chance to erupt again.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gary if that is truly what you have i would suggest you start building your immunity up, and seeing if you can somehow build the good bacteria up on your skin.

A good probiotic is a good start, and fermented foods. A multi-strain probiotic with at least a billion bacteria , 5 billion or more is better.
Some greek yogurts are good, might want to check the brands, and whats in them.
Read up on it, I'm sure you might learn something good.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ebola Outbraik spreads to Guinea capital

This is one horrible way to die. I have heard that there is a weaponised ebola biological weapon that hopefully will never be used

http://rt.com/news/ebola-plague-virus-guinea-773/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yes it's a nasty viral hemorrhagic fever turning your organs into a blood pudding.
I remember back in the 70s when some place got it, it was the most scary things at the time.
people was scared it would come here.
One documentary i saw said it might have come from the Charcoal makers digging it from the ground .
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Horrific Ebola Outbreak 'Totally Out of Control'

Horrific Ebola Outbreak 'Totally Out of Control'

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is the deadliest ever seen and the virus is raging
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I saw that someone in Europe had caught it the other day, and we have had several MARS cases from people that went to Arabia
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Cabapenem Resistant Enterobacteriaceae

I now have another reason for my always keeping Manuka Honey. Would it be a good idea to keep Manuka honey with you if you know you are going to stay in a southeastern USA hospital ?

Thursday, July 17, 2014Drug-Resistant Superbug Cases Rise Significantly in Southeastern US

Image source

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/07/dru ... -rise.html

Cases of the highly contagious, drug-resistant bacteria, carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), have increased fivefold in community hospitals in the Southeastern United States, according to a new study published in the August issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, the journal of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.

"This dangerous bacteria is finding its way into healthcare facilities nationwide. Even this marked increase likely underestimates the true scope of the problem given variations in hospital surveillance practices," said Joshua Thaden, MD, a lead author of the study. "A CRE epidemic is fast approaching. We must take immediate and significant action in order to limit the transmission of these dangerous pathogens throughout our hospitals and acute care facilities."

CRE are a class of highly antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are not susceptible to most commonly-used antibiotics. Labeled "one of the three greatest threats to human health" by the World Health Organization, these dangerous pathogens can cause infections in the urinary tract, lungs, blood, and other areas. Patients with CRE infections have high risk of mortality, with at least 48 percent of cases proving fatal.

Over the five-year study period, researchers identified 305 unique patients with CRE through the Duke Infection Control Outreach Network (DICON), a cluster of 25 community hospitals in the Southeastern U.S. In this retrospective cohort, infection prevention professionals identified cases via prospective surveillance using standardized protocols in all hospitals. However, the majority of microbiology laboratories in the study had not adopted the most recent, and more sensitive, guidelines for detecting the bacteria. In hospitals that had adopted the guidelines, the rate of CRE detection was more than three times higher.

Half of the patients with CRE were symptomatic (59 percent) and nearly all cases were healthcare-associated (60 percent community-onset, healthcare-associated, 34 percent hospital onset). The higher rate of infection was found to stem from a combination of factors, including:

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Fungus Plague IIs Infecting The American Southwest

This article is long. A new fungus plague just appearing out of the blue.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... _page=true
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I read about the giant virus being unlocked from the Arctic now, look out for more strange things, and maybe Humans downfall from them.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Nigeria Struggles to Cope With Ebola Outbreak

I have read that the kill rate of this ebola outbreak is only 60 but other outbreaks are I think it was 85% Now if the numbers are actually similar to the ones I just gave then doesn't it seem that this is a different ebola ? Many believe that AIDS was a depopulation agent but that it AIDS takes to long to kill. If I am correct that there has never been an ebola outbreak like this before then it does back my suspicion that this is a GMO DNA tweeked ebola. Previous ebola outbreaks have always fizzled out fairly quickly. I have heard that there is a weaponised ebola.

Ebola, one of the world