Arctic and Antarctic Mysteries

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Arctic and Antarctic Mysteries

Some of these countries have a large land mass if you include their Antarctica holdings' The video showing what the world would look like if all the ice melted in interesting.

Here's who owns Antarctica

Jessica Orwig

 Oct. 8, 2015, 2:35 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-owns ... ca-2015-10

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I don't see how any own it, but I can see fighting over it if it ever came to it.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Looks like the great hiding places if out there.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

[video][/video]
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This lake is 63 miles by 6.25 miles. It is huge. i wonder if they will find some bizarre life forms in there. Some new fish or shrimp etc... I hope they can start soon exploring this lake.

Cool as ice: Newly-discovered lake in Antarctica may hold prehistoric life

https://www.rt.com/viral/341024-new-lak ... antartica/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:laugh: Probably brine, crabs, shell fish, and shrimp.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

On a positive note if all that ice melted I bet that there could be some outlandish discoveries made.

Out of Nowhere: 8,000 Blue Lakes Appear in Antarctica, Get Scientists Worried

Scientists have discovered that thousands of blue lakes of melt water have formed on the surface of Antarctica's glaciers over the past decade, an unprecedented event which threatens the stability of the largest ice mass on Earth.

In the Name of Space Travel: Doc to Spend One Year Living in AntarcticaResearchers from the Durham University in the UK analyzed hundreds of satellite images and meteorological observations of Langhovde Glacier, on the coast of East Antarctica's Dronning Maud Land. The study revealed that between 2000 and 2013, about 8,000 new blue lakes have appeared in Antarctica.

The scientists suspect that the water of some lakes could seep under the glacier's surface, potentially weakening it and making it more likely to fracture and break apart.

Previously it was thought that East Antarctica's ice hadn't been affected by global warming; therefore, more attention has been paid to the changes taking place in the Antarctic Peninsula. It is known that the occurrence of such lakes has led to melting of glaciers in Greenland, where 1 trillion metric tons of ice have melted between 2011 and 2014.

Heroic Saga of Antarctica: The Beauty of Emptiness and Cold
8In the summer, as air temperatures warm, lakes form on top of the ice sheet and on some glaciers that extend outwards into deep ocean fjords. These lakes can then suddenly disappear all at once, or flow into rivers that drain into the ice below, lubricating the ice and helping increase the rate at which glaciers lurch forward. Sometimes, researchers have even been able to document fresh water flowing outward directly into the sea from the base of a glacier. That injection of cold fresh water into salty water can then create tornado-like underwater flow patterns at the submerged glacier front that cause further ice loss.

"It's not hitting the glacier really hard at the moment, this process, but of course, as things warm up, we'd expect it to start doing more damage, like we see in Greenland," said Stewart Jamieson, a glaciologist at Durham University and one of the study's authors.

The results of the new study were published in Geophysical Research Letters.

http://sputniknews.com/world/20160822/1 ... rming.html
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I read this today, and don't put to much into it since the pushed version of global warming is a scam.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This mans survival knowledge paid off. Hopefully I won't ever need to use the survival knowledge I have learned over the years.

The man who came back from the dead after getting lost in the Arctic

Grandfather Egor Tarasov's 'miraculous' survival story of 42 days alone in the tundra with polar and brown bears, and wolves.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/n ... he-arctic/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

WOW, that was a long way he went, glad he came back to his family. Looks a bit hungry in those picks.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

He didn't just have knowledge of how to live off of the land he also had very strong will power. i believe that everybody knew how to survive off of the land in the wild west and during the fur trade. I also believe that these people influenced that calues of North America in a very good way. Political correctness , wearing your feelings on your sleeve for example is destroying the influence they had. During World War One Canada was far superior to the Europeans and I believe that Canadians one hundred years ago were brought up with the toughness passed on from their parents the pioneers.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I doubt that these bacteria are aliens but long lost strains that nop longer have any close living or known relatives.

Antarctic Ice Hides 'Alien' Life on Bottom of Subglacial Lake© Wikipedia/ Russia19:10 18.10.2016(updated 19:21 18.10.2016) Get short URL25859462In early October, Russian scientists reported finding a unique bacterium in the subglacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica. The discovered microorganism could provide a clue as to what life forms we can expect to encounter when we venture further out into space.
According to the researchers, the bacterium called w123-10 was absolutely unknown to science when it was discovered. Later it was found out that the bacterium is only 86% genetically similar to all known living organisms. In terms of genetics, this is enough to recognize the microorganism as absolutely unique, Lenta.ru reported.

© Flickr/ Kevin Gill
Ready for Mars? Antarctic Mushrooms Survive Simulated Martian Conditions on Space StationLake Vostok, where the unusual bacterium was discovered, is the largest Antarctic body of water hidden under glaciers. The thickness of the ice above it reaches four kilometers is estimated to be 20 thousand years old.

The lake, which was named after the Russian research station Vostok, remained isolated from the rest of the world for 15 million years, the scientists claim. The water temperature in its upper part is only two to three degrees Celsius below zero. So, the lake is likely to have geothermal sources on its bottom, which heat water and create comfortable living conditions for microorganisms.

The environment the w123-10 bacterium lives in is similar to the one in the under-ice oceans of Jupiter's moons (Ganymede, Callisto and Europa) and Saturn's moons (Dione and Enceladus), as well as at the poles of Mars. These makes scientists believe that studying microorganisms in prehistoric Antarctic ice could give clues to what life forms could be found in space.

...RedditGoogle+BloggerPinterestStumbleUpon

https://sputniknews.com/russia/20161018 ... bacterium/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I mentioned once, they dig up something new to them every year, and sometimes more. Last year I believe was the largest virus they even have found, remember that one.
Also in the human gut there is bacteria , and we have DNA foreign to what we know, and call it alien.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Someone is testing a new weapon that utilizes sound. This has been talked of before and some are even in use. The US and the other major powers have been messing around with that shit for years.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: Someone is testing a new weapon that utilizes sound. This has been talked of before and some are even in use. The US and the other major powers have been messing around with that shit for years.
Yeah.. Put the same Justin Bieber song playing loud on a loop... Even the most hardened muslim will start talking.

Remember to strip that jihadist naked so he cant hang himself..

If he is really a man of Allah and doesnt talk after 2weeks, give him 2weeks more of Justin Bieber... He can stew in it.

He will start being afraid of the song starting to play again.. And again... And again.. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

^^^ :rofl: I agree, it's torturous sounds.

back on track, permafrost melting there is going to be methane gas pockets blowing up, or collapsing some ground, also ground uplift in places.

As for years of sound testing, it goes back to Tesla I think, and military testing around the same time.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I wonder if one day they will find some stone age neanderthals. I wonder what species of trees and other plants insects etc... were found in that frozen Alaskan forest ? There have been at least one frozen woolly rhino found too. Will something[s] get found that will rewrite our history books ?

8 Amazing Things Uncovered by Melting Glaciers and Ice

http://mentalfloss.com/article/503309/8 ... rs-and-ice
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The only thing that's worrisome is the methane release, and ancient viruses that might be out there now being uncovered.