Smoking Cool

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Smoking Cool

Well when I was a boy in elementary school it was soooo cooool to smoke. Fortunately I had enough sense to realise that I shouldn't need to smoke to be accepted. When I finally did start smoking it was because I was bored and tired at work and wanted the rush that it gave me. I could almost smoke a whole cigarette in one puff and hold it in until I was blitzed ...often having to lie down. I thought that if it ever gets to be a problem then I will just quit . No problem ...right ? WRONG ! I discovered that I couldn't quit and it tormented me all the time that i couldn't quit and what smoking was doing to me. Well it's been 16 months now without a cigarette and I know that I must not ever again have one as if I do I will be a pack a day guy once again and will be completely fucked. I feel and look ten years younger since I quit. The difference was made within days of my last smoke :cheer:

..Smoking can 'rot' your brain

CBC - Sat, 24 Nov, 2012
....London, November 26 (ANI): Smoking can be hazardous not only for the health of your body, but of your mind too.

Smoking "rots" the brain by damaging memory, learning and reasoning, researchers at King's College London have warned

A study of 8,800 people over 50 showed high blood pressure and being overweight also seemed to affect the brain, but to a lesser extent.

The researchers were investigating links between the likelihood of a heart attack or stroke and the state of the brain.

Data about the health and lifestyle of a group of over-50s was collected and brain tests, such as making participants learn new words or name as many animals as they could in a minute, were also performed. They were all tested again after four and then eight years.

They found that the overall risk of a heart attack or stroke was "significantly associated with cognitive decline" with those at the highest risk showing the greatest decline.

It also said there was a "consistent association" between smoking and lower scores in the tests.

"Cognitive decline becomes more common with ageing and for an increasing number of people interferes with daily functioning and well-being," the BBC quoted Dr Alex Dregan, one of the researchers, as saying

"We have identified a number of risk factors which could be associated with accelerated cognitive decline, all of which, could be modifiable."

"We need to make people aware of the need to do some lifestyle changes because of the risk of cognitive decline," he added.

The researchers do not know how such a decline could affect people going about their daily life. They are also unsure whether the early drop in brain function could lead to conditions such as dementia.

Dr Simon Ridley, from Alzheimer's Research UK, said: "Research has repeatedly linked smoking and high blood pressure to a greater risk of cognitive decline and dementia, and this study adds further weight to that evidence.

"Cognitive decline as we age can develop into dementia, and unravelling the factors that are linked to this decline could be crucial for finding ways to prevent the condition. These results underline the importance of looking after your cardiovascular health from mid-life," he noted.

The Alzheimer's Society said: "We all know smoking, a high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels and a high BMI [Body Mass Index] is bad for our heart. This research adds to the huge amount of evidence that also suggests they can be bad for our head too.

"One in three people over 65 will develop dementia but there are things people can do to reduce their risk. Eating a balanced diet, maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, getting your blood pressure and cholesterol checked and not smoking can all make a difference," it suggested.

The findings were published in the journal Age and Ageing. (ANI)

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Smoking Cool

Glad I never started, a lot thought it was cool when I was a kid also. The thing is though everyone knew it was bad for them, and that was before labeling them with warnings.
Sad thing is when your friends smoke, and your around them getting it second hand, or in a house with a smoker where you have no choice but to suck it in like many kids are.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

What are those COOOOOOOOL guys doing now ? They never played any sports because they couldn't. They made as if they were above such sillyness but the reality was that they siimply didn't have the ability due to their weak crippled lungs.So cool.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Smoking Cool

Nice
:wacko:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Ryanissimo
"Piano Man"
"Piano Man"

Smoking Cool

Gary, I'm so glad that you made up your mind to stop smoking.

Honestly, I just can't understand why anyone would knowingly put such a toxic soup of chemicals in their bodies that will lead to an early death. I like my lungs. :scratch:

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Smoking Ages You

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/31/healt ... ?hpt=hp_c2

When I quit within a few days I looked and felt ten years younger
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My friend has quit smoking, and been off them a few months now.
he got an electronic cigarette, and it only emits water vapor.
There is all kinds of flavors for it, coconut, banana and vanilla seem to be his favorites.
He now gets sick of the smell of the regular cigarettes, and complains that smokers stink really bad :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I am so glad I quit. Quiting has already saved me waaayy over TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ! :stars: :happy: :cheer: :thumbsup: :woot:

.......Smokers who quit may cut heart risk faster than had been thought
By Bill Berkrot and Ransdell Pierson | Reuters
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My friend just quit a few months back, and uses the E cigarettes, he can tell the difference already, and has no urges for real cigarettes.
I read after 7 years there is no difference from the lungs of a nonsmoker if you quit.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I actually can thank the triads for my being able to quit smoking which has saved me tens of thousands of dollars and my health is so much better, I feel so much better and I am still able to outwork most youngsters. Thanks triads. Their little plan cost me a few hundred dollars but yeehoo ! I love it ! Here is some of why many like myself find nicotine near impossible to quit. I have not had a smoke in 3 and a h laf years already !

http://www.medicaldaily.com/nicotine-wi ... wer-271095
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Glad you quit, I wish I could quit a few things, but with no other options I'm stuck at the moment.
I'm talking about food, it's so hare to eat healthy.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I’m so glad that I was able to quit smoking. Smoking shrinks the brain and quitting doesn’t reverse the damage. Smoking increases the risk of Alzheimer’s and 18% of Alzheimer’s cases were caused by smoking. https://greatgameindia.com/smoking-shrinks-brain/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I worked with smokers most my life, I hated the smell on me the most.
Also a lot of them didn't baths as they should so they where extra nasty smelling.
Anymore I get pretty rude about them smoking around me, I don't need it, and refuse to keep smelling them.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Smoking is just so hard to quit. I’ve saved tens of thousands of dollars by quitting and am physically about ten years younger and feel so much better.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I had an aunt who had little money, and couldn't afford her meds, I told her if she quit she could afford them.
Well she didn't quit until about 10 years later, and she wasn't strapped for money so much.
Still broke, and lived check to check, but she did alright.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Your aunt might be still alive if she could have quit. A friend of mine recently passed a few months ago. If he hadn’t quit smoking he would have passed years ago. I had been afraid to phone because I didn’t want to hear the bad news but finally I did last Christmas and it was great to talk to him again. Dennis was his name. He was a carnival worker all his life. He remembered me from my first season in 1995. His era in downtown was the sixties and seventies. He lived in Stanley Park. He was a real survivor. He finally retired in a mobile home. He worked all his life.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I had a few die of lung cancer, all smoked.
One who did quit died also, but with heart issues.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I knew that they were deliberately poisoning them. Why else would these things be in them. Death by a thousand cuts is their tactic and they are sworn to kill us, destroy us, ruin things for us etc…. Tests on counterfeit cigarettes from China have shown alarming results. Each cigarette is packed with up to 80 percent more nicotine and emits 130 percent more carbon monoxide. Worse still, many contain other impurities such as rat poison, traces of lead, dead flies, human and animal feces and asbestos.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I knew that they were deliberately poisoning them. Why else would these things be in them. Death by a thousand cuts is their tactic and they are sworn to kill us, destroy us, ruin things for us etc…. Tests on counterfeit cigarettes from China have shown alarming results. Each cigarette is packed with up to 80 percent more nicotine and emits 130 percent more carbon monoxide. Worse still, many contain other impurities such as rat poison, traces of lead, dead flies, human and animal feces and asbestos.