Comets & Meteors

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Comets & Meteors

My guess is we wont know till it hits. The ones coming from the suns direction is rarely seen till they pass us, or right on us.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

[video][/video]

Looks like it nearly got to the ground
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Is the easth entering an area where there are more meteors ? These meteors lighting up the night sky rarely happened before. When will a fair size one finally land I wonder.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

You see more of them now since people have car cams, some places they are pretty much standard now.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I wonder what kind of damage this monster made made it landed. What kind of damage would a meteor this size do now ? Open the page at the bottom and check out the photo's of this 30 ton meteor.

This giant 30 tons meteorite unearthed in Argentina is the second heaviest ever found after Hoba

A giant 30 tons meteorite has been discovered in the small town of Gancedo, Argentina on September 10, 2016.
This at least 4,000 years old space object is the second heaviest ever found after the Hoba Meteorite, weighing an amazing 66 tonnes in Namibia.
giant meteorite argentina,Gancedo meteorite, giant 30 tons meteorite argentina, new giant meteorite discovered in Argentina, argentina giant meteorite, Gancedo meteorite argentina, Gancedo meteorite argentina video, Gancedo meteorite pictures

On September 10, 2016, a whopping piece of asteroid core was discovered in a small town in Argentina. The recently unearthed meteorite weighs a massive 30 tonnes, and is the second biggest to have ever been found.

The huge rock of space debris, found in the town of Gancedo, 674 miles (1,085km) north of the country’s capital, Buenos Aires, will now be re-measured to confirm its size. No indication has yet been given of its width or height.

It was in Campo del Cielo, where a shower of metallic meteorites fell around 4,000 years ago.

The shower took place in a region of Argentina located between the provinces of Chaco and Santiago del Estero.

http://strangesounds.org/2016/09/30-ton ... ideos.html
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I wonder if it's has a lot of iron, or nickle in it, that's heavy for the size.
Hoba I think is an iron one
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

WATCH: Huge Fireball Lights Sky on Fire off Japan Coast

https://sputniknews.com/asia/2016110110 ... pan-coast/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

WOW, just skimming the atmosphere by the looks, might have been a killer one if it hit land.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: I wonder if it's has a lot of iron, or nickle in it, that's heavy for the size.
Hoba I think is an iron one
Heavy things do a lot of damage when they fall from a decent height. I know from experience, because when I was around 9, I fell out of a treehouse in our backyard.

Flattened the shit out of my mother's daffodils. :kez:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:laugh:
I feel from cutting a tree, broke the stockade fence in half before flattening the grass.
No wonder I have some of the pains i do after all the abuse I gave myself.

I do hope your mom wasn't very angry about the flowers.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: :laugh:
I feel from cutting a tree, broke the stockade fence in half before flattening the grass.
No wonder I have some of the pains i do after all the abuse I gave myself.

I do hope your mom wasn't very angry about the flowers.
No she was more concerned about me not getting hurt. It was about a 8 foot fall and I was lucky. I only ended up with some bad bruises and a fractured collar bone. I was more stunned and scared than anything else. One of the few times in my life I was grateful for having a ton of extra padding. :laugh:

My older brother thought it was hilarious. But then again, him and his friends used to beat me up and make me eat mud. He was a real jerk. But most times I probably deserved it. I was a real pain in the ass. :laugh:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Sorry to here about the mean brother, I hope he is nice now like one should be. My sisters was older, one was nice, the other hated me for taking her spot as the baby of the family. It's all good now though :)
I'm glad you didn't get killed, the injuries was bad sounding.

Me I fell maybe 25 feet, not the only time either, had a ladder break on me, and another time fell through a rotter floor, then there was me horsing around fell off the second story of the garage.
Just a few bruises, and once a badly sprained ankle, I was pretty tough but it caught up to me from the work injury.
I feel from about 8 feet from a tree as a kid, hit some barbwire, and cut my back up a little, burned like hell.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: Sorry to here about the mean brother, I hope he is nice now like one should be. My sisters was older, one was nice, the other hated me for taking her spot as the baby of the family. It's all good now though :)
I'm glad you didn't get killed, the injuries was bad sounding.

Me I fell maybe 25 feet, not the only time either, had a ladder break on me, and another time fell through a rotter floor, then there was me horsing around fell off the second story of the garage.
Just a few bruises, and once a badly sprained ankle, I was pretty tough but it caught up to me from the work injury.
I feel from about 8 feet from a tree as a kid, hit some barbwire, and cut my back up a little, burned like hell.
Wow, it sounds like you are lucky to be alive. It's amazing that you aren't seriously crippled. :o

My brother and I never got along as kids. We are better now but not great. Let's put it this way; if he was drowning in a big vat of shit, I wouldn't jump in to save him. I'd probably go find a rope and throw that in when I got around to it. I'm pretty sure he would do the same if the roles were reversed. :laugh:

We sort of called a truce after he basically pushed me down the basement stairs and almost killed me. I ended up with a severe concussion and a broken leg. It scared the crap out of him and me too. I was 13 and he was 15 and since then we kinda mutually tolerate each other.

We used to antagonize each other so badly as kids that our parents used to have to separate us for weeks at a time, just to have some peace in the house. I used to get sent to my grandmothers house which was a few miles away which was fine by me. I liked there and my Nonna used to spoil me rotten. I used to hate to go home. :laugh: I swear I used to pick fights with my brother just so I could be sent back. :laugh:

Families are funny things. No one can annoy you or make you feel like shit like a family member can. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

SO sorry to here all that Renee, my friend Greg has about the same with his whole family.
I feel so lucky to have siblings like mine even with our issues, we all get along, and love each other.
Never to late to make peace with one another, you are adults now, but if staying apart is more realistic then keep what works.

As for my injuries yes, those where dangerous ones, but i had a lot worse over the years, some from stupidity, some from just bad luck.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: SO sorry to here all that Renee, my friend Greg has about the same with his whole family.
I feel so lucky to have siblings like mine even with our issues, we all get along, and love each other.
Never to late to make peace with one another, you are adults now, but if staying apart is more realistic then keep what works.

As for my injuries yes, those where dangerous ones, but i had a lot worse over the years, some from stupidity, some from just bad luck.
Sounds like you've had it rough. If falling off a second floor roof wasn't the worse thing that ever happened to you then I can only imagine your other mishaps. Hopefully you never stepped in front of an oncoming bus. :o

As for my brother and I, it's not so terrible. We talk and we see each other pretty often but we just aren't close. Some of the things he said and did to me have left scars and I can't seem to forget them nor am I about to.

My younger sister on the other hand; I have a close relationship with her. As kids we used to fight a lot too but as we got older, we've devolved a close bond. We've put all our sibling rivalry behind us a long time ago. In fact we laugh about it now, even the time I shoved her in the toilet and tried to flush her. :laugh: As kids I looked at her as everything I wanted to be but couldn't, thin, pretty, smart, MOMS FAVORITE. :laugh: I was jealous as hell. But little did I know that she always wanted to be me. She thought I was cool, she thought I was tough and badass. She wanted to be good at sports and popular with the cool kids like I was. Growing up I never knew that. To me she was just this snotty little stuck up, goth princess, who could wrap boys around her little finger. :angry: :laugh:

To be honest I had severe middle child syndrome and was very difficult to get along with. I antagonized both my sibs horribly and I tested my parents patience constantly. Right up through my college years I was a complete hard headed, total bitch. The only person that could handle me was my dad. Consequently I spent a lot of time with him growing up and to this day I still idolize that man.

WOw, I just spilled a lot of my guts. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I was close to my dad also, I miss him terribly, and almost died myself when the VA killed him.
I was a pretty good kid myself, but me, and my brother would get in fights. I never tried to hurt him, but he did try to hurt me.
We get along good now.
I have two sisters both older, the one had the middle kid stuff against me, but I never knew why she treated me bad till I was older.
She tried to take help my brother once in a fight against me, I had him in a headlock trying to get him to calm down.
I told her calmly don't him me again, and she backed off. That was the only time she did that, bothered me a lot.
I was always nice to her so never got why she was like she was.
Like you said before family can hurt you like nobody else.

LOL, no bus hit me, but two cars have, one a glancing blow, the other pined me between a wall, and one fell on me while working under it pinning me down.
Bruises, cuts, and pain, I'm paying for it now. :blush:
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: I was close to my dad also, I miss him terribly, and almost died myself when the VA killed him.
I was a pretty good kid myself, but me, and my brother would get in fights. I never tried to hurt him, but he did try to hurt me.
We get along good now.
I have two sisters both older, the one had the middle kid stuff against me, but I never knew why she treated me bad till I was older.
She tried to take help my brother once in a fight against me, I had him in a headlock trying to get him to calm down.
I told her calmly don't him me again, and she backed off. That was the only time she did that, bothered me a lot.
I was always nice to her so never got why she was like she was.
Like you said before family can hurt you like nobody else.

LOL, no bus hit me, but two cars have, one a glancing blow, the other pined me between a wall, and one fell on me while working under it pinning me down.
Bruises, cuts, and pain, I'm paying for it now. :blush:
I'm very sorry about your dad, you have my sympathies. I understand want it's like to be close to a parent. I don't even want to think about the loss of my father when that day comes. It's hard to think of a time without him around but I know that one day that time will come. He is a huge influence on how I think and how I parent my own children. He has always been there and he is this big larger than life monolithic guy that shaped my.

I'm also sorry to hear that you have issues stemming from all your accidents. I kinda know what's that like but probably not anywhere near the degree that you experience them. As I've gotten older the leg I broke sometimes aches when there are severe weather changes. My right thigh is held together with screws and a plate. Doctors said that I would probably have a limp for the rest of my life but instead I went on to play softball for a big ten college on a full athletic scholarship. I'm pretty proud of that. I worked hard to prove the orthopedic doctor wrong.

Unfortunately the position I played through HS and college, (catcher) wrecked my knees and all the weight I gained after I started having kids didn't help either. Last August I tore my right ACL playing softball at the company picnic. I had surgery and I'm now in physical therapy 5 days a week. The therapist said she never saw anyone heal as fast as me. I'm weeks ahead in rehab and two months out from the operation I'm already doing strength training. So hopefully I'll have full or almost full mobility in the knee by years end. :thumbsup:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I hope that heals good also, my friend just had his ACL done, and back to work. He was off almost two months.
We sure mess a lot up on ourselves, to bad we can't go back, and change things.
A good doctor is a great doctor when it comes to healing, some take their time, and do it right, many don't.

I'm glad you have a dad like that, I wish everyone did, the world would be a much better place.
You get a chance give him a big hug :) apparently he is deserving.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

You will have to open the page to watch this one. I wonder if they know if a big one is going to hit ? They do have their underground bunkers for something.

People in the Republic of Khakassia in southwest Siberia witnessed a large fireball exploding in the sky on Tuesday, which briefly made the evening as bright as the day. Some even managed to catch the event on camera.

“At first, I couldn’t understand what’s going on. There was a sudden luminescence. It wasn’t as light as day, but still quite bright,” witness Olga Sagalakova told RT.

“We looked at the mountain near us… and there was huge meteor flying above it. It had a tail. Frankly, I was scared. I thought that it was a bomb,” she said.

q
Night into Day: Meteor explodes over Siberian city (VIDEOS) https://t.co/TdLwrABSmCpic.twitter.com/vMvcdcMmtn
— RT (@RT_com) December 6, 2016Q
Reports of the rare occurrence came from across Khakassia, as well as from the neighboring Krasnoyarsk Region, local news website xakac.info reports. The event was best seen over the town of Sayanogorsk.

A Khakassia resident, Nikolay Soldatov, said that the meteor “emitted a cold light like a fluorescent lamp.”

“I saw that it was starting to brighten fast. The flash was really bright. It wasn’t blinding, but it was still bright. I looked up and... above the city hospital there was a meteor,” he told RT.

The meteor was seen for three or four seconds and around half a minute later there was a loud bang, triggering car alarms in many parts of the city, the witness said.

“It was very beautiful. You don’t see this every day,” Sergey Isaykin said of the meteor. “But we weren’t scared as we instantly understood that it was something like [what happened] in Chelyabinsk three years ago.”

https://www.rt.com/news/369379-siberia- ... ast-video/
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Gary Oak wrote: You will have to open the page to watch this one. I wonder if they know if a big one is going to hit ? They do have their underground bunkers for something.

People in the Republic of Khakassia in southwest Siberia witnessed a large fireball exploding in the sky on Tuesday, which briefly made the evening as bright as the day. Some even managed to catch the event on camera.

“At first, I couldn’t understand what’s going on. There was a sudden luminescence. It wasn’t as light as day, but still quite bright,” witness Olga Sagalakova told RT.

“We looked at the mountain near us… and there was huge meteor flying above it. It had a tail. Frankly, I was scared. I thought that it was a bomb,” she said.

q
Night into Day: Meteor explodes over Siberian city (VIDEOS) https://t.co/TdLwrABSmCpic.twitter.com/vMvcdcMmtn
— RT (@RT_com) December 6, 2016Q
Reports of the rare occurrence came from across Khakassia, as well as from the neighboring Krasnoyarsk Region, local news website xakac.info reports. The event was best seen over the town of Sayanogorsk.

A Khakassia resident, Nikolay Soldatov, said that the meteor “emitted a cold light like a fluorescent lamp.”

“I saw that it was starting to brighten fast. The flash was really bright. It wasn’t blinding, but it was still bright. I looked up and... above the city hospital there was a meteor,” he told RT.

The meteor was seen for three or four seconds and around half a minute later there was a loud bang, triggering car alarms in many parts of the city, the witness said.

“It was very beautiful. You don’t see this every day,” Sergey Isaykin said of the meteor. “But we weren’t scared as we instantly understood that it was something like [what happened] in Chelyabinsk three years ago.”

https://www.rt.com/news/369379-siberia- ... ast-video/
How come this shit always happens over some remote location in Siberia?

Does anyone else find that strange? :unsure: