World War 1 The Great War

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I forget how all that non commission works, but I think you loose two ranks becoming an officer.
I don't like how they do it, experience in the field should trump a book.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm I forget how all that non commission works, but I think you loose two ranks becoming an officer.
I don't like how they do it, experience in the field should trump a book.
In most cases, rank doesnt mean shit..

The guys follow the man who has his act together..
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Pretty much, but that guy does have to answer to the command be it good, or bad.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

[video][/video]
Gary Oaktree

This is a very interesting video. The driver must have been in on the assassination by the Serb just like the JFK assassination. All the massive amount of death. These people orchestrating this were not Christians. It was orchestrated to keep Germany down. I will have to watch this video again.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: World War 1 The Great War

I knew living on the trenches was horrible but this video has details about it that I didn’t know.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We had trenches in the civil war around some cities, and thy where just as bad in the end.
Most people don't realize we had them before in that form, we always had them in history, but mostly where for slowing people down, not living in.

Trench warfare was a stupid tactic, and everyone looses, those generals, and leaders on both sides needed shot.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

In Europe the officers were the rich kids and the guys going into no mans land were the regular folks. The Canadians and I imagine the Americans, kiwis and ozzies weren’t so class concious.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Like in our Civil War the rich paid someone to take their spots in the trenches, and they did that from way back in history.
Here in the States it stopped sometime at the end of the Civil war when people found out on mass.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

That’s an interesting bit of history that may be forbidden history. I doubt that this is taught in school.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think in one of the Clint Eastwood movies they showed some, maybe it was the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. :think:

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

That’s the one. They also showed how they drank liquor for liquid courage. I don’t know much about the American civil war but I sure enjoy watching Gone With The Wind. Perhaps if I watch enough videos likes this one I will know that topic quite well.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I forget what city it was in Tennessee, but it was surrounded by trenches, and the inhabitants had to eat rats, and some cannibalism went on.
Trench warfare cost way to much, and like Patton said "A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

John Chapman..

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Calm, and cool is better than in a panic, I'm glad he got a medal for it, the rest seemed not to be.
A good calm person can either be killed, or embolden the rest to muster up courage.
I wish he survived, and wished he had more help. :(
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I talked with a few WW1 soldiers at the VA when I was a kid, they where different than the WW2 soldiers, more somber I guess.
I don't believe any where in the trenches, but may have been, but they did fight some nasty battles.

Me, and a friend was talking about WW1 today, I might be saving up for a Trench shotgun that has been brought back out by Inland arms.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: September 28th, 2020, 10:55 pm I talked with a few WW1 soldiers at the VA when I was a kid, they where different than the WW2 soldiers, more somber I guess.
I don't believe any where in the trenches, but may have been, but they did fight some nasty battles.

Me, and a friend was talking about WW1 today, I might be saving up for a Trench shotgun that has been brought back out by Inland arms.
Sorry but that's not even close to being an accurate repro of a WW1 era trench broom.

A real WW1 trench shotgun would be a Winchester model 1897 hammer pump. That thing looks like a copy of a Ithaca model 37. The 37 was based on a Browning design and was first marketed by Remington as the model 17 in 1921. Ithaca introduced the model 37 in 1937 and ceased production of all sporting arms to make 1911 pistols and M3 grease guns during WW2. So to my knowledge, it wouldn't even make an accurate WW2 era miltary shotgun.

Buy what you like as the design is a great piece of firearms engineering but I wouldn't buy it with the idea of it being historically accurate.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It's made from the original plans, and company patent, the difference is a shorter tube, bottom eject, and trigger guard.
There is other models also, and some Vietnam era.
The M98 was the WW1 version, this is the M35 by the way.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: September 29th, 2020, 1:55 pm It's made from the original plans, and company patent, the difference is a shorter tube, bottom eject, and trigger guard.
There is other models also, and some Vietnam era.
The M98 was the WW1 version, this is the M35 by the way.
It's not a WW1 era design nor was a bottom load/ejection even available to the US army in 1917 when we entered the war. The M97 was a Winchester hammer pump and standard US army issue during WW1.

To my knowledge the M97 was still issued in WW2 with the next more modern pump being the winchester model 12. The model 12 does not have bottom ejection. The 37 may have seen some limited use in WW2 but I do believe the majority of the pump guns issued to the US army in both wars were Winchesters.

I'm inclined to believe that is more of a Vietnam era weapon.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas