World War 1 The Great War

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: October 23rd, 2018, 1:55 pm You dont see shell shock in modern wars.

Artillery barrages lasting for days.

[video][/video]
Yeah you do....The US military now uses the term CSR or "Combat Stress Reaction" and it's symptoms vary depending upon what kind of combat stress a soldier is exposed to. It's usually a short term condition but can become acute and morph into long term PTSD if not treated properly. In WWII and the Korean War and early Vietnam, it was known as "Combat Fatigue" or "Battle Neurosis". It's classic symptoms are "The 1000 yard stare", mutism, confusion, amnesia, severe anxiety, headaches, shaking and tremors, loss of motor control or coordination and a host of other physical, psychological and neurological disorders.

Each war after WWI has been different because tactics, equipment technology and frontline exposure has changed and evolved in duration and subsequent treatment. But recently US doctors have discovered that neurological and psychological damage done to soldiers exposed to IED explosions mimics that of soldiers afflicted with Shell Shock during WWI. This is leading the medical community to believe that there has been very little difference over the last 100 years in the effects of severe combat on the human neurological system.

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odinson wrote: October 23rd, 2018, 1:55 pm You dont see shell shock in modern wars.

[video][/video]
Shell shock has just changed names over the years, it's still there.
My Nephew had it, he would dive for cover every time a firecracker went off, or someone shot a gun near by. It don't take days to acquire it, just a moment, or so can cause it.
He had a friend blown up next to him, and worse later he had to clean up the mess.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: October 23rd, 2018, 3:26 pm

[video][/video]
Yeah you do....The US military now uses the term CSR or "Combat Stress Reaction" and it's symptoms vary depending upon what kind of combat stress a soldier is exposed to. It's usually a short term condition but can become acute and morph into long term PTSD if not treated properly. In WWII and the Korean War and early Vietnam, it was known as "Combat Fatigue" or "Battle Neurosis". It's classic symptoms are "The 1000 yard stare", mutism, confusion, amnesia, severe anxiety, headaches, shaking and tremors, loss of motor control or coordination and a host of other physical, psychological and neurological disorders.

Each war after WWI has been different because tactics, equipment technology and frontline exposure has changed and evolved in duration and subsequent treatment. But recently US doctors have discovered that neurological and psychological damage done to soldiers exposed to IED explosions mimics that of soldiers afflicted with Shell Shock during WWI. This is leading the medical community to believe that there has been very little difference over the last 100 years in the effects of severe combat on the human neurological system.
I think shell shock goes in a different category than your regular combat fatigue.

Combat fatigue is sort of normal since no1 wants to be there.

Mutism, 1000 yard stare, confusion etc. are all normal...

These WW1 guys seem to have lost all their marbles.. Blasted with cannon fire.

Yeah the IEDs are a psychological weapon.

Random explosions here and there keeps you on your toes.. Never knowing when its your turn.

Men were harder back in 100 years ago..
Now we have a lot of wussies in the military who havent developed the hardened spirit... They dont have resilience, they dont have guts..

They break when they realize mortar rounds and bullets kill...

Many of these chumps dont belong in the army..
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I used to know some Korean war vets, and Vietnam ones that went through some horrible stuff, a few had that look of the guy on the video, it's all the same, just different people. Some had more exposure, some weaker minded, but all the same.
It's like a dog that freaks at the sound of lightning, the poor thing can't help it.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: October 25th, 2018, 6:08 pm

[video][/video]

I think shell shock goes in a different category than your regular combat fatigue.

Random explosions here and there keeps you on your toes.. Never knowing when its your turn.

Now we have a lot of wussies in the military who havent developed the hardened spirit... They dont have resilience, they dont have guts..

Doctors more knowledgeable than you or I have determined that throught modern history the body's and mind's reaction to extreme violence is the same. You can call it "shell shock", "combat fatigue" or PTSD, it's the same thing.

As for men being harder 100 years ago...I dont think that is necessarily true as in the case of military service, at least not in countries that have "voluntary" service. In a "voluntary military", most of the recruits genuinely want to be there. They want to do the best they can. I'm pretty sure that's not the case in a "mandatory" service military. In a "mandatory service military", you are bound to get a much higher number of service personnel that simply do not want to serve. That was the case when we had a mandatory service requirement back during the Vietnam era. There were a lot of drafted servicemen that did not want to serve and many were mentally unfit to serve. They did not want to go to a foreign land where they were unwanted, to be killed by an enemy they did not even know or care about, over a cause that had no meaning to them. It's not exactly hard to understand that kind of mindset.

Sometimes governments ask way too much of people for reasons that are almost inexplicable to the average citizen. In many ways it's fucking criminal. But for some God damn stupid reason we let these political hacks and Pentagon cowboys get away with it... :kez:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: October 26th, 2018, 10:44 am
Odinson wrote: October 25th, 2018, 6:08 pm

[video][/video]

Doctors more knowledgeable than you or I have determined that throught modern history the body's and mind's reaction to extreme violence is the same. You can call it "shell shock", "combat fatigue" or PTSD, it's the same thing.

As for men being harder 100 years ago...I dont think that is necessarily true as in the case of military service, at least not in countries that have "voluntary" service. In a "voluntary military", most of the recruits genuinely want to be there. They want to do the best they can. I'm pretty sure that's not the case in a "mandatory" service military. In a "mandatory service military", you are bound to get a much higher number of service personnel that simply do not want to serve. That was the case when we had a mandatory service requirement back during the Vietnam era. There were a lot of drafted servicemen that did not want to serve and many were mentally unfit to serve. They did not want to go to a foreign land where they were unwanted, to be killed by an enemy they did not even know or care about, over a cause that had no meaning to them. It's not exactly hard to understand that kind of mindset.

Sometimes governments ask way too much of people for reasons that are almost inexplicable to the average citizen. In many ways it's fucking criminal. But for some God damn stupid reason we let these political hacks and Pentagon cowboys get away with it... :kez:
Extreme violence only becomes a problem when its directed towards you.. :teehe:

Everything was tougher a 100 years ago..
Back in those days there was less tolerance to "special needs".

The army was prussian style.

The US army recruitment methods are highly questionable.. Sort of like the methods in the british army during the napoleonic wars.
Many of them seem to get scammed into service with false promises.. The hot recruitment lady promises everything... Like the devil himself. :teehe:

And I dont think the rest knows what they are signing... But they are obliged to follow orders for years.

Dying in a place like Afghanistan, Iraq or Vietnam... For fatherland..
Makes no sense.

Even the thickest numbskull is gonna realize why they are there.. And its gonna cause the 1000 yard stare, confusion symptoms.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 10:07 pm I used to know some Korean war vets, and Vietnam ones that went through some horrible stuff, a few had that look of the guy on the video, it's all the same, just different people. Some had more exposure, some weaker minded, but all the same.
It's like a dog that freaks at the sound of lightning, the poor thing can't help it.
A lot of guys cant keep their thinking to the bare minimum..

They are needlessly afraid of basic artillery fire and skirmish... The guns are more terrible in their head than in real-life.

A tank is frigging scary metal beast when you lose your head and start over-thinking.
To me tanks are death-traps.. Almost zero visibility and you know you are the number one target.

Dont humanize the enemy..

And thats not a hard thing to do with the towelheads and negroes. :teehe:

The extra thinking causes combat fatigue, shell shock, PTSD etc.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Have you had it, or know anyone that has ?
I know a few that had it over the years, some worse than others, most where tough people.
The closest i have had to what it's said to be is punchy from being jumped, and fighting so much, but that can't compare a lot I don't believe to what they experience.
I think maybe it's like a poor dog that's been kicked around so much it cowers at the approach of anyone even if the person was never mean to it.
It's more than thinking, it's conditioning as well as muscle memory.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 1st, 2018, 9:59 pm Have you had it, or know anyone that has ?
I know a few that had it over the years, some worse than others, most where tough people.
The closest i have had to what it's said to be is punchy from being jumped, and fighting so much, but that can't compare a lot I don't believe to what they experience.
I think maybe it's like a poor dog that's been kicked around so much it cowers at the approach of anyone even if the person was never mean to it.
I got fatigued.. Just in need of some personal time..

That happens to every1... Gotta recharge your batteries..

Dogs are slaves to their instincts.. People have reason and you gotta fight the feeling of wanting to collapse and suck your thumb. :teehe:
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 9:09 pm
Blue Frost wrote: November 1st, 2018, 9:59 pm Have you had it, or know anyone that has ?

Dogs are slaves to their instincts.. People have reason and you gotta fight the feeling of wanting to collapse and suck your thumb. :teehe:
So you were subjected to an artillery barrage or was it a missile attack in your rear echelon?

Speaking of the rear; is your date with your butt buddy all set up?... :cool:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Fatigued in what, doing what, I got that from just working around here.
Having bombs, or artillery fire right on you is another thing. Like I said my Nephew who was in battle jumped to the floor when a firecracker went off, he wasn't a weak minded person.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am

So you were subjected to an artillery barrage or was it a missile attack in your rear echelon?

Speaking of the rear; is your date with your butt buddy all set up?... :cool:
I got scars running from the base of my neck, over my shoulder to my right arm.. Slashed open deep and the blood came gushing out.

They are quite nice looking.. Adds character.

The thing that felt like a missile up my ass was that when I came back to service, I realized that I have lost my command..

The same feeling like when you come home and find some other bear eating your honey..
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 10:50 am

Fatigued in what, doing what, I got that from just working around here.
Having bombs, or artillery fire right on you is another thing. Like I said my Nephew who was in battle jumped to the floor when a firecracker went off, he wasn't a weak minded person.
Long missions/operations.. You could call that combat fatigue.

What type of a soldier was your nephew?
What was his weapons branch?

What rank?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Fatigue as in tired isn't what we are talking about :laugh:

My nephew was low ranking, and in Iraq , and Afghanistan. He was in combat a few times, and his barracks was attacked several times, and shelled.
His vehicle was hit, and fellow soldier was killed near him in it, and later had to clean up the mess which was uncalled for in my opinion by his commanding officer.
I think he was maybe an E3, or E4
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 9:47 pm Fatigue as in tired isn't what we are talking about :laugh:

My nephew was low ranking, and in Iraq , and Afghanistan. He was in combat a few times, and his barracks was attacked several times, and shelled.
His vehicle was hit, and fellow soldier was killed near him in it, and later had to clean up the mess which was uncalled for in my opinion by his commanding officer.
I think he was maybe an E3, or E4
Being tired seems to have similar effects as that combat fatigue thing.

Pay grade E3-E4.. He was better than average.
I would be pay grade 8 or 9 in the US army.

I think the motor pool staff should have cleaned the vehicle.. Its their thing.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Being fatigued is part of what may be part of the cause, but it's just part.
It's like not sleeping, and picking up a virus, your immune system is down.

So you would be a Command sergeant major, in our army that means collage, and I think maybe time in combat.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

This is WW2 in a nutshell.. :laugh:

Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

This is the basis of U.S. foreign policy..

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I laughed loudly throughout that entire movie. I am surprised that they didn't kick me out of the theater.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 4th, 2018, 11:04 am Being fatigued is part of what may be part of the cause, but it's just part.
It's like not sleeping, and picking up a virus, your immune system is down.

So you would be a Command sergeant major, in our army that means collage, and I think maybe time in combat.
Not quite like tired..
Sleeping doesnt cure it.
You need a holiday. :teehe:

I have one NCO rank to go..

Service abroad sure does put this on a faster lane..

And my cousin told me exactly what to do if I want to advance quickly.