..Guns Guns & More Guns

Political stuff, stuff people love to hate.
Mel Gibson

Re: ..Guns Guns & More Guns

Sounds like the laws are actually very similar... Defending our outside property, we can use a "reasonable amount of force," which means the judge or jury will eventually decide what 'reasonable' means, on a case by case basis if it involves a firearm.

Depending on the circumstances (i.e. Tyrone and friends acting menacing on your lawn), brandishing a firearm is permitted on your property here. But if you discharge your gun? You must believe you were protecting yourself, or someone else, from grievous bodily harm or death. So no, as much as we'd like to, we can't shoot Jamal running away with our TV. Well, you can, but you'd be convicted of manslaughter at the very least, as well as some Criminal Code firearms violations most likely as well... These charges would almost be guaranteed to be our version of your 'Felony' status convictions, so not a good thing to have to deal with.

And I do try to keep up with State to State firearms regs in my spare time also, but it is an overwhelmingly difficult thing to do... California and New York City, then you have freer States, then you have counties that can make up their own rules... It's almost bewildering. Luckily you still have (mostly) quite soft punishment if you forget a minor rule. Sometimes even just a simple fine.

Here, most everything is controlled at the Federal level, so there are very few, if any, regulatory changes from Province to Province, although a few do exist. Pretty much what you can do on the East Coast, you can do on the West Coast, and everywhere in between. One exception is Provincial Parks, and each Province can set certain rules if you are in a Provincial Park. They can enforce no firearms at all in a Provincial Park for any reason at any time, or in other Provincial Parks you can have a gun and even hunt in some areas.

Other than the Provincial Park regs though, we have it pretty easy knowing the regs, since we're already nicely and heavily restricted from Coast to Coast at a Federal level already! Though, California and New York seem to be even more strict than our current regs, and some other States aren't so gun friendly either, probably more or less on par with most of our laws.

A sign of the times, I guess. We never had a Constitution to begin with, and yours is slowly getting whittled away. They can do this by not outright banning things, but making the rules & regs so god damned cumbersome that they hope you just eventually give in and admit defeat!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

How to convince Odi a 45 is better than a 9mm :spit:

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I would like this gun, 45 Smith, would be nicer if more polished.
Damn chicken finger finish people have been sold on sucks.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

M1 Carbine or M1 Garand?

Lets assume that we are fighting at distances around 150 yards or less..
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Both rifles where overrated, but 150 yards, or less Ill take the carbine just because of weight.
Both guns have downsides to them, the carbine the weaker round, the Garand weight, and length along with kick.
Just give me the Thompson since it was in theater at the same time in lesser numbers.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I got to thinking last night about the question of which, and i stick with it, but I actually would rather have a K-31 Swedish bolt action Mauser over both those options.
Second the Finnish model of the same gun.
I know a lot of people are sold on the Garand, but it's highly overrated, and was showed in by the powers that be over a much better gun, or guns
The Carbine is a mediocre round, with lackluster power, the gun should have been chambered in something better. Yeah you can take down the target usually, but a lot of times they didn't stay down.

I have used all those rifles, and even with the bolt action I was fast enough to take down targets fast with it.
Also a lever action as old as they are I can shoot, and reload as I do so pretty fast, and even faster than the bold action Mauser.
Just ask the Russian Historians what they think about those Rifles, the Russians had their asses handed to them many times with both types of guns in history, shamefully in some battles.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Ohhhh ! Ahhhh ! :teehe:
Would love to know how to engrave like that.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm surprised it opened up so well at that range.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I was about to order this rifle today, but it seems someone beat me to it :facepalm:
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?It ... %%2020Feed
I would have had a bigger loop for it anyhow I guess, those small ones eat at my hand a bit.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:26 pm I would have had a bigger loop for it anyhow I guess, those small ones eat at my hand a bit.
My stepfathers old 30-30 Winchester had the standard loop, and while it worked just fine (and was aesthetically pleasing also), I do prefer the large loop on my Marlin 45-70!

More freedom, especially if you have a gloved hand (not everyone lives in Arizona!), and a little more clearance room when the 45-70 bear loads kick that shit back hard!

The loops are fairly easy to change over on the Marlin's though, and some do switch to a big loop for the above reasons... Although .357 Mag chambering wouldn't create any real kick issues.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have shot many lever guns, and even with the small caliber ones I prefer a bigger loop, I have large hands, and those start cutting into my pinky finger .
I had a Winchester 30-30, and sold it instead of getting a bigger loop for it.
I would get a bigger loop for my 44-40, but it was given to me with a leather wrapped lever, and I would hate to offend the guy.
Not the large round loop, I guess the teardrop one is my favorite, Oval also is nice, or is it egg shaped the one I like. :think:
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: April 9th, 2020, 7:54 pm M1 Carbine or M1 Garand?

150 yards is stretching it for the M1 carbine.

.30 carbine was meant as a split the difference round between full battle rifle rounds and the submachine gun rounds of the day. It's most effective at 100 yards or less. The M2 (selective fire M1 carbine) is an excellent close combat rifle.

In that case I would choose the Garand. The 06 has proven itself out to 1000 yards and beyond even with cheap miltary surplus ammo. As a kid I competed in DCM matches with my dad's garand at places like Fort Dix and I can attest to it's capabilities. But in a combat situation you really are limited to the 150gr fully jacketed miltary spec round. That's what the garand was designed for. Using any other bullet and load configuration and you run the risk of the rifle malfunctioning.

If you really want a long range battle rifle, the M14 (M1A) or the FAL are better options because the action is shorter and the rifle has a detachable mag for the convenience of quick reloads. The garand can be a real pain the ass to reload...like the SKS it reloads from stripper clips and if you are not careful or quick enough to get you fingers out of the way, the bolt can slam home and catch your thumb and that hurts like a mother fucker. In fact there is a name for it called "Garand thumb" or "M1 thumb".
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: April 12th, 2020, 4:48 am I have shot many lever guns, and even with the small caliber ones I prefer a bigger loop, I have large hands, and those start cutting into my pinky finger .
I had a Winchester 30-30, and sold it instead of getting a bigger loop for it.
I would get a bigger loop for my 44-40, but it was given to me with a leather wrapped lever, and I would hate to offend the guy.
Not the large round loop, I guess the teardrop one is my favorite, Oval also is nice, or is it egg shaped the one I like. :think:
Ranger Point Precision makes a great large loop lever..They specialize in Marlins but the have levers for Winchester and some of the Winchester clones.

Both my .444 and my 30-30 Marlins wear Ranger Point levers and they are excellent. They are the "oval" style and look much better than the comical looking big loop Remlin put on their rifles at the factory.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Rossi is what I'm looking at for a lever gun right now, unless I find one better.
Thanks for the name of that company, Ill look them up , if I get the gun at some point when it's available Ill see about getting a better loop, that small one just wont do.

I think the big round loop needs to go back on Chars ears, i don't want them on a rifle. :laugh:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: April 15th, 2020, 7:47 pm

.30 carbine was meant as a split the difference round between full battle rifle rounds and the submachine gun rounds of the day. It's most effective at 100 yards or less. The M2 (selective fire M1 carbine) is an excellent close combat rifle.

In that case I would choose the Garand. The 06 has proven itself out to 1000 yards and beyond even with cheap miltary surplus ammo. As a kid I competed in DCM matches with my dad's garand at places like Fort Dix and I can attest to it's capabilities. But in a combat situation you really are limited to the 150gr fully jacketed miltary spec round. That's what the garand was designed for. Using any other bullet and load configuration and you run the risk of the rifle malfunctioning.

If you really want a long range battle rifle, the M14 (M1A) or the FAL are better options because the action is shorter and the rifle has a detachable mag for the convenience of quick reloads. The garand can be a real pain the ass to reload...like the SKS it reloads from stripper clips and if you are not careful or quick enough to get you fingers out of the way, the bolt can slam home and catch your thumb and that hurts like a mother fucker. In fact there is a name for it called "Garand thumb" or "M1 thumb".
I over did the distance... Lets say you are fighting in a city/urban area where the Garands firing range superiority doesnt come into play..

What would make you choose the M1/M2 Carbine for close combat situation?
Over the Garand...
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 3:20 pm
Renee wrote: April 15th, 2020, 7:47 pm

I over did the distance... Lets say you are fighting in a city/urban area where the Garands firing range superiority doesnt come into play..

What would make you choose the M1/M2 Carbine for close combat situation?
Over the Garand...
Number one...is portability. The M1 or M2 carbine only has an 18" barrel and it weighs less than 6 pounds loaded. The ammo is lighter to carry and it loads from a 15 round detachable mag so you don't have those bastard stripper clips to deal with.

Secondly,... the M2 is selective fire. It can go from semi to full auto with a flip of a switch. Short burst of full auto with a .30 carbine are reasonably controllable even for someone my size.

Third,... every M1 or M1 clone I've seen is usually more than combat accurate and they are rugged as fuck.

Fourth...I'm very familiar with the weapon. I can field strip it and put it back together practically with my eyes closed. My dad has two of them (M1 and an M2) and one of the things you learn when you grow up in a household like I did, is how to strip, clean and maintain guns. Me and my brother can probably field strip almost any weapon you hand us even if we are unfamiliar with it. Even my artsy fartsy younger sister can field strip and clean just about any shotgun. She'll complain about it like a cat having bath but she can do it... :laugh:

The .30 carbine round was designed as a 300 yard cartridge but real world experience says that's very optimistic. In open ground, at the extreme end of it's range, with a lightly clothed target, it will work marginally. But it's definitely best suited for shots 100 yards and less, where heavy winter clothing or body armor isn't really a factor.

In Korea, during the winter, GIs complained that the .30 carbine was not always a man stopper because at long range, the heavy winter clothing the N. Koreans and Chinese were wearing cut down on penetration. Alternately in the early stages of Vietnam, where warm weather and closer fighting was the norm, it actually out performed the early M16s for reliability and bullet performance. Some GIs considered them like gold.

That being said, if you are thinking about a .30 carbine as a weapon for when the shit hits the fan, you might want to rethink it based on the Korean experience. Stick with your pot metal AK. The action will rattle, clack, and flap until doomsday, while throwing bullets all over creation. You might not hit your targets but you will scare the shit out of them.... :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

All mine :happy:
Just found one in stock, needed it like another hole in the head, but hey :) I don't drink, smoke, or take drugs so what the heck.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:facepalm:
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: April 28th, 2020, 1:57 pm All mine :happy:
Just found one in stock, needed it like another hole in the head, but hey :) I don't drink, smoke, or take drugs so what the heck.
Nice! Made in Brazil, right? How's the fit & finish? I've never owned a Rossi. Now you just need a sling kit and a nice leather sling...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Hiya Mel, :)
Not got it yet, should be mailed out soon though if they can get their heads out of their asses.
I'm looking for a bigger loop right now for it, and I'm not sure if ill bother with a sling since I don't hunt with my guns.
I have a few slings already, and some of my guns, but they are not really needed.
I may wrap the stock, and lever in leather, and maybe a ladder site, not sure yet.

Rossie isn't a bad gun, owned by Taurus now I believe.