Bugs

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Bugs

Well I have seen those all except the skeleton spider, and unfortunately we have a few of those here like the brown recluse. :yuk:

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owch! the brown recluse is an invasive species that should be killed on sight
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have seen a few people with bites from them, my friend Ed thought he was going to loose his hand from being bit.
He was moving some rock for a culvert, and one was in there.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

[video][/video]
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

bizarre
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The hard body spiders like that are usually prehistoric leftovers, they look creepy as can be don't they.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

This massive huntsman just ate a lizard on a family's living room window
http://www.sciencealert.com/this-massiv ... oom-window
What a nice story for everyone.
BEC CREW
7 DEC 2016

Australia has a reputation for harbouring some of the worst triggers on Earth for whatever nature-inspired phobia you might have. Our pizza rat is a huntsman dragging a dead mouse up the side of a refrigerator, and don’t get me started on how this kangaroo got sexually aroused by a dying female.

But don’t worry, this story is only about nice things. Nice things like a massive huntsman trying to clean up a gecko corpse from a couple’s living room window. Everyone likes nice things.

The images were captured by Australian Melanie Jade Ottaway at her home in Queensland, and she reports that the spider was about 12 cm in diameter (5 inches).

"We just sat down to have dinner at the dining table and noticed something massive on the glass sliding door, I got up to have a closer look and there it was, a huge huntsman with a gorgeous little gecko in his mouth," she told Sam Webb at The Sun.

"It was too late to save him, so we let nature take its path."

Let's all just take a moment to appreciate the vacant stare of our deceased gecko friend.

gecko-faceMelanie Jade Ottaway

It died accepting a fate that most of us wouldn't wish on our worst enemy, and it did it with little Mickey Mouse hands :(

spider-geckoMelanie Jade Ottaway

For prey like this ill-fated gecko, huntsman spiders are a pretty intimidating foe.

Unlike web-building spiders, which can be avoided pretty easily so long as you watch where you’re going, or are big enough to not care, huntsman track their prey using stealth tactics.

They stalk their food, capture it, and hold it in place with powerful, mouse-toting mandibles, while their venom immobilises them.

Huntsman belong to a group of more than 1,000 separate species of spiders belonging to the Sparassidae family, and they're found across Australia, Africa, Asia, the Mediterranean, and the Americas.

While they're not exactly known for chowing down on mice and relatively large lizards, they're opportunistic predators, so they'll certainly give it a go if the opportunity presents itself.

And the bad news for anyone who doesn't like huntsmen - all those record-breaking months we've had this year is only going to help populations, because spiders thrive in the heat.

If you're in Sydney, we've already had a 'spider boom' earlier this year - the heat at the end of last summer caused an increase in prey that experts suspect led to an increase in spider babies surviving to adulthood.

Oh and don't think summer storms will help - that will just bring them into your home.

With record-breaking temperatures expected for this summer, I guess all we can say is good luck out there.

Here's some footage of that gecko-eating spider. I have a feeling this isn't going to be the last appalling thing we see a huntsman do in 2016:

[video][/video]
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have seen a very similar and probably related species in Hong Kong. It isn't nearly as huge as that one though.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The only thing close here is garden spiders, they get quite large.
We have some Wolf Spiders the size of silver dollars, and we had a large quantity of house spiders that cocooned our garage one year till I killed them off. I brought them in with some stuff when i moved my brother from his house. :facepalm:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Canada is lucky also to not have much in the way of venomous creatures. We have very rare rattlers and black widows. Our rattlers aren't that venomous either.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We have both of those, and nasty ones. We even have a little glow in the dark scorpion.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

It is so cool seeing these prehistoric critters. It is a like a time capsule.

This Year in Ancient Amber: Prehistoric Feathers, Mushrooms, Lizards and More
It’s no Jurassic Park, but this treasure trove of new creatures will still transport you to an ancient world

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 180961579/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I would have loved to see what they found gathering for the Amber room in Russia, the Bulkins is full of Amber where it washes up.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

That redback spider is one scary spider. i believe that it has killed a lot of people too.

Snake Caught in Web Battles Redback Spider

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/snake-caught- ... 17634.html
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Strong web, that snake really put it to the test.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I believe it is that highly poisonous spider too.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It looks like one of those, like the black widow but bigger.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

a lot bigger a lot more aggressive and a lot more poisonous too.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Bugs

[video][/video]
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bugs

Those spiders are quite common though I doubt too many people have heard of them. I like spiders because they kill my enemy the mosquito. Insects have never managed to invade the salt water but I believe their are also huge salt water spiders as well.