Maneaters

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Maneaters

You never know, they might have found the guy dead. Wolves usually stay away from man.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

These large coyotes I suspect are dog coyote hybrids. Coyotes aren't big enough and are too afraid of man. The dog genes take away that fear and in this case if I am correct gave them more size. These dog coyote cross attacks on humans is an increasing phenomenom.

Man and dogs swarmed by pack of possible coyotes in Winnipeg park 7/15

cbc.ca CBC News
1 day ago
SHARE TWEET EMAIL 
Trump was right about debate mic
Some are calling this yacht the Tesla of speedboatsThere's been another possible coyote sighting at a popular off-leash Winnipeg dog park.

Winnipeg police say a man was walking two large dogs Friday evening around 9:30 p.m. in Kilcona Park when he was circled by what looked like three large coyotes.

The animals followed the man until he was able to get to his vehicle, but they didn't stop there. They continued to follow the vehicle until he left the park area, police said in a news release Saturday.

Police say they are aware of a number of recent coyote sightings in the Kilcona Park area.

They are warning dog owners to keep their pets on a leash and pick up small dogs if they are confronted.

Police are asking the public to call them if they encounter coyotes or other dangerous wildlife at either 204-986-6222 if the situation is not an emergency or by calling 911 if they are at immediate risk.

Police say conservation officers have been advised.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ma ... ailsignout
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

If they have numbers they will attack people even without mixing with dogs.
It may sound bad, but if they are attacking people they need hunted since there is many more around.
Kids, pets, and other small animals are especially at risk, men also.

Your right though, if bigger than normal they are likely mixed, and a bigger danger.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Are wolves changing ? I have heard that wolves have never attacked people. Is this wolf a hybrid ? Perhaps this wolf is just an oddity. This I believe is another reason to carry a shotgun or at least bear spray when hiking.

Canmore man attacked by wolf after he takes shortcut through forest

CANMORE — Andrew Morgan doesn’t want to be the boy who cried wolf, but he thinks people should know about his encounter with what he believes was one of the animals in the woods near Canmore.

Around 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 8, the 26-year old dozed off on the bus ride home to Canmore after working back-to-back shifts at his two jobs in Banff.

He missed his stop.

When he got roused from sleep by the bus driver, he immediately got off the bus and started walking home.

“I took what I thought was a shortcut up the mountainside,” recalled Morgan, noting he was walking on a path above Harvie Heights when he heard some rustling behind him.

“At first I thought it was a rabbit. Then I heard a branch break and heard snarling and looked behind me and saw a canine-shaped animal.

“I didn’t know if it was a coyote, husky or a wolf but it was fairly big. I am 6-foot-1, so it must have stood about three feet tall. I don’t believe that is a coyote or a husky. They don’t get that big.”

The animal, which he described as having a grey overcoat with white undertones, snarled at him again.

Then it lunged at him.

“I just turned in the opposite direction and ran,” said Morgan. “After a few minutes of being followed on the trail, I tried to lose it. I went off the trail and, after a little bit of going through the trees, I tripped and the wolf proceeded to take the chance to chew on my right ankle.”

He tried to hit it with his left arm, but it then clamped down on the sleeve of his wool suit jacket.

“I was searching for any way to get out of the situation,” he said. “I picked up a tree branch that was in arm’s reach of my right arm and proceeded to hit it multiple times until it let go of me — at which point I got up and proceeded to run in the opposite direction.”

He climbed over a barbed-wire fence, fell a few times, getting scrapes and bruises, and finally found his way out of the forest near the Holiday Inn in Canmore.

“By the time I made it back to my apartment, it was about 11 p.m.,” he said, noting he immediately checked online how quickly he needed to get a rabies shot.

The next morning, Morgan went to the hospital to get checked over and reported the incident to conservation officers with Alberta Environment and Parks.

Officials confirmed the report, but said they couldn’t determine whether it was definitely a wolf attack.

“Our conservation officers were able to get in contact with the individual the following day and interview him about the incident and occurrence,” said Tim Chamberlin, a spokesman for Alberta Parks. “They were unable to substantiate what type of wildlife encounter it was.

“During the interview, the individual had referenced the term Husky, which led our conservation officers to believe that it might have been a canine encounter.”

Chamberlin said there have not been any other reports of conflict in the area — although GPS data from Banff National Park shows that at least one wolf pack, the Fairholme pack, uses the area on that side of Canmore.

Morgan said the more research he does, the more certain he is that it was a wolf.

“I am definitely sure that it was a wolf that I saw,” he said, noting he’s still nursing some bruises and cuts from trying to get away. “It was lucky that I got out of there.

“It was definitely a terrifying experience.”

Although he realizes wolves are part of living in the Bow Valley, he’s concerned that no one ever put out a warning about the incident that happened more than a month ago.

“They told me to be mindful of who I tell because they didn’t want to cause hysteria,” said Morgan.

If you encounter a wolf, officials recommend showing the wolf you aren’t easy prey by making yourself look big and waving your arms over your head. They also suggest making noise, throwing sticks or other objects and then backing away slowly.

cderworiz@postmedia.com

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ca ... ailsignout
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Wolves can, and will attack man if they are injured, or starving, it's not common though.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

To my knowledge there has never been a case of a wolf becoming a man eater. They have been known to stalk people If they feel threatened and scavage around camp sites when food is scarce or if they are old or injured. They can also be very friendly as far as wild carnivores go. IMHO, seeing a wolf in the wild is a privilege.

The truth is, feral dogs and the Eastern coyote (which basically a mixture of wolf and coy dog) is more dangerous to people than the North American grey wolf. They are know to run in packs and will, if given the chance, attack injure and kill people, livestock and pets
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The attacks are very very rare, there is usually a reason like people being friendly with them, or like the ones I mentioned before.
I'm not sure, but I think maybe two attacks the last hundred years, maybe three on the record. that's very uncommon.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Maneaters

That source is extremely suspect. In reality it is highly unlikely that you will be attacked by a wolf even if you live in areas where they are concentrated. Many more people are killed or attacked by pet dogs than wolves each year. You have a higher chance of running out of toilet paper in a public restroom than being attacked by a freaking wolf. :laugh:

Secondly, the records kept in Europe pre 19th century are most likely bullshit. Europe was in the grip of "wolf hysteria" going all the way back to the dark ages. No one really knows how many attacks by wolves occurred on either continent before the 20th century. Fuck, before the 19th century some people in Europe and America still believed in attacks by vampires and witches. Hell, up until the late 19th century the average person in Western society believed that you would "catch your death" if you bathed more than once a week. In fact to this day, in some places on this freaking globe, people actually believe that there are attacks and deaths caused by fucking Yetis. :laugh:

The truth is, if wolf attacks are increasing, it's because we humans have fucked up the natural order of things, mostly because of our greed and ignorance. It is inevitable that when humans come in close contact with wild animals, there are going to be consequences. Because we have upset the natural relationship of predator and prey, one side or the other will suffer. People need to get over it and stop demonizing animals for being animals.

All I can say to this is, if you get a chance to see a wolf in the wild, remember it always and cherish the memory and if you are unlikely enough to get eaten by a wolf.....tough shit. :laugh: Because in the grand scheme of things, the happening would be so rare that MAYBE.....just maybe, you were meant to go out that way. :laugh:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Most likely someone was at fault if the wolf attacked them, they usually are timid, and stay away from people.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Maneaters

Blue Frost wrote: Most likely someone was at fault if the wolf attacked them, they usually are timid, and stay away from people.
I love wolves. I got to meet one at an animal sanctuary up close and personal where a seminar on wolves was being held years ago.

I've also been peed upon by a white rhino (not to be confused with the GOP kind) :think:......well, maybe, sometimes you can't really tell. :unsure: :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My sister had a wolf hybrid, she was a huge one, and really didn't look mixed at all. I had to wonder if it was a hybrid.
it was timid, and didn't care to be around people.

GOP Rhino's :wacko: not really a real thing, they are just free voting democrats playing on conservatives dumb enough to keep voting for them.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Maneaters

Blue Frost wrote: My sister had a wolf hybrid, she was a huge one, and really didn't look mixed at all. I had to wonder if it was a hybrid.
it was timid, and didn't care to be around people.

GOP Rhino's :wacko: not really a real thing, they are just free voting democrats playing on conservatives dumb enough to keep voting for them.
Visually they are very similar. You usually can tell a wolf/dog hybrid because they can bark. Wolves don't bark.

Wolf/dog hybrids also don't make very good pets. They are difficult to train. They can be defiant, aggressive and unpredictable toward people, other animals and even their owners. Then again they can be perfectly fine, well mannered and safe to be around. You just never know. As much as I adore wolves and Spitz breed dogs, I would be very hesitant to own one.

As for Rhinos, the GOP kind usually doesn't pee that much. They generally just sling a lot of bullshit. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think hers didn't bark, it was more like our huskies in that manner howling out sounds.
I never could get close to it, it didn't want that, and I wouldn't force myself.
I think they ended up giving it to an Indian friend.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Maneaters

Blue Frost wrote: I think hers didn't bark, it was more like our huskies in that manner howling out sounds.
I never could get close to it, it didn't want that, and I wouldn't force myself.
I think they ended up giving it to an Indian friend.
You did right by not forcing the situation. Even a domestic dog that is human shy or neurotic can be unpredictable and will easily panic bite.

Most wolf/dog hybrids will bark on occasion. Like huskies and malamutes they usually whine, howl or yodel but barking is a dog trait. Both domestic and wild dogs do it and it has a wide range of emotions attached to it, joy, excitement, aggression, etc. I don't think any other canine uses a bark for vocalizations like a dog. Wolves are known to bark but only under rare occasions and in specific situations. Most other canines only bark as a warning. The fox, the coyote or the jackal don't really bark; they yip, scream or howl although they call it barking. It's generally a long, drawn out, high pitched, sound, and is not easily mistaken for that of a dog.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I don't recall my huskies ever barking, a low groaning sound, but never a bark.
I love dogs, and wolves myself, but forcing yourself on one trying to pet it is a no no, good way to be bitten, or make the dog pee on the floor.

The wolf hybrid my sister had I don't think barked, but it might have at some point that I know nothing of. It did look full stock, and maybe was since they came about it in means not told but some sketchy people.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Maneaters

Blue Frost wrote: I don't recall my huskies ever barking, a low groaning sound, but never a bark.
I love dogs, and wolves myself, but forcing yourself on one trying to pet it is a no no, good way to be bitten, or make the dog pee on the floor.

The wolf hybrid my sister had I don't think barked, but it might have at some point that I know nothing of. It did look full stock, and maybe was since they came about it in means not told but some sketchy people.
Personally I never understood the need for a wolf Hybrid. The Malamute and the Siberian are about as close to a wolf as you can get without the behavioral issues that come along with a wild animal as a pet.

If you want a guard dog, or a sled dog, there are much better choices out there. Same for a companion dog, much better choices available.

I currently have four dogs. I added a new one to the group a week ago. It's a 3 year old Eurasier that an elderly couple could no longer keep. I found him in a local no kill shelter that I donate food to regularly. He looked at me with that heartbroken abandoned dog look on his face and I instantly wanted him. He a really nice dog, even tempered, smart, AND housebroken. :thumbsup: The rest of the pack are getting used to him and he seems to be getting on with them pretty well. He likes kids, especially my little one.

So we'll see how it goes. So now I have 4 frickin dogs. :wacko: I always said that I was going to end up as a crazy hermit with like 30 dogs and when I die, the dogs will eat me and no one will know where I went. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

If not for the expense I would have a few dogs myself, but after the huskies died it's been so hard to even think about getting one.
They are like kids a lot, and become a part of the family if you really care about them, and for me dogs just seem to want to be around me so we get close.
When I was working I was about to buy this nice place, and i would have had a lot of dogs, but that fell threw thanks to my injuries.

It's nice to here people saving dogs from the no kills, and rescues, it's better than supporting a shop, or breeders that sometimes breeds the dogs to death.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This kid is a luckly one. Check out the graph and video. Getting killed by a croc must be a terrible way to go. I imagine that the power of the crocs bite is so powerful that once they clamp their jaws on someone that person knows that he/she has no chance.

Australian teenager mauled after jumping into crocodile-infested river for a dare

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/australian-te ... 16458.html
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Just like the one here jumping in with the sharks, but not as lucky, both are idiots.