webhosts discussions - what's best what sucks

No votes

Total votes: 0

Blue Frost

Re: webhosts discussions - what's best what sucks

Unread post by Blue Frost »

Well you can always use it for testing mods and stuff, I would keep it a while.
Use it for storage or backups even.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

i don't trust them, that's the problem:) i moved all my stuff and changed all my passwords as soon as i moved. when somebody operates their business by being a crook, where do they draw the line:).. anyway, it's done now.. next thing that would be nice is to find a model which earns money and then maybe in time be able to afford a designated server:)).. but i'm not holding my breath blue:).. it's just a daydream of mine.

Blue Frost

Well at least it's one less worry now, and you can move on.
Yeah more money to get the better servers, that would be great, I hope you get there.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

thanks blue:)). do you know twitter still haven't found a way to monetize so - don't think we'll be on designated servers before next life, if then!:)).. that's ok tho, this is good too:)

Blue Frost

I had a good experience with my server today, the site was down for an hour, but the tech fixed it for me.
I went to rebuild the search, and it crashed the site, he made a new user in the configphp and corrected the issue.

I guess no search rebuilding though in the future.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

hmm.. what kind of search do you use? i had much more resources used when i was using full-text native.. full-text mysql search (comes default) is the only one i'm using now and it seem to work ok. maybe switch to that one alone?

Blue Frost

I'm have been using full-text mysql search for the last few months, it's much smaller, and uses less recourse.
I wanted to see if native would work now, so I tried rebuilding it with a bad effect.
Ill leave it alone now, Ill keep what I have. :)
Mine was set to native by default.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

i think these guys are pretty good but pricey - that's if you ever consider switching to a professional forum software.

http://www.urljet.com/vbulletin-hosting.php

Blue Frost

Ouch that's a lot to have a forum for me, i don't make anything off mine. I think that's more for someone with a lot of people, and one with adds to help pay.
I wish I could afford a better server like that.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

i wish that too, blue.. the ads amounted to about 500 dollars last year for the whole year so i wouldn't be able to pay that either (their designated server hosting i mean) - and paying more for shared forum hosting would be just silly but it would work for people who want a professional and not open source forum software and they don't want to worry about hosting, maintenance, upgrades, etc.

Blue Frost

You know you need a product line, and a part of the forum to sell stuff.
You don't even need merchandise on hand really the way stuff is marketed now days.
maybe a little auction or something also where you get a percentage.
You would get more traffic on the forum, as well as sales revenue.
I don't know how all that works, but there is money to be made like that.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

yes, there is!! i was considering that a while ago but then i realized that i don't believe in - shopping, for lack of a better word. to promote or do something on your site you would have to truly enjoy it and be willing to do it for free (one of the reason the old dv was so successful was that its old admins loved to post there) - and adding a shopping cart to a site i'd do just to make money really, wouldn't enjoy it one bit:).. so i'd much rather simply add more forums to the bee and that way maybe become open for more ads revenue.. for now anyway. btw, that's not to say that that's not a route for others to take - if somebody truly enjoys finding deals and shopping they'd make both good revenue and a good community around it - like red flag deals forums for example.

also, google ads are small change, there's more money to be made in affiliate marketing - adding banners of amazon, ebay, expedia and others - that would make a bit more money than google ads but i just can't get myself to look into it. maybe in near future.

GuardianFlash

Unread post by GuardianFlash »

I just installed a new style theme. The quick reply box is gone. How do I install a quick reply box?

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

looove the new style! it's too pretty:)

however, i would strongly suggest two things - crop the header image to make it half the height if poss and make it clickable to that wherever people click on the header it takes them to the main forum page.

now quick reply - acp > general > post settings > Allow quick reply: This switch allows for the quick reply to be disabled board-wide. When enabled, forum specific settings will be used to determine whether the quick reply is displayed in individual forums. - click submit and enable QR in all forums.

that way you'll have the button for QR but if you want the box you need to mod a little - very little but it's worth it - this is what to do: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/display ... prosilver/ and this for subsilver2 (which is your style) http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2096824

hope this helps GF!

Blue Frost

I like the header, but not the style really, it's confined feeling.
It would be a lot of trouble, and script manipulation to add it to another skin, but I would change it around a bit.
It's defiantly Vancouver, or at least the feel I get with all the photos I see of it. :)