webhosts discussions - what's best what sucks

No votes

Total votes: 0

GuardianFlash

Re: webhosts discussions - what's best what sucks

Unread post by GuardianFlash »

It doesn't work. This new theme is different. Need to find another style. Can't even chaneg the white background to another color. The inbox font is even in another language.

Is the vancouver forum using prosilver?

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

It's defiantly Vancouver, or at least the feel I get with all the photos I see of it. :)
oh agreed - it is very vancouver. i am just too practical when it comes to skins, function comes first then the looks:))

yes gf - van forum is using a prosilver based skin but we have a subsilver2 too.

this one is prosilver based also.

i like subsilver skins better but there are just most prosilver skins out there to choose from.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

i was browsing skins the other day and this one seems really nice and professionally done. http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/quasar/demo/

GuardianFlash

andy1 how do I change the font color and the background color?

I want it to look more like this
gap.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

hey! to change what background color? stick an arrow to it so i know which one you mean. and font - i always have to try out a few before i find it:) - but just open up the theme for the style in your ACP and look for the color that font or background is now (you can quickly check the font color using the digitalcolor meter which is in your mac's utilities) and once you find it - that's the font color you'd want to change to whatever color you had in mind.

those borders are images so you'd need to change those images to change the border colors - i find that changing stuff around can amount to a lot of work and it often ends up looking a bit - bastardized.

i'd go for artodia colorizeit instead of the one you have now - it's very gentle on the eyes and a bit plain jane but not boring so you maybe won't have to change any colors.. http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... zeit/demo/

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

the only thing i don't like in colorize it is how it moves the header bar when you click it - bloody annoying:)) i'd only get rid of that and the rest is really lovely..

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

a question for sid - who's hosting you and are you happy with them?

GuardianFlash

Andy1 do you want my hosting account? It's with stablehost and only $10 a year. Renewal date is coming up on the 25th and I'm gonna give it up.

sidv220

Unread post by sidv220 »

GuardianFlash wrote:Andy1 do you want my hosting account? It's with stablehost and only $10 a year. Renewal date is coming up on the 25th and I'm gonna give it up.
Why not go to 2freehosting.com. It is absolutely free with no ads. I have 5 personal webhosting accounts on it. If you need your own domain name then you can buy it through them, or somewhere else, and point to 2freehosting.com. You get 20 GB of space and 100 GB of bandwidth, which is enough for 300-500 visitors per day, and 20 GB space is more then enough for most web sites. Usually you pay $5-10/month for the features they provide with account.

Blue Frost

Unread post by Blue Frost »

I had an account like that, but with nobody using it it was closed .
good also because it had phpbb already set up at a few clicks, and they did all the updating . I forget the website, but it was nice for a backup.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

GuardianFlash wrote:Andy1 do you want my hosting account? It's with stablehost and only $10 a year. Renewal date is coming up on the 25th and I'm gonna give it up.
thank you GF!! but i am pretty happy with my host for now and somewhat fearful of change lol:(

but thanks for the offer. maybe somebody else will be able to use it:)

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

sidv220 wrote:
Why not go to 2freehosting.com. It is absolutely free with no ads. I have 5 personal webhosting accounts on it. If you need your own domain name then you can buy it through them, or somewhere else, and point to 2freehosting.com. You get 20 GB of space and 100 GB of bandwidth, which is enough for 300-500 visitors per day, and 20 GB space is more then enough for most web sites. Usually you pay $5-10/month for the features they provide with account.
how many simultaneous connections to a database do they allow - i'd be interested in finding that out about any shared host.

sidv220

Unread post by sidv220 »

There is no restriction on simultaneous connection to database. I am running Wordpress on all my accounts, which requires multiple connections to SQL database. Here is a link to one of the account. http://webdesign.twomini.com and other one is http://www.bostondesiconnection.com.

The only limit is 1500 GB bandwidth per month, which is enough for 300-500 visitors per day, as long as you are running is a huge file download/upload server, which can consume your bandwidth limit much sooner.

andy1 wrote:
sidv220 wrote:
how many simultaneous connections to a database do they allow - i'd be interested in finding that out about any shared host.

Blue Frost

Unread post by Blue Frost »

WOW, very nice websites, especially the second one Sid.

sidv220

Unread post by sidv220 »

Thanks, Blue Frost.