Total votes: 0

andy1

update to 3.0.9 done

Unread post by andy1 »

finally! nice to get it over with. :sorcerer:

Blue Frost

Re: update to 3.0.9 done

Unread post by Blue Frost »

Yeah :) have any issues ? I had a few with .Bac files that needed deleted out, they cause some issues with lagging.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

no, nothing that i can see from here anyway:))

still haven't done the other forum, maybe tonight - can't get the chunk of time long enough to be able to start and finish in one go..

where are you finding .Bac files blue?

Blue Frost

Oh the .bac , they are in the Cache folder, include, and a few other places they shouldn't have been.
I had many more last time I updated, 100 maybe I deleted out.
It stopped a lot of errors making the Forum hang.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

oh yes! blue, i'm pretty sure you don't even have to go to the cache folder, you should be able to empty cache from ACP (under general tab, underneath those "reset forum start date" and the like buttons). every time i change something in the skin etc. let alone update i tend to empty cache as well. didn't notice that it changes the speed but i do it cuz i think it's good practice.

Blue Frost

The cache had backups or .bac files in it, they wouldn't delete in the ACP
The whole root folder had a lot of them in it causing conflicts in the SQL it seemed.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

weird!.. i've never seen that.. come to think of it i have a weird group of files scattered everywhere in the root and almost every folder and style, only i never delete them.. actually i did try to delete them but didn't notice that made any difference in forums performance. only my files are not .bac they are .macx so i thought they are just some garbage files that come from your computer when you upload files from them. that said, i never have more than one of those files per folder and in root - so consecutive uploads don't add any new ones. i just remember that original instal didn't introduce any - or at least it seems that way.

Blue Frost

I don't think I have that file, maybe it's something to do with the server or different software.
The only reason I noticed them was the server person mentioned double files may be causing the issue from transferring over to them. I found many after looking and my issue went away after deleting the files.
Now I still have optimization issues in the SQL and a lag at the hour mark, but I know noting about optimizing.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

ugh.. my host has something that does that (fixes the database tables?) under cpanel so i don't have to go into phpmyadmin.. if that makes sense:) happy tuesday blue!:)

Blue Frost

I just need to learn the sql stuff, it's really bugging me having to go in all the time and check the files.
The issue is is that at 12:00 my time, 9:00 yours the forum will lock up and give an sql error if I don't go in before and optimize the files manually for about 7 minutes. It also lags on the hour a few seconds, and it's just a bother.
If I can optimize it in the sql main section somehow by the right settings or size it wouldn't happen.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

blue i hope you figured it out. i wish i could help you but i'm hopeless when it comes to mysql. i only know how to perform the simplest queries and the rest i don't dare touch.

been five days since i've been here but it feels like it's been forever. and i still haven't updated the other forum:)..

Blue Frost

I tried to work and figure out the sql stuff but it's beyond what I know, and I don't want to take chances with it like I can the main files.
If I could find good instructions I can comprehend would help.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

still haven't done it. i am officially the biggest procrastinator of the forum world lol:(

prob is when ever i think i wanna do it somebody is online talking and i don't wanna interrupt their convo.. which is stupid cuz i can be done in less than half an hour lol:(..

blue, about the sql stuff - i was wondering if you tried asking question at the phpBB main forum, wonder if they could explain in enough detail what you need to do. maybe worth a try? that forum is always where i turn to when i have a prob.

Blue Frost

No I never asked there but I looked in some topics and it just made it more scary and confusing.
It's the same with all that's PHPBB, make it look daunting and cryptic with no simple answers.

Hey on your update just give them on the forum a time for the update and they will understand.
You have a lot of good people there.

andy1

Unread post by andy1 »

true:)) was thinking that too but then what if during that time baby's crying or something else is up and i can't finish or even start as planned:) ugh.. will do it hopefully quickly w/out much announcing and s-o-o-n!:)