just a little perspective....

Reel

Re: just a little perspective....

Unread post by Reel »

Also, stability.

Being a ship designer, I have a vested interest in stability. Buoyancy causes a ship to float. Buoyancy + gravity causes a ship to float upright. If ships do not float upright, many people die. Stability is a function of the difference between a ship's center of buoyancy and a ship's center of gravity. The location of each and the distance between the two is critically important to people not dying. It would be unfortunate if my ships caused many people to die.

It's easy to judge because it's so hard to understand.
asal

Unread post by asal »

:D

Get in on it.
Reel

Unread post by Reel »

Also, submarines.

I always wanted to be a submarine designer, not a simple ship designer. Sadly, the market for submarines is quite small unless you want to design implements of mass destruction, which I do not. That said, I learned a lot about them due to this vested interest. Submarines depend on the balance between gravity and buoyancy to ballast down or rise to the surface. Taking on water ballast decreases the buoyant force, causing gravity and buoyancy to become out of balance and the submarine to sink until the buoyant force once again balances the gravitational force. To rise again, the submarine pumps out ballast water, increasing the buoyant force beyond the gravitational force and causing the submarine to rise. If buoyancy was the only force (ie. gravity did not exist), submarines would just hang out at the same spot until god dumped a big bag of salt in the ocean, or they ran out of air and everyone onboard died.

I would not want to design submarines if the inevitable outcome was that everyone onboard died. I would feel bad about that.

Reel

Unread post by Reel »

I like the vacuum one. That one is fun.

What happens if you apply a vacuum with the exact same force to the other side of the object? Can you still lift it? Why doesn't the object pull apart and one half go with one vacuum and the other half go with the other vacuum? What if you applied the same vacuum all around the entire object? Would it break into billions of tiny pieces and fly off into the all around vacuum? Why not?

So many questions that need answering.

asal

Unread post by asal »

mos def.

Get in on it.
Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

Reel wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 16:11 I like the vacuum one. That one is fun.

What happens if you apply a vacuum with the exact same force to the other side of the object? Can you still lift it? Why doesn't the object pull apart and one half go with one vacuum and the other half go with the other vacuum? What if you applied the same vacuum all around the entire object? Would it break into billions of tiny pieces and fly off into the all around vacuum? Why not?

So many questions that need answering.
Are you familiar with Sailboats?

Semen
Reel

Unread post by Reel »

Seamajor wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 08:42 Are you familiar with Sailboats?
Moderately.

Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

I adore them and how they function. Especially heavy cruising sailboats.

Semen
Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

So this radio show I listen to in the morning, has an episode called "2nd date update", and its usually funny. They have one person on the phone who didnt get the call back, then they call the other person up, while the one that didnt get the call back stays quiet on the line. Today, the one that didnt call back, said it was because he was a flat earther :D

Poor guy even got railroaded by the DJs.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

Its true!!!

:D

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.