R.I.P. Dudley Lock Canada

Register accountRead the forum rules
runs with scissors

Unread post by runs with scissors »

I predicted this here on the forum just a few months ago. Went to Canadian Tire today, and found that Dudley combination locks are now made in China. Due to their employees piss poor job at rotating stock, there were still some Canadian made ones on the back of the hook. I purchased one and will leave it in the packaging to add to my collection of "Made in Canada" as a reminder to future generations that at one point we could manufacture things here.

I knew that when Master Lock bought out this company a while back its fate was doomed. Master Lock is notorious for closing down every US plant and moving all production to Mexico and China.

This may not seem like a big deal, but these business moves are made every day and many people are not aware of them, or they just don't care. North America has a slumped economy that isn't picking up. Too much unemployment and underemployment, and yet even Harvard grads are somehow not able to address or tackle the root of this problem.

These locks did not go down in price. They cost the consumer exactly the same as they did. So who is actually benefiting from this move? I'm sure Canadian Tire and Master Lock are benefiting. China is benefiting also. How does this benefit Canada as a whole? It doesn't.

And then there's people that claim we just cannot afford "Made in Canada?" It's a five dollar fucking lock that should last a lifetime.

Of course, this is just one example of many that I see on a regular basis.

What The Duce!

Re: R.I.P. Dudley Lock Canada

Unread post by What The Duce! »

its an easy fix if the fucking govts gave a shit, increase tariffs on goods from outside natfa by 100% and while we are at it kick mexico out of nafta and jack tariffs up on them too and fuck up all the companies that closed factories here to open them there

Disclaimer: This comment is for entertainment purposes only. The author does not necessarily condone or endorse its content and as such cannot be held criminally or civilly liable for said comment in any way. 2008 The Duce Corp.
GT29

Unread post by GT29 »

Standard issue lock for millions of high school lockers I still have of them kicking around somewhere

me

Unread post by me »

So they're American ?

Or just founded by an American. ?

runs with scissors

My next prediction is that the locally designed and manufactured "Picquik" brand of screwdrivers will move production to China. I'm surprised they've held out as long as they have.

bleu

Unread post by bleu »

my made in china mac works pretty good:)

runs with scissors

bleu wrote:my made in china mac works pretty good:)
That's fine, but just don't fail to see the importance of this post.

And just so ya know, Apple has one of the worst records of them all when it comes to exploitation of Chinese workers...

runs with scissors

I bought some RAM the other day. The most expensive shit was made in Taiwan. The next level down was made in China. The cheapest shit was made in, wait for it... The United States of America.

No fucking joke.

What The Duce!

Unread post by What The Duce! »

If I ran Canada I would tariff the shit out of everything not from the US or white europe. This would get Canadian companies making stuff. We dont need half of what we have in our houses so I would not care if the price of stuff went up alot.

Disclaimer: This comment is for entertainment purposes only. The author does not necessarily condone or endorse its content and as such cannot be held criminally or civilly liable for said comment in any way. 2008 The Duce Corp.