I’ve discovered recently that ‘Redneck doesn’t necessarily mean ‘Racist’

Register accountRead the forum rules
J0E

I’ve discovered recently that ‘Redneck doesn’t necessarily mean ‘Racist’

Unread post by J0E »

They’re just....Redneck!

That’s all.

A noticeable trait of rednecks is that when you aren’t part of their exclusive group/club they let you know that you aren’t one of them.

So that’s not so much racist but exclusionary.

Even Hillary Clinton, a totally White WASPish woman who lived in the South for several years, couldn’t crack ‘the Redneck Club’. She was never considered ‘one of them’.

Blurt

Re: I’ve discovered recently that ‘Redneck doesn’t necessarily mean ‘Racist’

Unread post by Blurt »

How about you "discover" what it's like to dance blindfolded in a live minefield, you prattling anus?

evs

Unread post by evs »

:D

Jojo is discovering what some words he used before mean. If anything’s threadworthy today - this is it.

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Blurt wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 08:57 How about you "discover" what it's like to dance blindfolded in a live minefield, you prattling anus?
Have you been hanging around with Dinky D ? =))

9 incher/160 IQ

Unread post by 9 incher/160 IQ »

Pinch poke, you owe me a coke.

Fuc# 0ff.
Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

No shit Joe. I'm betting you view ALL white southerners as rednecks. It is my experience that many southern whites have a greater understanding of (and appreciation for) the black community than do northern whites.

I'm sure Hillary attempted to make the correct noises when living in Arkansas, but treated ALL of billy-Bob's constituents with contempt. Yale or fuck-all.

J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Lochdubh wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 12:13 No shit Joe. I'm betting you view ALL white southerners as rednecks. It is my experience that many southern whites have a greater understanding of (and appreciation for) the black community than do northern whites.

I'm sure Hillary attempted to make the correct noises when living in Arkansas, but treated ALL of billy-Bob's constituents with contempt. Yale or fuck-all.
....but she tried ‘dubh.

Btw since yer here, can you talk Irina & mimi into attending their first meeting of the local BC chapter of ... the Obedient Wives Club.?

I’ve signed them up.

Now all they need ta do is attend

Lochdubh

J0E wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 12:24
Lochdubh wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 12:13 No shit Joe. I'm betting you view ALL white southerners as rednecks. It is my experience that many southern whites have a greater understanding of (and appreciation for) the black community than do northern whites.

....but she tried ‘dubh.

Btw since yer here, can you talk Irina & mimi into attending their first meeting of the local BC chapter of ... the Obedient Wives Club.?

I’ve signed them up.

Now all they need ta do is attend
I'll tell them......but ONLY once.

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

mimi wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 11:41 Have you been hanging around with Dinky D ? =))
I have.

But she'll deny it. :tongue:

soon

Unread post by soon »

i really think joe is gone. i haven't seen him post since friday.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

He's posted both yesterday and today. But I agree....he's 'gone' alright. :(

Odinson

Unread post by Odinson »

I thought a redneck meant over-weight american truckdrivers..

Their necks are red because of high blood pressure.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

I think the bottom line is...the definition of redneck is 'regional'...or 'geographical'. (not sure of the right word I'm looking for :blush: )
But what it means in one area, is different than in another....and each would be correct...for that area even though it would be contradictory to another area's definition.

Odinson

Unread post by Odinson »

The first redneck I met...

I thought he was a non-english speaker like me.

Markus

Unread post by Markus »

One gets a red neck from plowing the fields and working the farm all day long... usually starts around the age of 4.

NO FLESH SHALL BE SPARED
Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

Rednecks and bluebloods of the Blackfeet tribe have green thumbs.

cc

Unread post by cc »

mimi wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 19:22 I think the bottom line is...the definition of redneck is 'regional'...or 'geographical'. (not sure of the right word I'm looking for :blush: )
But what it means in one area, is different than in another....and each would be correct...for that area even though it would be contradictory to another area's definition.
Yup. To Alabamians it's a model citizen

To uppity Seattle-elites, a racist low IQ deplorable

deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

cc wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 09:04Yup. To Alabamians it's a model citizen
i suppose it depends on the area.... but i'm deep south and although rednecks are abundant here, they are not welcome here.... to most ppl, they are the equivalent of trailer trash.... and as for rednecks being racist, its like fire and smoke.... separate definitions but where you see one you're bound to find the other.... and if you're curious, i'm a hillbilly.... and yes. that is actually much better than a redneck.... :D

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Lochdubh

^I'd have guessed peckerwood. :unsure:

deadskinmask

Lochdubh wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 09:35 ^I'd have guessed peckerwood. :unsure:
lmmfao.... only really old ppl even use that term here.... :D

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

Time for some schooling. The term Redneck came from around 100 years ago in West Virginia. Workers were fed up with working conditions, united wearing a red bandanna, and took up arms. Original Rednecks were not racist at all, and quite the opposite, as they swore an oath not to be racist against each other.

Today, Redneck means many things. To one person it might mean good ol' boy, to another it might mean "workin' in the sun all day" like Markus said. Then you have others, that have bastardized the name, and look at themselves as rowdy racists to a degree. Just like they bastardized the Confederate Flag.

At one time, Redneck and the Confederate flag really meant something. THEY dont like people unifying like that, so of course THEY try and say how bad they are, and want to remove "reminders" (statues), of what was once fought over. THEY even go so far as to change the story, and say the war was all over slavery, which is horse shit, since a lot of blacks fought in that war too. The truth needs to be known, Lincoln ordered total war, and invaded the South, raping women, killing children, and burning and plundering as they went, all because the North didnt want to lose out on all that money the South made them through high ass taxes and such.

Here ya go, heres a lil copy/paste I found off google for y'all...

To call someone a “redneck” now divides us, when the term was created to unite us. And this distortion only benefits rednecks’ original enemies – corrupt politicians and big companies who don’t care about a multiracial alliance of hardworking Americans.

In West Virginia, the term “redneck” dates back to the early 1900s, a time when mineworkers faced the constant threat of death – from explosions, cave-ins and poor working conditions. A West Virginian enlisted in the armed forces during the first world war was less likely to die than one working in a coalmine.

In 1921, black, white and immigrant mineworkers took up arms to battle the coal companies that controlled and exploited every aspect of their lives. United, they wore red bandannas to identify each other in battle. They called themselves the “Redneck Army”.

The West Virginia mine wars were the bloodiest labor conflict in American history. Culminating in the Battle of Blair Mountain in 1921, more than 10,000 miners marched from the Kanawha valley toward Mingo to join other striking miners in protest. In their way stood the Logan county sheriff, Don Chafin, who was in the pocket of big coal – a $32,000 payoff each year, roughly $400,000 in today’s dollars.

Chafin commanded a private army of more than 2,000 mercenaries and multiple airplanes equipped to drop bombs on workers. Siding with Chafin and the coal bosses, President Warren G Harding sent federal troops too, armed with gas and more planes (the fourth time that troops had been called in to squash organized miners in the mountain state).

The miners proved what we know today: there is nothing more frightening to a coal boss or corrupt politician than a courageous, united, multi-ethnic coalition of working men and women.

In the coal camps, black people found segregated housing and schools, and lower pay. Operators preferred to break strikes by importing black workers, to sow discord among the races. But by the 1910s, the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) was fighting for pay equality, and requiring an oath from every member not to discriminate against any fellow member by “creed, or color, or nationality”.

Its first paid organizer in West Virginia was a black man. Miners swore an oath to each other, across “class or creed”. An early planning committee consisted of three officers: one white person born in West Virginia, one Italian immigrant and one black person.

One miner remarked: “I call it a darn solid mass of different colors and tribes, blended together, woven together, bound, interlocked, tongued and grooved together in one body.”

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Markus

Unread post by Markus »

So where does Larry the Cable Guy stand in all of this?
Redneck or hillbilly?

Which one of you watches Larry and goes ...yup.

NO FLESH SHALL BE SPARED
deadskinmask

larry would be a redneck. rednecks are the southern equivalent of british chavs.... hillbillies are the equivalent of lorry drivers and construction workers.... the under-appreciated, unsung heroes.... :D

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

For people who've spent their entire lives in New England or the PNW sipping almond milk lattes while discussing English Literature of the Edwardian period, it's hard to tell the difference between Larry the Cable Guy, Joe the Plumber, Oscar the Lumberjack, Skinz the Southern Fry Cook, Scooter the Butcher, and Blazor the Printing Press Operator.

They're so out of touch with the Working Man that y'all sound like rednecks and hillbillies to them.

Thank God for Google.

evs

Unread post by evs »

A rose by any other name. Nothing wrong with working class men of all colours and shapes. Being a member of the working class has absolutely nothing to do with ones proclivity for racism.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Somewhat related.

“All your sorrows have been wasted on you if you have not yet learned how to be wretched,”
- Seneca

~ plaid ~
Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

How about a high tech redneck :D

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

Sorry, Blaze, I can't listen to George Jones.

He has Christian hair.

:D