This is pure insanity.

Register accountRead the forum rules
Seamajor

This is pure insanity.

Unread post by Seamajor »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbend ... vironment/

Maybe someone here can justify another chapter of Trumps on going shit show. Does this demonstration of ignorance really need to take place? No social distancing, no masks required. They even changed the existing city ordinance to allow fire works. This is insane, and yet, it continues, as the United States has another 52000 cases of covid, as of today

mimi

Re: This is pure insanity.

Unread post by mimi »

I wonder how long before he starts making noise about having his likeness added to the quartet. :D

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

"What can burn? It's stone." :D :D :D

I say South Dakota will see a COVID spike. Naturally.

Seamajor

mimi wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 11:10 I wonder how long before he starts making noise about having his likeness added to the quartet. :D
Never happen.

soon

Unread post by soon »

“In the fields and jungles of Vietnam, they delivered a swift and swiffian, It was swift and it was sweeping like nobody’s ever seen happen. A victory in Operation Desert Storm, a lot of you were involved in that. A lot of you were involved. That was a quick one.”

- the real donald

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
Seamajor

Is there anyone here who would sign a medical release to attend a Trump rally?

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

soon wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 19:18
“In the fields and jungles of Vietnam, they delivered a swift and swiffian, It was swift and it was sweeping like nobody’s ever seen happen. A victory in Operation Desert Storm, a lot of you were involved in that. A lot of you were involved. That was a quick one.”

- the real donald
What the hey is a swiffian. A detour ? :confused:

asal

Unread post by asal »

mimi wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:47
soon wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 19:18
What the hey is a swiffian. A detour ? :confused:
I think he meant sweeping.

Get in on it.
Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

Maybe he was thinking of a Swiffer when he came up with that word.

roll me up and smoke me when I die
deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

Scooter wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 09:38Image
off topic but i gotta say those are fuckin handy.... especially the ones with a jet spray attachment.... :(

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

:purdy:
Phil O Bat

Unread post by Phil O Bat »

That's the country we live in. All scientists and doctors are liars. All news is fake. Our God-King is the only person in the whole goddam world who tells the truth. So all recklessness is "freedom" and all cautions are "fear-mongering."

"Fun Fact: Penguins can actually fly

if you throw them hard enough.

Just like children." (Caelan Rondeau) :eviled:
Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

Blurt wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 11:10 "What can burn? It's stone." :D :D :D

I say South Dakota will see a COVID spike. Naturally.
The Taliban sure took care of those giant images of Buddha. :tongue:

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

That was a crime, that was.

In writing the sentence above, I started thinking, and wondering, why I see that act as an outrage but not, say, the destruction of a statue of Robert E. Lee (or Mount Rushmore, for that matter, if it should ever suffer the same fate). Even closer to home, a couple of years ago City Hall removed a statue of John A. MacDonald, Canada's first Prime Minister, from its front steps and that didn't bother me in the least.

I think, but I'm not yet completely sure, that I see the Bamiyan event as a crime against the cultural heritage of humanity because the statues embodied the most noble and lofty aspirations of humanity not conditioned by national borders. Statues that represent universal yearnings for freedom and liberation, whether spiritual or political or even merely civil, show us to ourselves in our best light and stoke our desires to simply be better human beings than we already are (or may be).

Statues glorifying men who believed, for instance, that human beings with darker skin were only three fifths human or that individuals native to continents being "settled" were sub-human, can all crumble into dust, for all I care. Such statues are far from representing the best that we can be.

My slight hesitation in the face of such destruction, though, lies, on the one hand, in the fact that I'm not sure that removing the evidence of our baser tendencies is the best way to remind ourselves that we can, and ought, to do better and, on the other, that judging the past by today's standards is a legitimate enterprise. Context is capital.

But the Bamiyan Buddhas? Damn, that was awful.

Of course, there will come a time, maybe some five hundred years or so into the future, when we'll realize that we simply can't judge the Taliban for that crime as these zealots were simply a product of their time and of their geographical and cultural specificity.

In that case, it can be said that the absence of those Buddhas is what will spur us to do, and to be, better.

But, yeah, my thinking on this is a work in progress.