COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects

Register accountRead the forum rules
evs

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects

Unread post by evs »

COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:

Fatigue
Cough
Shortness of breath
Headache
Joint pain
Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems.

Organ damage caused by COVID-19

Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:

Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.

Other organs affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

Problems with mood and fatigue

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.

Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.

Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.

It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19 recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.
Let’s wash our hands and keep the distance, peeps:(

~ plaid ~
mimi

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects

Unread post by mimi »

It's just the sniffles. :sneaky:

asal

Unread post by asal »

I just want to report that my friend got it in march and said he felt like a fish gasping for air.

Get in on it.
Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

COVID COVID COVID

COVID

COVIDCOVID

That's all you want to talk about. :sneaky:

I guarantee you that nobody will be talking about COVID on November 4th!

asal

Unread post by asal »

Blurt wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 21:49 COVID COVID COVID

COVID

COVIDCOVID

That's all you want to talk about. :sneaky:

I guarantee you that nobody will be talking about COVID on November 4th!
:D covfefe

Get in on it.
Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

:D

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

asal wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 21:40 I just want to report that my friend got it in march and said he felt like a fish gasping for air.
Aww...hope she makes a clean recovery. I know a few people who have had it, and a few who have died from it. None of them are pretty stories. =(

asal

Unread post by asal »

mimi wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 22:11
asal wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 21:40 I just want to report that my friend got it in march and said he felt like a fish gasping for air.
Aww...hope she makes a clean recovery. I know a few people who have had it, and a few who have died from it. None of them are pretty stories. =(
He recovered, but felt like it's still there. I only talked to him about it once so I'm not updated about how he feels now.

Get in on it.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

asal wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 22:14
mimi wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 22:11 Aww...hope she makes a clean recovery. I know a few people who have had it, and a few who have died from it. None of them are pretty stories. =(
He recovered, but felt like it's still there. I only talked to him about it once so I'm not updated about how he feels now.
Ya...that's the lingering damage that the seasonal flus don't leave behind. =(

J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Irina wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 21:13 Let’s wash our hands and keep the distance, peeps:(
It's clearly Bioweapon, evs/Irina.

China's revenge on the West.

Likely for what Trump said to and about them threatening to upend all them cozy trade deals.

"Oh yeah? We'll show you, Big White Orange Man!"

...they shore did! They shore did...

deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

long term effects? lol.... what about the crashed economy? the suicide rate thats tripled? the ppl who had to postpone life-saving surgery and cancer treatments and have subsequently died? lets not even mention the rise in alcoholism and drug addiction.... or the deaths from overdose.... and lets try to forget the extreme spike in domestic abuse and divorce.... lets talk about the deterioration of the already flawed school system.... and the complete disregard for the constitution and the stripping away of our rights.... the government does not ever 'give anything back'.... and for what? a disease with a 99% survival rating.... you fuckin ppl are the worst.... i hope everyone of you get exactly what you fuckin deserve.... :mad:

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

This dear man keeps giving it his all. Hope he receives all the appreciation that he deserves.

deadskinmask

and while we're busy patting you fuckin heroes on the back, lets try not to remember all the weddings, graduations, funerals and baby showers that were cancelled.... you know, those once in a lifetime events that ppl like to look back on later in life.... and lets not think about the surge of unemployment and the utter bankruptcy of all the small businessmen.... or the complete destruction of local farms.... surely that won't have any effect on the food supply.... thank God for you mindlessly obedient and cluelessly compliant heroic motherfuckers.... take a bow.... you saved the world.... well done.... :(

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
evs

Unread post by evs »

This is new information, you.

SARS-CoV-2 spike D614G variant confers enhanced replication and transmissibility

Abstract

During the evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in humans a D614G substitution in the spike (S) protein emerged and became the predominant circulating variant (S-614G) of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, whether the increasing prevalence of the S-614G variant represents a fitness advantage that improves replication and/or transmission in humans or is merely due to founder effects remains elusive. Here, we generated isogenic SARS-CoV-2 variants and demonstrate that the S-614G variant has (i) enhanced binding to human ACE2, (ii) increased replication in primary human bronchial and nasal airway epithelial cultures as well as in a novel human ACE2 knock-in mouse model, and (iii) markedly increased replication and transmissibility in hamster and ferret models of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Collectively, our data show that while the S-614G substitution results in subtle increases in binding and replication in vitro, it provides a real competitive advantage in vivo, particularly during the transmission bottle neck, providing an explanation for the global predominance of S-614G variant among the SARS-CoV-2 viruses currently circulating.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 7.357558v1

~ plaid ~
Seamajor

deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 07:53 and while we're busy patting you fuckin heroes on the back, lets try not to remember all the weddings, graduations, funerals and baby showers that were cancelled.... you know, those once in a lifetime events that ppl like to look back on later in life.... and lets not think about the surge of unemployment and the utter bankruptcy of all the small businessmen.... or the complete destruction of local farms.... surely that won't have any effect on the food supply.... thank God for you mindlessly obedient and cluelessly compliant heroic motherfuckers.... take a bow.... you saved the world.... well done.... :(
Good thoughts and so true. Sad most didn’t see it coming back in February. It’s outa control now. Thank you DT. There is no one else to point the finger at, aside from his fucked up family. Sure vote for him again.

asal

Unread post by asal »

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 08:59 This is new information, you.

SARS-CoV-2 spike D614G variant confers enhanced replication and transmissibility

Abstract

During the evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in humans a D614G substitution in the spike (S) protein emerged and became the predominant circulating variant (S-614G) of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, whether the increasing prevalence of the S-614G variant represents a fitness advantage that improves replication and/or transmission in humans or is merely due to founder effects remains elusive. Here, we generated isogenic SARS-CoV-2 variants and demonstrate that the S-614G variant has (i) enhanced binding to human ACE2, (ii) increased replication in primary human bronchial and nasal airway epithelial cultures as well as in a novel human ACE2 knock-in mouse model, and (iii) markedly increased replication and transmissibility in hamster and ferret models of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Collectively, our data show that while the S-614G substitution results in subtle increases in binding and replication in vitro, it provides a real competitive advantage in vivo, particularly during the transmission bottle neck, providing an explanation for the global predominance of S-614G variant among the SARS-CoV-2 viruses currently circulating.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 7.357558v1
Now I have to worry about ferrets :unsure:

Get in on it.
deadskinmask

Seamajor wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:08
deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 07:53 and while we're busy patting you fuckin heroes on the back, lets try not to remember all the weddings, graduations, funerals and baby showers that were cancelled.... you know, those once in a lifetime events that ppl like to look back on later in life.... and lets not think about the surge of unemployment and the utter bankruptcy of all the small businessmen.... or the complete destruction of local farms.... surely that won't have any effect on the food supply.... thank God for you mindlessly obedient and cluelessly compliant heroic motherfuckers.... take a bow.... you saved the world.... well done.... :(
Good thoughts and so true. Sad most didn’t see it coming back in February. It’s outa control now. Thank you DT. There is no one else to point the finger at, aside from his fucked up family. Sure vote for him again.
no, buddy.... donald trump didn't make you act like idiots.... he simply suggested you act like idiots.... each of you made the decision to act like idiots.... each of you played an active role in putting us where we are now.... its nice to have someone to blame for this.... i'm sure each of you take comfort in the fact that you were only doing what the little man on tv said to do.... but the fact of the matter is that collectively yall have fucked us.... duck out of any responsibility you can.... tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night.... but it doesn't change the situation.... nor does it make you any less responsible.... yall did this.... :(

Seamajor

deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:04
Seamajor wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:08 Good thoughts and so true. Sad most didn’t see it coming back in February. It’s outa control now. Thank you DT. There is no one else to point the finger at, aside from his fucked up family. Sure vote for him again.
no, buddy.... donald trump didn't make you act like idiots.... he simply suggested you act like idiots.... each of you made the decision to act like idiots.... each of you played an active role in putting us where we are now.... its nice to have someone to blame for this.... i'm sure each of you take comfort in the fact that you were only doing what the little man on tv said to do.... but the fact of the matter is that collectively yall have fucked us.... duck out of any responsibility you can.... tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night.... but it doesn't change the situation.... nor does it make you any less responsible.... yall did this.... :(
This all has to do with Trump and the fact that he didn’t do shit. Look where we are now. He is responsible along with those idiots who choose not to wear masks, social distance, following the prescribed recommendations. The fucking proof is in the thread. His campaign rallies are super spreader events. Yeah sorry about the results and the disappointments related to his ignorance.

asal

Unread post by asal »

deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:04
Seamajor wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:08 Good thoughts and so true. Sad most didn’t see it coming back in February. It’s outa control now. Thank you DT. There is no one else to point the finger at, aside from his fucked up family. Sure vote for him again.
What if ... the USA had closed down for a month instead of lingering, increasing disease counts? One month of missed weddings and parties causing people that are quick at the trigger to commit as many suicides and start as many addictions as they could in that one month. But no. Let's fester.

Get in on it.
evs

Unread post by evs »

~ plaid ~
Seamajor

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:44
Excellent info.
Just waking up to this? No fucking wonder the virus is out of control. Good thing you’re in Canada

asal

Unread post by asal »

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:44
Excellent info.
Yesh.

I read that lunchrooms are the dangerous area right now because people are gathered without masks to eat. It'd be great if people would discuss and focus on reducing that danger (with ventilation, reduced group size, spreading out, reducing time spent with masks off, etc.).

Get in on it.
deadskinmask

i see an awful lot of 'what if'.... thats cool.... but unfortunately we'll never know.... now.... let me tell ya what i do know.... while yall were barricaded up in your house, wearing face diapers and hiding under beds like anne frank in hitlers closet, i was out looking around.... i watched ppl walking around in masks and gloves, constantly touching their face, scratching their noses and adjusting their masks.... never once washing their hands or changing gloves.... even eating pizza and hot dogs in the same damn gloves.... and these same ppl looked at me like i was a health hazard.... it was so wild.... shopping in herds at the very few open stores.... the stores being poorly ventilated food warehouses like sams, costco and walmart.... i then realized it wasn't about stopping a disease.... it was about spreading it.... i looked at all the discarded ppe on the ground and laying in open trashcans.... and all the businesses spending so much on arrows for the floors, little circles telling you where to stand, signs reminding you to stand apart and wear masks and such.... BUT no containers for discarded ppe.... not a single one.... just throw it on the ground.... or if you feel like it, toss it in with the recyclables.... where it can be picked up in open air garbage trucks and driven around for blocks up and down neighborhoods and such.... no problem.... i understand that it doesn't register with most of yall.... i also know that of the 4 hospitals i visited had atleast half and up to 3/4s closed up.... they weren't 'overcrowded'.... they were running at half capacity or less.... i have more to say but i doubt yall get it anyway.... good luck to ya.... :(

Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 11:33 wearing face diapers and hiding under beds like anne frank in hitlers closet,

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
deadskinmask

Blazor wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 11:41
deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 11:33 wearing face diapers and hiding under beds like anne frank in hitlers closet,
howdy, stranger.... hows things going? alls good here.... :D

evs

Unread post by evs »

deadskinmask wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 11:33 i see an awful lot of 'what if'.... thats cool.... but unfortunately we'll never know.... now.... let me tell ya what i do know.... while yall were barricaded up in your house, wearing face diapers and hiding under beds like anne frank in hitlers closet, i was out looking around.... i watched ppl walking around in masks and gloves, constantly touching their face, scratching their noses and adjusting their masks.... never once washing their hands or changing gloves.... even eating pizza and hot dogs in the same damn gloves.... and these same ppl looked at me like i was a health hazard.... it was so wild.... shopping in herds at the very few open stores.... the stores being poorly ventilated food warehouses like sams, costco and walmart.... i then realized it wasn't about stopping a disease.... it was about spreading it.... i looked at all the discarded ppe on the ground and laying in open trashcans.... and all the businesses spending so much on arrows for the floors, little circles telling you where to stand, signs reminding you to stand apart and wear masks and such.... BUT no containers for discarded ppe.... not a single one.... just throw it on the ground.... or if you feel like it, toss it in with the recyclables.... where it can be picked up in open air garbage trucks and driven around for blocks up and down neighborhoods and such.... no problem.... i understand that it doesn't register with most of yall.... i also know that of the 4 hospitals i visited had atleast half and up to 3/4s closed up.... they weren't 'overcrowded'.... they were running at half capacity or less.... i have more to say but i doubt yall get it anyway.... good luck to ya.... :(
What you see is imperfect application of imperfect precautions which, as imperfect as they are, are better than nothing. And ppl don’t follow those rules or go half-assed about them? We know, we see the numbers rising, so that barely new information.

~ plaid ~
deadskinmask

cases.... everytime its 'cases'.... let me tell you about a friend of mine.... hes a full fledged covid survivor and believer.... he went in for testing and was found positive after 2 tests.... AFTER 2 TESTS.... he was quarantined and watched for 2 weeks after which he was found negative after 3 tests.... AFTER 3 TESTS.... i sincerely believe these tests to be irrelevant and they simply do them and re-do them until the desired results are produced.... most of these deaths are borrowed from other causes anyway.... as for covid itself, i think of it the same as a peanut allergy.... it might kill an occasional person but to most its not lethal.... :(

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

I tested negative for my 3rd pregnancy up until my 7th month. :D

deadskinmask

yeah.... but they weren't using the results to keep everyone inside the house.... in fact, if you had been outside you wouldn't have gotten pregnant to begin with.... :(