Not sure if I'd feel safe travelling to the United States anymore

Register accountRead the forum rules
J0E

Not sure if I'd feel safe travelling to the United States anymore

Unread post by J0E »

...and it has nothing to do with the social divisions, political or street violence lately.

It has more to do with an uneven and poorly administered set of laws which have the potential to adversely affect a tourist/vistor.

eg - a couple of years back, a student from France accidentally stepped over into Point Roberts from the Canadian side.

She didn't know she had crossed over, but the border patrol didn't see it that way.

I believe she forgot her passport at a homestay where she was living and as a result, was detained for sevreral days/a couope of weeks at a dentention center. Meanwhile her family or homestay didn't know where the hell she went.

Luckily, this didn't happen in the time of the pandemic and she was eventually released.

However it it had, it could have had serious consequenbces for her. Like being exposed to covid and perhaps being detained much longer, given the increasingly frightened social climate we live in now.

I'm thinking this could impact Canadian travelers in the future. ie - a tourist rents a car, forgets his license and the car insurance at the hotel, he gets pulled over, and arrested for driving what the police thinks is a soteln car. So...he gets thrown in jail with other inmates who could carry the covid virus or something just as lethal.

So, it's an unjust poorly administered legal system I'm more afraid of than muggers or social acitvists or even oridnary folks with guns.

The USA has become scary, not for the actual dangers, but perceived ones, and overzealous law enforcement types who see a crime being commited under eveer cabbage patch. "Leave no stone unturned."

but in the process, I think the country is gradually becoming a police state too unsafe for the average tourists to bother to enjoy.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts why I'm increasingly thinking it's not really worth it to go to thhe USA anymore, because tourists don't have any rights down there.

That's why I'd rather go somewhere else and spend my tourist dollars in a nother country in the future.

Blurt

Re: Not sure if I'd feel safe travelling to the United States anymore

Unread post by Blurt »

Joe, for the love of Irina's God, either turn your auto-correct back on or go jump off from atop a Stanley Park totem pole.

Your recent posts are even more unreadable than usual.

Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

You still may be able to persuade a "First Person" to put you in a box of cedar wood and haul you up to the top of a douglas fir in Stanley Park.

J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Lochdubh wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 04:05 You still may be able to persuade a "First Person" to put you in a box of cedar wood and haul you up to the top of a douglas fir in Stanley Park.
You know 'Dubh, this is the one thing I crave/miss about the States that I can't get in Canada::

Oehrwise, Pretty well anything else I want, can get here, and at a 75 to 80 cent dollar too.

So...just to get.a few chocolate bars, I have to cross intense border security. Seems a bit excessive.

Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

I'm pretty certain that you can now obtain PAY DAY bars in BC. Might I suggest those instead?

salty and sweet like an intelligent woman.

deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

i would suggest yogurt.... its white, healthy and doesn't talk.... wish i could find a girl like that.... :D

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....