Mad Serb

Re: covers

Unread post by Mad Serb »

My favorite:

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

Irina wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 22:08some..
Do you have feelings against Mr. Sting? Or is it because a black man is singing it? (i probably shouldn't say that) It just seems kind of vanilla to me. Like a guy singing to himself in the car on the way to work.

In my opinion, you can't beat the original. Sting is Sting and he had such tremendously talented musicians surrounding him. Ten Summoner's Tales is a favorite album and I don't think anyone could do it any better.

Anyway, I thought this one was pretty cool in my teenage years:

(don't really give much of a fuck about them, these days)

roll me up and smoke me when I die
Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

This is the one that first popped into my mind. Better? Probably not but complementary as a rockin' version. R.E.M. (the band) with Warren Zevon on vocals.

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

I heard of Joe Jackson before I heard of Anthrax. This is a cool cover.

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

This one gets me jacked-up as all hell.

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

An all-time favorite.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Scooter wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 16:50
Irina wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 22:08some..
Do you have feelings against Mr. Sting? Or is it because a black man is singing it? (i probably shouldn't say that) It just seems kind of vanilla to me. Like a guy singing to himself in the car on the way to work.

In my opinion, you can't beat the original. Sting is Sting and he had such tremendously talented musicians surrounding him. Ten Summoner's Tales is a favorite album and I don't think anyone could do it any better.

Anyway, I thought this one was pretty cool in my teenage years:

(don't really give much of a fuck about them, these days)
Ha! Interesting commentary. That black guy Gregory whatshisname wears that stupid hat to cover huge boils leaking with pus on his cheeks or something else gross like that. You can’t find a picture of him where he is not wearing that hat and that’s so annoying. But all that said, I love his singing, as vanilla as it may be, because you can tell the great level of control he has over his performance, all while his cheeks are probably burning and leaking and his brain boiling.

Anyway i like sting, but this guy did a pretty good job at that cover. He made it sufficiently his own so that his version and sting’s version are somehow both good independently of each other. That’s seems very hard to do with covers.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Another cover that I should have used to start this thread probably.

~ plaid ~
Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

Irina wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 03:29Anyway i like sting, but this guy did a pretty good job at that cover. He made it sufficiently his own so that his version and sting’s version are somehow both good independently of each other. That’s seems very hard to do with covers.
Okay. Yeah, I get it.
Irina wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 09:43 Another cover that I should have used to start this thread probably.
That's pretty. I'll make a note of them to see what happens with that Telecaster sitting off to the side.

(off topic) They have a LAMP! Meh, a guy I know and I consider him a friend had a side gig called Two Idiots and a Lamp many years ago. Sort of made me LOL. I can't find any decent videos of him doing a cover song but that's what he does for a living, playing in bars 5 to 7 evenings or nights every week. He has his original songs, as well.

I'll post this. Not really sure what 311 was thinking covering The Cure. I've been a fan of both and still love The Cure. It's nice and all but I sort of fell out of love with 311.

evs

Unread post by evs »

gotcha:) not bad.

i am such a romantic tho. this song makes me happy every time i hear it. the original is not this good imo.

~ plaid ~
asal

Unread post by asal »

Get in on it.