Chlorinated Chicken Is In Vancouver

Register accountRead the forum rules
Flutterby

Chlorinated Chicken Is In Vancouver

Unread post by Flutterby »

Had a deli chicken sandwhich from a popular health food store. I could smell and taste chlorine. It could be what they use to wipe their boards down but it seems too pervasive for that.

Made me sick for a week. Chlorine destroys intestinal micro flora and weakens immunity.

They're using it now to keep surface bacteria off raw chicken now.

Flutterby

Re: Chlorinated Chicken Is In Vancouver

Unread post by Flutterby »

"Soft wheat flour is commonly chlorinated in North America for the
production of cakes and pancakes. The oxidative properties of chlorine
gas cause chemical modifications to flour components that enhance processing and end-use functionality of the intended food products. "

https://public.wsu.edu/~wwql/reprints/F ... 83.684.pdf

evs

Unread post by evs »

I have no issue with it. It’s impossible to have any leftover in your food after baking. You’d ingest more by breathing in swimming pool air.

I do have an issue with store bought baking mixes tho. Mix yer own flour and baking soda. :sneaky:

~ plaid ~
soon

Unread post by soon »

so it turns out processed foods are bad for you and might possibly leave you blind or worse.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
evs

Unread post by evs »

True. Maybe. But not due to chlorine:))

~ plaid ~
soon

Unread post by soon »

the bleach doesn't help either.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Not in the least. Funny story tho, some ppl think it smells clean.

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

The only way to combat things you 'disapprove' of, is to not buy it. =)))

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

Why did the chlorinated chicken cross the street?

To weaken the immune system of the other side, of course.

evs

Unread post by evs »

To run away from e. Coli.

~ plaid ~
soon

Unread post by soon »

how many chlorinated chickens does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

To run away from e. Coli salmonella. And campylobacter, apparently.

roll me up and smoke me when I die
soon

Unread post by soon »

omg, there are more chlorinated chickens than humans!

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

a little too long copy pasta:
Consumer Reports has been measuring contamination in store-bought chickens since 1998. For our latest analysis, we had an outside lab test 382 chickens bought last spring from more than 100 supermarkets, gourmet- and natural-food stores, and mass merchandisers in 22 states. We tested three top brands—Foster Farms, Perdue, and Tyson—as well as 30 nonorganic store brands, nine organic store brands, and nine organic name brands. Five of the organic brands were labeled "air-chilled" (a slaughterhouse process in which carcasses are refrigerated and may be misted, rather than dunked in cold chlorinated water).

Among our findings:
Campylobacter was in 62 percent of the chickens, salmonella was in 14 percent, and both bacteria were in 9 percent. Only 34 percent of the birds were clear of both pathogens. That's double the percentage of clean birds we found in our 2007 report but far less than the 51 percent in our 2003 report.
Among the cleanest overall were air-chilled broilers. About 40 percent harbored one or both pathogens. Eight Bell & Evans organic broilers, which are air chilled, were free of both, but our sample was too small to determine that all Bell & Evans broilers would be.
Store-brand organic chickens had no salmonella at all, showing that it's possible for chicken to arrive in stores without that bacterium riding along. But as our tests showed, banishing one bug doesn't mean banishing both: 57 percent of those birds harbored campylobacter.
The cleanest name-brand chickens were Perdue's: 56 percent were free of both pathogens. This is the first time since we began testing chicken that one major brand has fared significantly better than others across the board.
Most contaminated were Tyson and Foster Farms chickens. More than 80 percent tested positive for one or both pathogens.
Among all brands and types of broilers tested, 68 percent of the salmonella and 60 percent of the campylobacter organisms we analyzed showed resistance to one or more antibiotics.

Perdue feeds their chickens arsenic. ARSENIC. That's Poison!

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

The difference between water-chilled and air-chilled chicken:
Water-chilled chicken accounts for the vast majority of chicken products sold in the United States. After being slaughtered, the chickens are quickly cooled down all together in an immense tub of ice-cold, chlorinated water. This conventional method is quick and efficient, however there are some drawbacks.
First of all, it takes a huge amount of fresh water to chill down the chickens – not a great strategy when so much of the country (and the world) is in need of fresh water. While bobbing in the vat of cold water, the chickens invariable absorb some of this liquid. In fact, the added moisture accounts for 2-12 percent of the chicken’s total weight. Since chicken products are sold per pound, this means that you are paying extra for this added water. This also dilutes the natural flavor of the chicken. When you see water at the bottom of pre-packaged chicken, it’s not juices – it’s the communal bath water.
Finally, if any of the chickens in the big communal bath are infected with bacteria, the water makes it easy for all the birds to catch the pathogens and then pass them on to your dinner table. Most of the chicken you have eaten throughout your life has been water-chilled.
Air-chilled chicken is the preferred process in many other countries. This method is slower and less efficient, and these chickens will cost more at the store. However there are many benefits. Once slaughtered, the chickens are cooled down with cold air. They are individually hung and passed through a series of refrigerated chambers over a period of several hours, which cools them down slowly and on an independent basis.
While air-chilled chickens are still sprayed with a chlorine mist, they are not submerged in it. The slower chilling process is more effective at tenderizing, and no water dilution means more natural chicken flavors and juices for you. Air-chilled chicken features a crispier skin after cooking. There’s no added water in the bird to pay for, and the chickens cook more quickly and yield higher amounts of meat. This method creates far less water waste, and the individually chilling process inhibits the spread of bacteria from chicken to chicken.

Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I've always been disgusted with the meat industry. I was a vegetarian at one point for 7 years because of it. Im always on again and off again.

Welp, we are changing our diets again...the kid is a huge supporter for animal rights abd has recently discovered PETA (Now, before you get your panties in a bunch about peta, just let have her experience) she still has much to learn about these kinds of organizations but she is on the right track and learning a lot.

We have an addition to our family, a bunny,..who we free roam and dont keep locked up in a tiny cage...all it takes is some training...the little guy is amazing! So, because he is a vegetarian, hay chomping cutie, the kid wants to support it. Im proud of her!

I like having a burger or some chicken sometimes, but im getting leary. Too much of it is pumped with junk and sometimes it just looks wrong. Im all for going vegetarian, Im just not giving up cheese...I cant do it :( My sister boygjt me a recipe book for xmas called "thug kitchen"...its got some really good recipes in there.

:purdy:
soon

Unread post by soon »

costco sells more chlorinated chickens than any other retailer. they sell so many hot roasted chlorinated chickens they have their own chicken factories.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

soon wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 12:22 how many chlorinated chickens does it take to screw in a light bulb?
:D

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Berry Sweet wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 15:29 I've always been disgusted with the meat industry. I was a vegetarian at one point for 7 years because of it. Im always on again and off again.

Welp, we are changing our diets again...the kid is a huge supporter for animal rights abd has recently discovered PETA (Now, before you get your panties in a bunch about peta, just let have her experience) she still has much to learn about these kinds of organizations but she is on the right track and learning a lot.

We have an addition to our family, a bunny,..who we free roam and dont keep locked up in a tiny cage...all it takes is some training...the little guy is amazing! So, because he is a vegetarian, hay chomping cutie, the kid wants to support it. Im proud of her!

I like having a burger or some chicken sometimes, but im getting leary. Too much of it is pumped with junk and sometimes it just looks wrong. Im all for going vegetarian, Im just not giving up cheese...I cant do it :( My sister boygjt me a recipe book for xmas called "thug kitchen"...its got some really good recipes in there.
Berry....cheese is perfectly ok as part of a vegetarian diet. Vegan....not so much. =)

I shamelessly shall remain an omnivore. =)))

Aside from not only LIKING meat....my body CRAVES it. And I listen.
After all....I will always believe there is a reason we are biologicallty structured to eat both. =)

soon

Unread post by soon »

there's a ton of competition in the hot roasted chlorinated chicken market. costco has a lot of work to do if it wants to stay ahead of the competition.

Berry Sweet

mimi wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 18:49
Berry Sweet wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 15:29 I've always been disgusted with the meat industry. I was a vegetarian at one point for 7 years because of it. Im always on again and off again.

Berry....cheese is perfectly ok as part of a vegetarian diet. Vegan....not so much. =)

After all....I will always believe there is a reason we are biologicallty structured to eat both. =)
Yeah some things are ok. She wanted to go completely vegan but I explained to her its too dangerous at her age for her developing brain and body (and all the boring science stuff that comes with it)...thank God she agreed and listened to me this time! So she's starting off slow while doing research along the way...kind of a good thing cause this gets her learning.

I too do not want to give up meat completely. I do like it. Plus, I know I don't always eat properly, I skip meals cause im not hungry and drink boost instead. So I need those burgers sometimes :cool:

Vegan "cheese" taste like shit.

soon

Unread post by soon »

pretty sure in canada people buy more hot roasted chlorinated chicken at safeway and superstore.

soon

Unread post by soon »

perhaps canadian hot roasted chlorinated chicken sellers could develop a united grocers chlorinated chicken factory. maybe we could do that air drying thing with a light chlorination bath or something.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Berry Sweet wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 19:35
mimi wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 18:49

Yeah some things are ok. She wanted to go completely vegan but I explained to her its too dangerous at her age for her developing brain and body (and all the boring science stuff that comes with it)...thank God she agreed and listened to me this time! So she's starting off slow while doing research along the way...kind of a good thing cause this gets her learning.

I too do not want to give up meat completely. I do like it. Plus, I know I don't always eat properly, I skip meals cause im not hungry and drink boost instead. So I need those burgers sometimes :cool:

Vegan "cheese" taste like shit.
Nobody's going to ever convince me that a vegan diet is a healthy diet. It makes a statement, of some sort....but I can't see how eliminating so many 'food groups' from our 'daily requirements', can possibly be healthy.

My thoughts, regarding anyone concerned about where their meat is coming from....just don't buy 'big-box'.

Good for you, for pointing out to her, and explaining the balance of nutrition in relationship to development.

soon

Unread post by soon »

the point is if anybody is going to make chlorinated chickens for canadians it should bee canadian manufacturers.

Berry Sweet

mimi wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 20:14 Nobody's going to ever convince me that a vegan diet is a healthy diet. It makes a statement, of some sort....but I can't see how eliminating so many 'food groups' from our 'daily requirements', can possibly be healthy.

My thoughts, regarding anyone concerned about where their meat is coming from....just don't buy 'big-box'.

Good for you, for pointing out to her, and explaining the balance of nutrition in relationship to development.
It can be healthy if you have the money and knowledge about it. Most don't. I personally don't have the time for it, yet alone the effort, no thx. Eventually my kid will see where im coming from with all of this...where I drive to and how much I pay for it. But yeah, her development is no.1...I told her when she turns 19, she can make her own decisions, but rifht now she follows my orders, considering everything that's happened...

I use to drive out to this farm and get my meat there, it was local, hormone and antibiotic free, blah blah...its an awesome place...but I just dont have the time and funds for that.

Berry Sweet

soon wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 20:18 the point is if anybody is going to make chlorinated chickens for canadians it should bee canadian manufacturers.
This is the first im hearing about chlorinated chickens...its disgusting...not even sure if I want to tell the kid? Maybe she already knows? Where is this information from? (I dont want to click the link above)

Our food in general is disgusting, sometimes im even leary about some fruits and veggies.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Information is good....but I like your stand that...this is how I feel you need to eat (right now) to give you what I feel you need to have....and then leaving open the option that she can choose herself once you are no longer the 'food giver' in the home. :D

Well done.

Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

I avoid chicken like the plague. It's called "yard bird" in Bally Moo and DC and is only slightly better for
you than pigeon in the rough. It is truly ubiquitous and shows up constantly in restaurant dishes and the prepared meals in the frozen food aisle. Yuck.