Who loves where they are...

Register accountRead the forum rules
mimi

Who loves where they are...

Unread post by mimi »

Are you happy with where you reside ?

Are you happy with your home, your community....your city ?

Do you have visions of somewhere else you'd rather be ?

evs

Re: Who loves where they are...

Unread post by evs »

Love the topic:)

I would say that I am really happy with the house itself and the community, I miss only one thing to be able to say that I have had the experience of living in a perfect house - ocean views! :biggrin:

How about you meem?

~ plaid ~
asal

Unread post by asal »

mimi wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:03 Are you happy with where you reside ?

Are you happy with your home, your community....your city ?

Do you have visions of somewhere else you'd rather be ?
Country absolutely! We are so fortunate :canada:

Community, yes, it's perfect. City : the real estate thing is a bummer. Yes overall.

Get in on it.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Ya....we are all pretty lucky to live in BC. But...that's a REALLY broad perspective of what I'm asking, I suppose.

Are you happy with your 'residence'....is there another place you'd rather be. That's the angle I'm looking at.

evs

Unread post by evs »

I totally get your question:) is your home - a home to you.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:13 Love the topic:)

I would say that I am really happy with the house itself and the community, I miss only one thing to be able to say that I have had the experience of living in a perfect house - ocean views! :biggrin:

How about you meem?
Multi-faceted concept here.
I'm ok with the city I live in...it's really quite beautiful in a 'small way'.....although, it never felt right to leave my home...a home that I'd always said for 23 years, that the only way I'd ever leave this place, was in a pine box. I should have listened to myself.

I love the closer proximity to the ocean....because I am a water person...lol

My house is beautiful....but not beautiful for me. It's a house that would have appealed to me when I had many teenagers, that needed space....but now that all those teenagers are on their own....I have a big massive house that is too much house.

So...in answer to my own question....I don't love where I am. :(

evs

Unread post by evs »

How beautiful is west coast. I adore the architectural style, the climate, the scenery, the views - ocean, mountains, you name it.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

mimi wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:56 So...in answer to my own question....I don't love where I am.
I hear you meem. What can be done. Could you sell and downsize into something - with more trees?

~ plaid ~
Odinson

Unread post by Odinson »

I´m happy with this house.. I´m thinking about moving further up north because the scenery is amazing.

Though... I have always dreamed of a hobbit house... Like bag-end..

It shouldnt be too difficult to make with all this green roof technology around.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:01
mimi wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:56 So...in answer to my own question....I don't love where I am.
I hear you meem. What can be done. Could you sell and downsize into something - with more tree?
I CAN maintain this place, with its massive amount of work. But the question has become...do I WANT to commit this much energy
to maintaining this much space that we don't really use.
Right now, I am sitting here with every GD muscle in my body aching....and I'm not near halfway done. We have 'garden guys'....but the price for them to do it, is not only out of our snack bracket....I HATE paying for things that I can do myself. (apparently at a cost)...so...I'm doing it myself. :D

Anyways....time to 'downsize'. This is a FAMILY home...and our family needs are shrinking....but I'm still maintaining a place that doesn't need this much space.

evs

Unread post by evs »

I get it. You also pay higher taxes for all that space that runs unused. Downsize you must methinx:(

~ plaid ~
Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I like where I live. The area is convenient and my place is cute and cozy for renting. I enjoy where I live and work. But it's not something I want to do forever...I plan to move several more times in my lifetime.

I don't care about lavish homes...as long as I have small cute place, my essentials and items to survive, I am happy. It's the person who makes the home happy, not the frivolousness.

:purdy:
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

I hear ya. Lavish isn't what I'm lookig for either. Give me hominess and comfort....and something that isn't so demanding of my time and my energy. :D

evs

Unread post by evs »

I would like a mortgage helper.

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

That's a pretty thought. =)

But for me....I don't mind having to pay for where I live....I just mind paying for a place that doesn't meet what I'm looking for.

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

Let's start a commune.

Everybody gets space according to their need.

Somewhere by the ocean. Easy access to the T-Can. Island living.

Oh, wait. I'm already there.

I like my home. Simple. Great view of the Juan De Fuca Strait. Inexpensive. Quiet neighbourhood. Ten minutes to downtown.

I do miss Montreal sometimes, though. The outdoor "terrasses." Access to cuisines and foodstuffs from all over the world. Festivals galore.

But then I remember the six-month, -30 degree winters and I STFU.

Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 22:26 I would like a mortgage helper.
Is that like a second or third Mortgage, or someone to help you pay yours?

Semen
evs

Unread post by evs »

That’s a part of the house or a small detached guest house you can rent out. I would use it as Airbnb.

~ plaid ~
Seamajor

Irina wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 06:44 That’s a part of the house or a small detached guest house you can rent out. I would use it as Airbnb.
I see. I have one. Yep it helps.

Semen
evs

Unread post by evs »

Blurt wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 23:32 I do miss Montreal sometimes, though. The outdoor "terrasses." Access to cuisines and foodstuffs from all over the world. Festivals galore.

But then I remember the six-month, -30 degree winters and I STFU.
That’s how I feel about Belgrade:) but then I look at these gorgeous cedars and I stfu. Winters were not as bad as Montreal’s but I’d take west coast climate over any. And water! I love the taste of water here. Only hard water from wells in the old country. We drink rain here. It doesn’t get purer and tastier than that.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Mortgage helper is the only way I could pay for an ocean view house like the one I posted above. I also genuinely like to host ppl.

~ plaid ~
Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

Maybe you could host Meems?

She'd fix your decks, too.

evs

Unread post by evs »

I’d love to host meems permanently:)) oh wait

~ plaid ~
Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

Me lives in Van area. I like where I live but would not mind Shaughnessy mansion, if I could afford one. Ocean view - that would be great, although I prefer this side of Burrard inlet.

As for Island living, I could move to Victoria any moment, but probably not to some small town on Van Island or some smaller island.

J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Berry Sweet wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:47 I like where I live. The area is convenient and my place is cute and cozy for renting. I enjoy where I live and work. But it's not something I want to do forever...I plan to move several more times in my lifetime.
You PLAN to move SEVERAL MORE TIMES?!?

The cost of moving is potentially high.

Plus everytime you move, the rent seems to be more expensive than the last time. I have friends who are doing that, and now theyre paying 30% more than me. And they end up with a place way out in the burbs far from their jobs.

I dunno. Maybe you have those low government subsidized rents. I don't. I'm paying over $1200 per month for a 1br & I think thats high. But others are paying that much for a bachelor. $2000 for 1 br is common now.

I can't afford to move anymore. Many others can't either. Thats a large reason vacancy rates are so low in Vancouver because the rents are so high. Many people refuse to move cuz what they'll move into will cost them at least 50% more.

Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

J0E wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 10:43 Thats a large reason vacancy rates are so low in Vancouver because the rents are so high.
It's the other way around - rents are high because vacancies are low. Therefore there is large competition for any free place.

If high rents produce low vacancy rates, then jacking up rent to $10,000 for 1bdrm will push vacancy to 0% and decreasing rents to $100 should make 50% of all places un-rented.

J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Irina wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 22:26 I would like a mortgage helper.
Do you have a large mortgage, Irina?

How many more years til its paid off?

40?

evs

Unread post by evs »

I got a mortgage while the prices were still raging in 2017. My mortgage is huge. Prices are not much better now mind you, but at least bidding wars are a thing of the past. For now.

~ plaid ~
Seamajor

Irina wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 06:54 Mortgage helper is the only way I could pay for an ocean view house like the one I posted above. I also genuinely like to host ppl.
Regarding a mortgage helper, is the fact that you’d probably have to see them coming and going every day. Add in the close proximity to the renter, and every time there is something wrong they’d be at your door step telling you. Another thing to think about is what and what is not accessible to your property. Access to laundry, pool, internet, phone. Separate utilities are essential. The trade off might be worth it. It is to me. My renter will be back in November. I’ve already alerted him the rent is going up.

Semen