MOre On Cellphone Spying

Register accountRead the forum rules
Flutterby

MOre On Cellphone Spying

Unread post by Flutterby »

Lochdubh

Re: MOre On Cellphone Spying

Unread post by Lochdubh »

Feel free to leave your cell at home or locked in the boot of your car.

turn that bastard off and only use it for outgoing calls or occasional communications checks.

:sneaky:

Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

I been saying this for years, even before Snowden. Yet folks like "the latest and greatest" phones. The newer the phone (or even TV), the more intrusive they get. There are reasons they dont want you taking the battery out, reasons there are cameras on each side of the phone.

I'll stick with my 7 year old phone that I can still take the battery out.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

Flutterby

I hope that my cellphone doesn't steal the business ideas I share with people....

And yes, I do feel the cable boxes on tv's these days can hear and maybe even see you.

Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

Flutterby wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 09:43 I hope that my cellphone doesn't steal the business ideas I share with people....

And yes, I do feel the cable boxes on tv's these days can hear and maybe even see you.
They can! Supposedly it was proven on the old cable boxes, so Im sure the newer ones have advanced capabilities. Smart TVs DO listen, and send the audio back. I believe they have a camera in it too.

Here is one thing I found on the TV....

It does it all by connecting to the Internet. Therein lies its weakness. Computer Security firm ReVuln proved last year that it could hack Samsung's newest televisions, accessing users' settings, installing malware on the TVs and any connected devices, and harvesting all the personal data stored on the machine. They could even switch on the camera embedded in the TV and watch viewers watching the set.

Samsung says it patched the security flaw.

I didnt know this had developed this much either.....

The U.S. military disclosed last year it created an app called PlaceRaider that uses a phone's camera, geo-location data and its accelerometer to create a 3D map of the phone's surroundings.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

1. Just if it can be done, does not mean it is being done
2. If it can be done, someone will do it.

It is good to be cautious, but whether or not someone (CIA, Trudeau, Little rocket man, KGB...) is listening it virtually impossible to prove in any particular case. Err on side of caution

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

(i was trying to find a mimi thread related to this but didn't have any luck)

A month ago, Duluth was having a sale and I bought two pairs of black jeans for work, a coat that was 50% off, a rain jacket, three pairs of underwear. I was telling my buddy about it during 'coffee and tears' before work. He likes Duluth's underwear as much as I do and said he needs to get some more because he has a couple pairs that need to be retired.

A couple days later, there was another sale and I bought a fleece vest, a long sleeve fleece and two six-packs of socks. I got my order, opened up the box and there's a pair of 2XL underwear sitting on top. WTF? I got what I ordered and the underwear wasn't on the invoice. And 2XL is twice my size. Well, it just so happens that my buddy is twice my size so I asked him what size he wears. 2XL. My buddy gets a free pair of underwear. He's like "Dude, we were just talking about this the other day. They're spying on us!"

roll me up and smoke me when I die
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Scooter wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 12:43 (i was trying to find a mimi thread related to this but didn't have any luck)

A month ago, Duluth was having a sale and I bought two pairs of black jeans for work, a coat that was 50% off, a rain jacket, three pairs of underwear. I was telling my buddy about it during 'coffee and tears' before work. He likes Duluth's underwear as much as I do and said he needs to get some more because he has a couple pairs that need to be retired.

A couple days later, there was another sale and I bought a fleece vest, a long sleeve fleece and two six-packs of socks. I got my order, opened up the box and there's a pair of 2XL underwear sitting on top. WTF? I got what I ordered and the underwear wasn't on the invoice. And 2XL is twice my size. Well, it just so happens that my buddy is twice my size so I asked him what size he wears. 2XL. My buddy gets a free pair of underwear. He's like "Dude, we were just talking about this the other day. They're spying on us!"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75275&p=1488690&hil ... e#p1488690

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

Yeah, that one.

roll me up and smoke me when I die
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

It still happens. :D

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

After re-reading that thread....I still wonder the same thing. I'm not sure that I'm as hugely concerned about their (illegal) eavesdropping, as I am with the reason for the unenforced law that allows it to go unaddressed.

It's a blatant invasion of privacy. And while the government does the same thing....you'd think they'd at least ACT like it's reprehensible. :D

Blazor

Unread post by Blazor »

Scooter wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 12:43 He's like "Dude, we were just talking about this the other day. They're spying on us!"
:D

Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I don't have cable cause it's stupid. Never thought of a cable box spying? What about the actual modem itself? I've never thought or looked into it.

None of my TVs have a built in camera, not that it would concern me...even if it did, if someone wanted to watch me drink my tea and fart while I watch a movie on my couch, knock yourself out.

Cell phones on the other hand....I'm getting really sick n tired of all the ads. It tries to sell everything to me, even tries to strike my interest in certain college programs repetitively...ones I'm nowhere interested in or even my field of interest...I find this so bizzare...I thought cell phones and/or Google were watching and knew what we were interested in or looking at and try to ram it down our throats?? Mines way off and I'm beginning to wonder if Google is retarded?

:purdy:
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

I'm just sick of ads....period.

You can't even watch a youtube anymore without MULTIPLE ads. :mad:

Do people who put their youtubes up have a choice of whether they want ads in them or not.
I'm subscribed to a few channels....and many of them have no ads at all. Can they opt out ?
And if not, do they have any say in where the ads are placed ?

Berry Sweet

mimi wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 18:13 I'm just sick of ads....period.

Do people who put their youtubes up have a choice of whether they want ads in them or not.
I'm subscribed to a few channels....and many of them have no ads at all. Can they opt out ?
I listen to music on you tube everyday...and I get annoyed with them.. they are the same ones again and again...sometimes they play 2x in a row....so irritating! I get the same one constantly...some app you download and its a brain game to help build vocabulary and write better, its so long and stupid.

You can opt out of the ads...its called you tube premium...but you have to pay for it...I guess it works something like spotify if you pay for it.

Berry Sweet

I could live in an ad free world. I honestly have no interest in buying anything.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

It's not so much that I have no interest in buying anything....it's that when I DO want to buy something...I know how to find it. :D

Flutterby

Berry Sweet wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 18:51

It's why I buy used CD's online

I listen to music on you tube everyday...and I get annoyed with them.. they are the same ones again and again...sometimes they play 2x in a row....so irritating! I get the same one constantly...some app you download and its a brain game to help build vocabulary and write better, its so long and stupid.

You can opt out of the ads...its called you tube premium...but you have to pay for it...I guess it works something like spotify if you pay for it.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Berry Sweet wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 18:51

I understand that I have options to view without ads...for a price.
What I'm curious about is...do the people who put up their vids have the option to have ads, or not have ads.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Flutterby wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 12:30
Finally got around to watching this.

It’s so worth the time. Here is the whole podcast.

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Oy vay....almost 3 hours ?

Thanks but no thanks.

The truth is....I don't need anyone spending that much time trying to convince me that we're being spied on through our electronic devices. I've known it for a very long time....and I'm not even a paranoid personality. :D

The fact is....once we become aware of their intrusive invasion of privacy...and opt to continue using the devices that allow them access to that....we are giving our consent.

So...how can we NOT continue to expose ourselves without giving up these conveniences ? You can't. Convenience ? ...or privacy.
People have made their choice...so again...privacy comes with a price.

evs

Unread post by evs »

I am with you meem, we all have made our choice. that interview is worth a watch tho, because snowden is so smart, outspoken and sexy:))

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

I suppose that's half my problem. For some reason I can only listen to him in very short spurts. :(

evs

Unread post by evs »

elusive sexiness:))

~ plaid ~
soon

Unread post by soon »

excessive fluffiness.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
evs

Unread post by evs »

what say you on snowden, soons?

~ plaid ~
soon

Unread post by soon »

i haven't seen the movie yet but i do like joseph gordon-levitt though.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.