Best Before...

Register accountRead the forum rules
mimi

Best Before...

Unread post by mimi »

Why don't they have 'Best Before' dates on spices. They may not necessarily expire....but they have a relatively short shelf life.

And Marmite....does it expire ? :unsure:

Жekko

Re: Best Before...

Unread post by Жekko »

mimi wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:30
what’s the difference?

it always tastes expired

:D

Unless you’ve studied what they have studied and had their experience, why would you expect to get it?
—evs
9 incher/160 IQ

Unread post by 9 incher/160 IQ »

Spices are pretty much the only foods or food products I feel safe using without a best before. If they are sealed properly it is not an issue. They are dry. Leaving them in an open or even slightly open cabinet above your stove where steam often rises is a big no no. Many people put their spices up in that cabinet because it seems convenient or they saw others do it. Seal your spices up and they should run out before any issues occur.

Fuc# 0ff.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Жekko wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:34
what’s the difference?

it always tastes expired

There's no middle ground with Marmite. Either you love it, or you hate it. =)))

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Money Shot wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:47 Spices are pretty much the only foods or food products I feel safe using without a best before. If they are sealed properly it is not an issue. They are dry. Leaving them in an open or even slightly open cabinet above your stove where steam often rises is a big no no. Many people put their spices up in that cabinet because it seems convenient or they saw others do it. Seal your spices up and they should run out before any issues occur.
I'm not concerned about them 'going bad'. I should have included herbs too...because they have an even shorter lifespan than spices. It doesn't matter if the jar has never been opened....they will lose flavour over time.

Blurt

Unread post by Blurt »

Spices are to be thrown out and replaced after six months.

Sargent Smellibitz

Unread post by Sargent Smellibitz »

Blurt wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:25 Spices are to be thrown out and replaced after six months.
Except salt... and sugar...technically not spices though...

9 incher/160 IQ

Unread post by 9 incher/160 IQ »

mimi wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 12:05
Money Shot wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:47 Spices are pretty much the only foods or food products I feel safe using without a best before. If they are sealed properly it is not an issue. They are dry. Leaving them in an open or even slightly open cabinet above your stove where steam often rises is a big no no. Many people put their spices up in that cabinet because it seems convenient or they saw others do it. Seal your spices up and they should run out before any issues occur.
I meant if you know what you are doing and respect them enough to store them properly potency should not be an issue.
I'm not concerned about them 'going bad'. I should have included herbs too...because they have an even shorter lifespan than spices. It doesn't matter if the jar has never been opened....they will lose flavour over time.

Fuc# 0ff.
Sargent Smellibitz

mimi wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:30 Why don't they have 'Best Before' dates on spices. They may not necessarily expire....but they have a relatively short shelf life.

Marmite and vegemite if refrigerated after opening will last much longer than their BBD... although they can develop mold even with the high salt content so always use the glass jars, not the travel packs, so you can judge... you'll know when it's off...

I've had vegemite in the fridge that's a year past...no problem... but don't dip used utensils in it....ie butter knife after buttering toast, or you will open it up one day and it's furry..

Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

mimi wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:30 Why don't they have 'Best Before' dates on spices. They may not necessarily expire....but they have a relatively short shelf life.

I’d say yes for dried spices. Fresh spiced become dried after a few days, and usable. I love fresh sage. Goes so well with butter.

Semen
Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

mimi wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 12:01
Жekko wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:34
what’s the difference?

it always tastes expired

There's no middle ground with Marmite. Either you love it, or you hate it. =)))
same with marmots. :(

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Dinky Dazza wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:40

Marmite and vegemite if refrigerated after opening will last much longer than their BBD... although they can develop mold even with the high salt content so always use the glass jars, not the travel packs, so you can judge... you'll know when it's off...

I've had vegemite in the fridge that's a year past...no problem... but don't dip used utensils in it....ie butter knife after buttering toast, or you will open it up one day and it's furry..
My point is....they don't have 'best before' dates ON them.
I've never refrigerated marmite or vegemite...and if it should be refrigerated...they should have that on the label too.

Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I don't keep much spice...only the ones I use most...you will mainly see oregano, dill and rosemary in my place...sometimes I steal a bit of cumin off my mom...I see no need for anything else.

I do like buying fresh basil occasionally.

When visiting someone and we cook...spices and dips and sauces on their fridge door are always a big NO.

I use to have these two guy friends...they were room mates...one moved out...anyway, about 2 years later I was visiting him and asking him about his sauces on the fridge door (basically telling him to throw them out)....he told me they were the other guys sauces and didnt take them when he moved....I couldn't believe it!! Gross! I will never touch anything on anyones fridge door ever again after that!

:purdy:
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

My spice cupboard is loaded. (maybe overloaded) :blush:
I have two masala dabbas....even though I don't cook much indian food....but one is 'everyday' herbs and spices. So...once they are in the masala dabba....even if there was 'best before dates' on spices...they would be gone once they are put in there.

I never understand buying sauces or salad dressings. They are probably THE EASIEST and quickest thing to put together than anything.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Ditto, salad dressings and sauces. I buy ketchup, mustard, mayo and soy sauce. Everything else I make myself.

One thing I find particularly wrong is garlic in a jar. How hard can it be to grab a clove or two and bang them with a wide knife? The peel just falls off and garlic pulp is ready.

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Irina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:09 Ditto, salad dressings and sauces. I buy ketchup, mustard, mayo and soy sauce. Everything else I make myself.

One thing I find particularly wrong is garlic in a jar. How hard can it be to grab a clove or two and bang them with a wide knife? The peel just falls off and garlic pulp is ready.
Soy sauce for sure....since it takes a minimum of 6 months to make. :D

Ya....I don't get the garlic in a jar either. I've been lucky for the last several years, that my son grows the most awesome garlic.
I started planting it....but it was never as good as his. So now we trade what grows best in my garden with what grows best in his. =)))

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

...oh....and mayo is too simple too....although sometimes I will get store-bought. THE BEST store-bought mayo is 'Seriously Good Mayo'....and it is seriously good. =))

evs

Unread post by evs »

You are both so lucky to have each other:) ❤️

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Mayo is easy to make but I just can’t get around to doing it. How do you make it meem?

This is the closest to my recipe
1 large egg at room temperature
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1 cup (240 ml) neutral flavored oil, grapeseed, safflower or canola

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Irina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:17 You are both so lucky to have each other:) ❤️
Ya....I think so too. :wub:

evs

Unread post by evs »

:thumbup:

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Irina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:19 Mayo is easy to make but I just can’t get around to it. How do you make it meem?
Egg yolks, vinegar, a titch of mustard and oil....you can switch up oils to suit your tastes. You can add roasted garlic (fresh garlic is a little harsh)....and any other herb or spice you like. Mostly I just make it plain...and add what I like to the 'master mix' as I need it.

edit....and a blender. =)))) 10 minutes tops, to make it.

evs

Unread post by evs »

mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:16 ...oh....and mayo is too simple too....although sometimes I will get store-bought. THE BEST store-bought mayo is 'Seriously Good Mayo'....and it is seriously good. =))
My fave is thomy. It’s a German product, absolutely delish. Found only in European delis.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:26
Irina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:19 Mayo is easy to make but I just can’t get around to it. How do you make it meem?
Egg yolks, vinegar, a titch of mustard and oil....you can switch up oils to suit your tastes. You can add roasted garlic (fresh garlic is a little harsh)....and any other herb or spice you like. Mostly I just make it plain...and add what I like to the 'master mix' as I need it.

What’s the ratio yolks and oil?

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Ooooo....looks interesting. =)

evs

Unread post by evs »

mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:28 Ooooo....looks interesting. =)
You’d love it:)

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Irina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:28
mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:26

What’s the ratio yolks and oil?
omg....I've made it for so long, I don't really know what a recipe might call for. I start with a couple egg yolks in the blender....a few teaspoons (or kilometers) of dijon...a couple tablespoons (or several millemeters) of vinegar...some salt....and oil of choice...a couple of cups, which you drizzle in very slowly while your blender is running. (there is less chance of it 'breaking', if you make it in smaller batches.) So...one egg yolk and half of everything else I just said. :D

Sargent Smellibitz

mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:15
Dinky Dazza wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:40

My point is....they don't have 'best before' dates ON them.
I've never refrigerated marmite or vegemite...and if it should be refrigerated...they should have that on the label too.
Eggs and many condiments don't need to be refrigerated... but we still do to get the longest life out of them. Mustard and ketchup for instance. Many labels don't indicate but cool is always better.

asal

Unread post by asal »

mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 20:56 My spice cupboard is loaded. (maybe overloaded) :blush:
I have two masala dabbas....even though I don't cook much indian food....but one is 'everyday' herbs and spices. So...once they are in the masala dabba....even if there was 'best before dates' on spices...they would be gone once they are put in there.

I never understand buying sauces or salad dressings. They are probably THE EASIEST and quickest thing to put together than anything.
I buy those kinds of things because I get bored of my own cooking.

Get in on it.
asal

Unread post by asal »

Irina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:26
mimi wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:16 ...oh....and mayo is too simple too....although sometimes I will get store-bought. THE BEST store-bought mayo is 'Seriously Good Mayo'....and it is seriously good. =))
My fave is thomy. It’s a German product, absolutely delish. Found only in European delis.

Mmmmm good for kartoffel and noodle salad. I'll keep an eye out for that.

My confession is I don't like the taste of homemade mayonnaise. I've had it so many times, I never liked it, that's why I don't make it. Maybe I've had something like that in a restaurant and it was delicious and I didn't realize it was homemade.

Get in on it.