Free Food !

Register accountRead the forum rules
mimi

Free Food !

Unread post by mimi »

I think asal mentioned this in another thread....(I don't remember which one)...regarding growing things from stuff you might normally throw out.
About 3 weeks ago, I cut the bottom 3 or 4 inches off of a bunch of scallions...or green onions...used the green tops in dinner...then stuck the rooty bit in a cup of water for a few days. (change the water every day)
After that...get a container...any container, and fill with potting soil. Poke enough holes for each green onion, about an inch and a half deep, and stick one in each hole. Water when needed.

I mention it now, because they are now a foot tall. I snipped off a few stalks for salad tonight...and I swear they are better than what came off the original bunch. Tender and flavourful. Onions forever ftw !

I've done the same with regular onions...cutting off the bottom third and resting it on top of a glass of water with the roots touching the water. It doesn't matter how dried up, brown and crispy they are. In a few days, you will see fresh white roots...and new green spikes emerging out the top. Cut away as much of the remaining onion as possible, and stick them in the dirt. Voila...free onions. =) (although they will take much longer)

asal

Re: Free Food !

Unread post by asal »

mimi wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:03 I think asal mentioned this in another thread....(I don't remember which one)...regarding growing things from stuff you might normally throw out.
About 3 weeks ago, I cut the bottom 3 or 4 inches off of a bunch of scallions...or green onions...used the green tops in dinner...then stuck the rooty bit in a cup of water for a few days. (change the water every day)
After that...get a container...any container, and fill with potting soil. Poke enough holes for each green onion, about an inch and a half deep, and stick one in each hole. Water when needed.

I mention it now, because they are now a foot tall. I snipped off a few stalks for salad tonight...and I swear they are better than what came off the original bunch. Tender and flavourful. Onions forever ftw !

I've done the same with regular onions...cutting off the bottom third and resting it on top of a glass of water with the roots touching the water. It doesn't matter how dried up, brown and crispy they are. In a few days, you will see fresh white roots...and new green spikes emerging out the top. Cut away as much of the remaining onion as possible, and stick them in the dirt. Voila...free onions. =) (although they will take much longer)
I'm glad you liked it :) I should do that with onions. I've got an avocado pit going for my eventual free avocados for life plan.

Get in on it.
Sargent Smellibitz

Unread post by Sargent Smellibitz »

I've seen that done with garlic over a soft drink bottle with the top cut off and flattened a little with heat along the perforation... a whole bulb of garlic with water constantly topped up to touch the base of the garlic... when roots show, carefully break the bulbs away from each other and transfer into moist potting soil...

...but you have to be sure your garlic isn't modified to not reproduce... Imported Chinese garlic is notorious for that...apparently...

Sargent Smellibitz

asal wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:15
mimi wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:03 I think asal mentioned this in another thread....(I don't remember which one)...regarding growing things from stuff you might normally throw out.

I'm glad you liked it :) I should do that with onions. I've got an avocado pit going for my eventual free avocados for life plan.
Aren't avocados grown that way unable to fruit? Remembering something from a grade school science project.... I could be wrong though...

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

I've done the green onions in water before...but they were gross. They were gelatinous...slimy down the center, the green part was kind of pale and unappetizing looking...and they had little flavour. Transferring to soil is the key. At the rate they grow, I can see having free green onions, well into the fall.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Dinky Dazza wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:19 Aren't avocados grown that way unable to fruit? Remembering something from a grade school science project.... I could be wrong though...
I believe that's correct. You'll get a nice avocado plant...but I don't think it will bear fruit.

Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I wrap avocado pits in wet paper towel, place in a ziplock bag and tape it to under the sink.....it's dark and gets warm evertime I do dishes.

Check it in about a month and a few are duds are others will split open and have roots and sprout. Transfer to dirt and grow. Keep your used coffee grinds and add to the dirt.

I have one plant that is 4 years old and one that is sprouting and a few under the sink I forgot about.

They wont make fruit, nut its fun to watch them grow.

I also did this with a lemon seed some years ago...that tree grew to be over 6 feet tall, it was incredible! But it eventually got all wonky and out of control, I threw it away.

:purdy:
Sargent Smellibitz

mimi wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:27
Dinky Dazza wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:19 Aren't avocados grown that way unable to fruit? Remembering something from a grade school science project.... I could be wrong though...
I believe that's correct. You'll get a nice avocado plant...but I don't think it will bear fruit.
I looked it up... not impossible but unlikely... and it will take over ten years... nursery grown stock is a little better... but indoor growing is extremely difficult either way... and overwatering is a concern...

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Yes...me too. Learned the same thing. But 10 years is a long time to wait to discover it's a dud. :D

asal

Unread post by asal »

Dinky Dazza wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:19
asal wrote: 23 May 2020, 19:15

Aren't avocados grown that way unable to fruit? Remembering something from a grade school science project.... I could be wrong though...
You're right :tongue: I was just being silly.

edit: thank miMi for looking it up!

Get in on it.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

DD looked it up too. =))) But thanks for the thought anyways. =)

Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

:rolleyes:

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Problem whiff yer eyes, Loch ? :huh:

9 incher/160 IQ

Unread post by 9 incher/160 IQ »

You can grow potato plants from potato peelings that have eyes. Srsly.

Fuc# 0ff.
Sargent Smellibitz

.. wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:22 You can grow potato plants from potato peels that have eyes. Srsly.
Cubes are better... but yeah, everybody knows that...

9 incher/160 IQ

Cept u.

Fuc# 0ff.
Sargent Smellibitz

.. wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:24Cept u.
I hail from a long line of hillbillies... potato is in our blood...

9 incher/160 IQ

Irish australian?

Fuc# 0ff.
Sargent Smellibitz

.. wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:27Irish australian?
That and other nationalities...

9 incher/160 IQ

Ok. Good night.

Fuc# 0ff.
Sargent Smellibitz

.. wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:40Ok. Good night.
Und sie....

9 incher/160 IQ

And you . Nice. Learned a new German phrase.

Fuc# 0ff.
Sargent Smellibitz

.. wrote: 23 May 2020, 22:49 And you . Nice. Learned a new German phrase.
No problema...

...no importa.

deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

i have a loaf of bread under my sink.... i'm making my own penicillin.... :(

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Sargent Smellibitz

deadskinmask wrote: 24 May 2020, 04:39 i have a loaf of bread under my sink.... i'm making my own penicillin.... :(
I have 50 pounds of freeze dried meat under mine... I'm making our own exit...

deadskinmask

Dinky Dazza wrote: 24 May 2020, 04:51
deadskinmask wrote: 24 May 2020, 04:39 i have a loaf of bread under my sink.... i'm making my own penicillin.... :(
we could combine our resources and they would counteract each other.... :D

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Sargent Smellibitz

deadskinmask wrote: 24 May 2020, 04:57
:D

I hope to be nowhere by that time....

...this world can't continue as it has been.

deadskinmask

Dinky Dazza wrote: 24 May 2020, 07:00
deadskinmask wrote: 24 May 2020, 04:57

yeah.... i think i'll be stepping out too.... i figure about the time the national guard comes around.... i'll probably grab my 12 gauge and we can exchange forced vaccinations.... :(

Lochdubh

deadskinmask wrote: 24 May 2020, 07:11
Dinky Dazza wrote: 24 May 2020, 07:00
deadskinmask wrote: 24 May 2020, 04:57 we could combine our resources and they would counteract each other.... :D

yeah.... i think i'll be stepping out too.... i figure about the time the national guard comes around.... i'll probably grab my 12 gauge and we can exchange forced vaccinations.... :(
I'd never fire on police or troops, but I would not rule out paying a house call to a politician or a member of the judiciary.

Lochdubh

mimi wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:13 Problem whiff yer eyes, Loch ? :huh:
My eyes are up HERE. :sneaky: