Homelessness in China

Register accountRead the forum rules
caskur

Homelessness in China

Unread post by caskur »

This is good. What China doesn't want people to see.

Mad Serb

Re: Homelessness in China

Unread post by Mad Serb »

What's good about it?

Sargent Smellibitz

Unread post by Sargent Smellibitz »

caskur wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 23:04 This is good. What China doesn't want people to see.

I just watched most of this before stopping it in disgust..

Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

Setting up a Potemkin village is standard procedure for one party governments. Sweep your poop under the carpet and just pretend.............

Lochdubh

When Chinese Premier Winnie de Pooh visited California, Governor Newsom did what he could to sweep his Homeless under the rug and put His best face forward.

Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

California is way under your skin amigo. Long to be there? Trade the addicted bums for immigrants that want to work.

Seamajor

Lochdubh wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:19 Setting up a Potemkin village is standard procedure for one party governments. Sweep your poop under the carpet and just pretend.............
Anything like Putin and Russia?

Lochdubh

Seamajor wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:31
Lochdubh wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:19 Setting up a Potemkin village is standard procedure for one party governments. Sweep your poop under the carpet and just pretend.............
Anything like Putin and Russia?
Exactly like it. Playing "let's pretend" and declining to take remedial action. It is a way to stay mired in failure.

Lochdubh

Seamajor wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:31 California is way under your skin amigo. Long to be there? Trade the addicted bums for immigrants that want to work.
I can pretty much live anywhere in the US that I want to. Currently, I'm not even interested in Visiting California, much preferring BC to the Golden State.

Seamajor

:thumbup: I love the Golden State and it’s adored Governor.

Seamajor

Lochdubh wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:44 Exactly like it. Playing "let's pretend" and declining to take remedial action. It is a way to stay mired in failure.
I believe the President is doing just that, as opposed to court cases, appeals, hoping, wishing, crying, finally losing. Kind of a waste of time and effort. Count on one thing. Putin is monitoring it all.

Lochdubh

Seamajor wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:50 :thumbup: I love the Golden State and it’s adored Governor.
Well, there is no accounting for taste. Some folks even like liver and onions.

Seamajor

Liver and onions in Baltimore or BC still suck. Well maybe not so much in BC

asal

Unread post by asal »

Baja California - beautiful place.

Get in on it.
Skipper

Unread post by Skipper »

asal wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 12:50 Baja California - beautiful place.
There are murderous cartels even there

asal

Unread post by asal »

Skipper wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 13:00
There are murderous cartels even there
Yes. It probably is too dangerous to visit. I'm not a "stay in the resort" kind of person.

Get in on it.
Lochdubh

Cartel-land...............gracias, but no gracias.

soon

Unread post by soon »

i remember hearing vancouver did a sort of extra-legal crackdown on the homeless and poor during the 1986 world expo. if i had to guess that was a pretty good lesson for the left on the rights of the poor to lead a peaceful existence.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
asal

Unread post by asal »

Lochdubh wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 13:57
Cartel-land...............gracias, but no gracias.
This lady from London, Ontario did everything right to drive across mainland Mexico to Ontario - she brought a male companion for safety and brought her rescue pets - she was shot and killed recently:

What we know about the Canadian woman killed in Mexico

Mar 21, 2024

Canadian woman headed for London identified as victim in Mexico shooting

March 21, 2024
The son of a Canadian woman killed in Queretaro, Mexico, said she was on her way back to London, Ont. to look after her elderly mother.

Mexican police put out a release on Tuesday identifying the Canadian as Gabriele Schart, and added that she was killed in a shooting on March 16.

According to a GoFundMe page(opens in a new tab), "Her goal was to make it back to London, Ont. in about a week."

Police said Schart and a friend stopped in front of a convenience store to check on their pets, when they were supposedly approached by alleged criminals who threatened them into handing over their belongings.

The pair were both shot, with Schart dying at the scene while her companion was shot in the arm and taken to hospital.

According to a post by her son Corin on the Facebook page for his mother's theatre and karaoke bar in Zipolite, a town in southern Mexico, Schart was driving to the border at the time in an effort to return to Canada.

She was coming back after a decade in Zipolite to care for her mother, whose health had declined.

Global Affairs Canada said it is aware of the death of a Canadian in Mexico.

"Consular officials are providing consular assistance and support to the family and are in contact with local authorities to obtain additional information," Global Affairs said in a statement. "Due to privacy considerations, no further information can be disclosed."

The office of Mexico's attorney general in Queretaro said it could not comment beyond what had been released by police.

‘She did everything she could’

In an emailed statement to CTV News London, Schart's son Michael said his mother was always determined, no matter how difficult things got.

“My mother has always been strong-willed. No matter how tough things got, she found a way to get through it,” he said.” She moved to Scarborough, where she mainly raised myself and my brother, Corin, on her own. Things were tough then, money was scarce, and the stress was terrible for her. But, with help from friends, and determination, we made it through and things got better.”

Schart was also an avid traveller, and had been to places including England, Scotland, Iceland, Peru, the U.S., Jamaica and Ireland.

She also loved Mexico, her son said, and in particular, Zipolite.

“It became her home. And we want to return her body there. To have her buried so she can rest in a place she loved so much,” he said.

The family has started a GoFundMe to cover transportation and funeral costs.

The family grew up having an abundance of pets, including cats, rats, turtles, dogs and fish, according to Michael. In Mexico her love of animals continued, where she ended up with four dogs and two cats.

Michael said the funds will also be used to help transport her pets back to Zipolite or to new homes.

Once his mother is at rest in Mexico, Michael said he wants to have a memorial service in Canada, with any extra funds being donated to animal rescue organizations.

“She did everything she could,” Michael said.

Get in on it.
weebles2

Unread post by weebles2 »

Man I always wondered what happened to expo ernie.

asal

Unread post by asal »

weebles2 wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 14:22 Man I always wondered what happened to expo ernie.
An artist in Vancouver put on a full exhibit fairly recently.

Museum of Vancouver Expo 86 exhibit: https://myvancity.ca/2023/05/31/the-80s ... %9F%8C%8A/

May 31, 2023 by MyVanCity

We’re excited to announce Science World’s release of an exclusive Expo 86 Summer Capsule. Launching on Wednesday, May 31st, the Expo 86 Summer Capsule Collection features an assortment of products that exude the charm and energy of both Expo 86 and the iconic 80s era. As an extension of the collection’s initial release, the Summer Capsule carries on the Expo 86 logo and the iconic Expo Ernie character while bringing fun and colourful summer flair.

As a non-profit organization, Science World relies on fundraising initiatives to support its critical educational programming across the province. All funds raised by the sales from the entire Expo 86 collection will support essential programming for the non-profit and its mission to expand STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts & design, and math) learning.

From tie-dye t-shirts to bucket hats and fanny packs, this limited-run collection combines nostalgic charm with vibrant 80s-inspired summer gear.

Embrace the nostalgia and vibrant spirit of Expo 86 by visiting the Science World gift shop or browsing online at https://shop.scienceworld.ca/collections/expo-86-summer. The URL will be live at 9 am on the 31st.

Get in on it.
soon

Unread post by soon »

"That was the negative. That was the one negative."

- vancouver mayer during expo

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
caskur

Unread post by caskur »

Sargent Smellibitz wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 23:56
caskur wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 23:04 This is good. What China doesn't want people to see.

I just watched most of this before stopping it in disgust..
Why disgust? Please elaborate.