asal

Re: Major Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

Unread post by asal »

She's gonna show us the type of ignorance we have running right now :rolleyes:

Get in on it.
Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

^more cheerful than the bus-plunge channel.

Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

The real biggie is replacing the bridge span itself. Hope they make it stronger, with better support stanchions.

weebles2

Unread post by weebles2 »

The should build a tunnel then never have to worry about that potential problem again.

Seamajor

:thumbup: A sensible solution. Cost effective?

weebles2

Seamajor wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 09:38 :thumbup: A sensible solution. Cost effective?
Will let you know when us BC tax payers finally build the new massey tunnel replacement if it is over budget or under budget.

Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

Almost certainly delayed and over budget

weebles2

Lol that is true :D

Seamajor

I would imagine workers will be paid the prevailing wage for public projects. The other thing is how can an accurate estimate be made as construction materials rise every day. How can material wholesalers guarantee a price after a Contractors bid is selected? There is no way. Glad I don’t do this anymore

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

weebles2 wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 08:37 The should build a tunnel then never have to worry about that potential problem again.
There are already two tunnels but tunnels have restrictions, like transporting hazardous waste.

roll me up and smoke me when I die
Mad Serb

Seamajor wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 11:53 I would imagine workers will be paid the prevailing wage for public projects. The other thing is how can an accurate estimate be made as construction materials rise every day. How can material wholesalers guarantee a price after a Contractors bid is selected? There is no way. Glad I don’t do this anymore

If they try to anticipate cost increase and make predictions accurate, then overall for many many projects, end cost would center around predicted value with Bell curve distribution. THe fact that almost all government (and most corporate) projects get delayed and more costly shows that planners just want to please financiers and get things going. It is easier to ask for more half way thru the project and blame circumstances.

Seamajor

What makes this even harder to nail down are Sub Contracts. They would also have to pay a prevailing wage, as would anything outside of the job site. Like fabrication in a shop, factory, foundry. I’m not sure what percentage of contractors in Canada are signatory to Union contracts. Most larger outfits in the states are.

Lochdubh

The owners of the ship apparently are the first to file suit in an attempt to distance themselves from paying damages or, at the very least, limit their responsibility.

Seamajor

Not surprised. I’m trying to think of who can bare the blame?
The ship because their systems failed?
Rules regarding tugs, to slow big ships down?
Stronger base abutments to guard the support towers? That bridge fell real quick
All of the above?

Mad Serb

IMO this is to increase probability of settling a lawsuit against them

deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
Seamajor

For what it’s worth

Lochdubh

US Army corps of Engineers has target date of June first to have a 70 yard wide fifty foot deep channel dredged and ready to take on all comers. the twa provisional channels available are only 30' deep and can not accommodate large vessels.

A third corpse has been recovered from the accident site....3 remain in their temporary watery grave.

Cargoes of fuel can not use the two tunnels under the harbour and have to drive through Baltimore or swing to the west around it, adding miles to the trip.
Martin State airport, a secondary military and business facility, needs six deliveries of aviation fuel daily to supply its needs.

Sargent Smellibitz

Unread post by Sargent Smellibitz »

It certainly sounds like a strategic hack attack.

Edward

Unread post by Edward »

You want smoke?

I came to get down.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

That's not really an accident unless the captain was collapsed in the wheelhouse from a heart attack. Otherwise, it looks like the result of stupidity to me. =)))

Seamajor

Check this out Mimi. Imagine piloting this heavy ship through the bridge and power pole stanchions running with or against the tide. Then all of a sudden the ship loses power, and the ability to control the ship. At that point the Pilot had no control . I’m not sure who or what was stupid. The bridge came down real fast. Poorly engineered. Maybe you could call that stupid.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Seamajor wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 15:09 Check this out Mimi. Imagine piloting this heavy ship through the bridge and power pole stanchions running with or against the tide. Then all of a sudden the ship loses power, and the ability to control the ship. At that point the Pilot had no control . I’m not sure who or what was stupid. The bridge came down real fast. Poorly engineered. Maybe you could call that stupid.
I'm talking about the 'accident' in the Netherlands...not the Baltimore accident...which I classify as an accident, because the ship's pilot had no control over a power failure. Understanding height issues when going under a bridge, IS an avoidable 'accident'. No ?

Sargent Smellibitz

mimi wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 11:29 That's not really an accident unless the captain was collapsed in the wheelhouse from a heart attack. Otherwise, it looks like the result of stupidity to me. =)))
Well... jabbed multiple times...so, "yannow"... :biggrin:

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Sargent Smellibitz wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 21:16
mimi wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 11:29 That's not really an accident unless the captain was collapsed in the wheelhouse from a heart attack. Otherwise, it looks like the result of stupidity to me. =)))
Well... jabbed multiple times...so, "yannow"... :biggrin:
Of course. That's what it's always about...even before COVID. :rolleyes:

Sargent Smellibitz

mimi wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 21:21
Sargent Smellibitz wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 21:16 Well... jabbed multiple times...so, "yannow"... :biggrin:
Of course. That's what it's always about...even before COVID. :rolleyes:
I'm just saying... take a cab driven by an undocumented illegal worker whenever you can and think of me in your updated last will and testament because I told you, others told you, and when you inevitably start swatting at imaginary bees, wasps, 4th dimensional demonic beings, or the Grim Reaper trying to tea-bag your forehead in your last moments, it will be seconds too late to mea culpa and splash new ink. :D

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Sargent Smellibitz wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 21:47
mimi wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 21:21 Of course. That's what it's always about...even before COVID. :rolleyes:
I'm just saying... take a cab driven by an undocumented illegal worker whenever you can and think of me in your updated last will and testament because I told you, others told you, and when you inevitably start swatting at imaginary bees, wasps, 4th dimensional demonic beings, or the Grim Reaper trying to tea-bag your forehead in your last moments, it will be seconds too late to mea culpa and splash new ink. :D
That all makes PERFECT sense.

NOT !

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

How did we get from cargo ships knocking out bridges to taking a cab ? :blink: :rolleyes: :thinkig: