Desktop computers (PC)

Register accountRead the forum rules
Berry Sweet

Desktop computers (PC)

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I'm looking at purchasing a new PC...just the tower itself...I already have the screen, keyboard, etc and I do NOT want one of those all in one's.

Anyone recommend or suggest any kind of tower? And why?

I'm not a gamer, I'm more for research and I'm also looking at working from home on a PC in the near future.

:purdy:
weebles2

Re: Desktop computers (PC)

Unread post by weebles2 »

Canada computers is your local go to spot.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/

weebles2

I bought a pre built dell XPS back in 2013 it was alright but they lack the ability to upgrade compared to if you were to spec and build it yourself.

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Berry Sweet wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:00 I'm looking at purchasing a new PC...just the tower itself...I already have the screen, keyboard, etc and I do NOT want one of those all in one's.

I'm not a gamer, I'm more for research and I'm also looking at working from home on a PC in the near future.
I still love me a desktop. We just renewed our computers, and we got HP. Of course they came with Windows 11 which sucks more than any other Windows to date. I hang on to my laptop, because it still has Windows 10, which allows me to run Corel...Windows 11 doesn't.
I have a tablet as well...and it only occurred to me the other day, that I haven't seen it since we've been in our new place. Whatever. :D

weebles2

A classic how too video tutorial

soon

Unread post by soon »

a mid pc with a low end graphics card should bee a relatively inexpensive buy. i'd look at an intel and compare processor speed, ram, and i'd try to find one with at least a one terabyte ssd card.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
Berry Sweet

mimi wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:11
Berry Sweet wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:00 I'm looking at purchasing a new PC...just the tower itself...I already have the screen, keyboard, etc and I do NOT want one of those all in one's.

I still love me a desktop. We just renewed our computers, and we got HP. Of course they came with Windows 11 which sucks more than any other Windows to date. I hang on to my laptop, because it still has Windows 10, which allows me to run Corel...Windows 11 doesn't.
I have a tablet as well...and it only occurred to me the other day, that I haven't seen it since we've been in our new place. Whatever. :D
I went to Best Buy today asking questions. I got my eyes on an HP. One guy told me to wait till it goes on sale cause it does every now and then.

I also have my phone and tablet..I want to go old school and sit at an actual desk again. Plus I need the storage space and all the pizzazz.

Berry Sweet

soon wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:29 a mid pc with a low end graphics card should bee a relatively inexpensive buy. i'd look at an intel and compare processor speed, ram, and i'd try to find one with at least a one terabyte ssd card.
I know that's storage but what exactly is that?

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Berry Sweet wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 20:04
mimi wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:11 I still love me a desktop. We just renewed our computers, and we got HP. Of course they came with Windows 11 which sucks more than any other Windows to date. I hang on to my laptop, because it still has Windows 10, which allows me to run Corel...Windows 11 doesn't.

I went to Best Buy today asking questions. I got my eyes on an HP. One guy told me to wait till it goes on sale cause it does every now and then.

I also have my phone and tablet..I want to go old school and sit at an actual desk again. Plus I need the storage space and all the pizzazz.
A desktop is not 'old-school'. Only people who are content to depend only on their phones and tablets say that. But not everybody does.

soon

Unread post by soon »

your average mid pc comes with a 512 gigabyte ssd card. just make sure you're not buying a pc with an hdd drive which is obsolete.

if i needed a new computer i'd rush over to memory express in burnaby and snag this one tonight. yeah it's a gaming pc but it's a really good price for all the features. hence the fact that there's only one left and it's at the burnaby store.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00126279

soon

Unread post by soon »

id' bet dollars to donuts that the pc at memory express has a motherboard with a slot for a M.2 ssd card. then you can buy another one terabyte M.2 ssd for cheap and double your storage space if you need it.

Edward

Unread post by Edward »

Haven't had a desktop for about 25 years.

I came to get down.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Edward wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 20:51 Haven't had a desktop for about 25 years.
I've never been without one for over 30 years. :D I have all the other options, but there is always a sense of stability with a desktop.
That may or may not be true...but it works for me.

Edward

Unread post by Edward »

You can't lay on your back in bed with it on your stomach while your head is propped up on pillows like a laptop.
:(

I came to get down.
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Edward wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 20:58 You can't lay on your back in bed with it on your stomach while your head is propped up on pillows like a laptop.
:(
:D :D :D

That's true. :D

evs

Unread post by evs »

mimi wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:11

That’s how much you needed that tablet:))

~ plaid ~
soon

Unread post by soon »

i only use my tablet to read books. i think it runs on ice cream sandwich which is an old flavour of android but it still runs kobo and that's all that matters.

evs

Unread post by evs »

My laptop reminds me of work too much, so for fun I only use phone.

~ plaid ~
Pantalon de Singe

Unread post by Pantalon de Singe »

Look at used gaming machines. A lot of ̶l̶a̶m̶e̶r̶s gamers have to have the latest and greatest in hardware and fire sale their old stuff. Even if your not a gamer they are usually modular and very powerful for internet use. For video streaming they are exceptional.

˙ǝlʎʇs ɯnɹoɟ ʇlnɐɟǝp ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉsn pǝʍǝᴉʌ uǝɥʍ (ʞooqʇǝN ,,ᄅƖ) ʎɐldsᴉp xd 89ㄥ × ㄣᄅ0Ɩ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɐ uo (ɯɔ Ɛ~) ʇɥƃᴉǝɥ uᴉ ,,lɐɯɹoN,, ǝzᴉs ʇxǝʇ ɟo sǝuᴉl ϛ uɐɥʇ ǝɹoɯ ou ǝq plnoɥs sǝɹnʇɐuƃᴉS
weebles2

Did you end up finding any good deals?

Berry Sweet

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm in the planning stages. I posted here because I wanted tobsee what some of you had to say.

Soon gave me some good information. Thank you.

soon

Unread post by soon »

the sad part is reddit keeps serving me an intel ad with a memory express link. speaking of which that smoking hot deal i posted from memory express is officially gone now.

soon

Unread post by soon »

the way it works is retailers like memory express and canada computers get some really good deals from the manufacturers and you have to buy them as soon as the sale starts.

soon

Unread post by soon »

personally i'd prefer a recent intel i7 chip and the 3070 super nvidia graphics card but at $850 dollars i would have made a compromise.