Importance of target marketing

Moderator: J0E

Lochdubh

Importance of target marketing

Unread post by Lochdubh »

In any new business, it is essential to begin the marketing campaign by focusing time and resources on your target market....identifying low hanging fruit. Jump starting positive cash flow is vital, and the owner/operator has to resist the temptation to pursue every potential customer in favour of selectively identifying customers most likely to have an immediate need. Indeed, there are some customers that a new business simply can not afford - corporate black holes that will swallow time and opportunity cost.
Service.......truly excellent personal service is the very best strategy for self promotion, and making certain that a customer stays on your books. Be certain to ASK for the order, and take time to touch base at every conceivable opportunity. Everyone is selling something, and that old adage "people buy from people" is very true, even if you do not have an absolute price advantage. Your expertise and interest in your customers' success is more important than price.

evs

Re: Importance of target marketing

Unread post by evs »

well said. couldn't agree more.

but how do people decide they want to start a business - or in other words - should that be something they do because they are forced to because they can't find other work or should that be a choice btwn more and less pay for the same amount of work, or..?

~ plaid ~
Lochdubh

Unread post by Lochdubh »

Many successful entrepreneurs have an idea that is simple enough to be put into practice without a ton of money or a large staff. I suppose there are successes based upon pure necessity (OMG, I've lost my job, and the mortgage is due), but I'd bet that this sort of thing is a relatively small minority of successful start ups. As a small business owner, it is axiomatic that you can work any 60 hours of the week that you want. I had been in large, rigid bureaucratic organizations, and was ready to live life on my own terms. Initially it was both exhilirating and frightening. I'm still a one man band, but never am forced to do anything that I don't completely understand or see the value in.

evs

Unread post by evs »

but never am forced to do anything that I don't completely understand or see the value in.
How excruciatingly attractive that sounds to me you have no idea:))

~ plaid ~